Tacome 4dr long box vs access cab long box

Oldmancrash

Adventurer
I am looking at upgrading from my 95 tacoma access cab to a new one, maybe. Here is my question. I like the idea of a 4 dr long box for hauling the occasional extra person or 2 (but does not happen very often) or for inside covered storage. But from what I have found in forums and videos that I have watched. The 4 door long box gets a little long and kind of hard to navigate on tight twisting trails. Is the pain worth it or would I be better just getting a access cab and long box? I know I want the long box so I have a little more of an area for storage. The only reason I am looking at a new tacoma is strictly because of overlanding adventures I want to plan. Heck I might just be better off keeping my trusty non rusty ol 95 and build her up. Thank you for and very nice forum here.

matt marquardt

Adventurer
I know where your at.....
I bought the access cab. If I had more than one passenger more often maybe I would have got the 4 door but the long bed was outa the question and the short bed is about useless.

Maybe where our thoughts differ is that I have a 4Runner for when I have a larger crew. I have the option already.

I think you have already answered your question - you want the access cab. I feel compelled to defence the double cab shortbox which is amazing (I have a 2013) and fits a family of 5 plus a dog really nicely (dog goes in the Softopper)

itshanney

I own a 2008 access cab and contemplated selling it to get a TRD double cab to build up. My friend talked me out of it with a couple of good points. First, the number of times I would carry extra people is very slim. The wife and child can fit in the truck no problem, so that's good. Future kids are an issue but a bridge to cross when we get there since I would rarely take the entire family on a truly off-the-grid trip. Second, with the long bed, since I'm less than 6' tall, I can sleep comfortably in the bed with a sleeping platform. This is HUGE considering I'm in the northwest where rain and winds are the norm and sleeping on the ground in a tent is no fun. And not having a roof top tent is one less thing to worry about. Finally, my friend convinced me buying the TRD edition is useless since I'm going to rip out the suspension and put my own and can install an air locker - he's right. Why pay the TRD premium if I'm ripping it out to put in my own stuff? Taking my regular SR5 and building it up is just fine.

As far as building up your 1995, I see nothing wrong with that either. You will find that the dimensions of a newer Tacoma is larger than your existing one. So I would be pretty inclined to keep your truck. There are also tons of aftermarket parts since the number of those trucks sold is huge. Lift kit, tires, air locker, bumper + winch and you're set, probably for around $5K, less if you can find good used deals. The only caveat is if your truck is in need of an overhaul on the engine + drivetrain components. If that's the case, the economics start getting questionable based on the amount of work to do.

In the end, I say stick with the access cab. Do NOT get the double cab + long bed because it's just too long - unless you love the sound of metal scraping on every piece of earth or rock you traverse. I would also cast my vote for keeping the 1995 and building it up. You always have notes for a future build and it probably would be very easy to sell the truck if you did decide you wanted a new one.

NikonRon

Adventurer
Myself I like the access cab, for me its nice not having to maneuver around an open door to get to my gear in the back. And the long bed is a necessity for me for sleeping in. I think you'll be much happier with the access cab. Ron

NikonRon

Adventurer
I did remove the rear seats and console to build a platform in back also. ARB fridge and photo backpacks reside there, plus storage under the platform. 99.9% of the time it is me alone in the truck. My kids are long since grown and gone too. Ron

Oldmancrash

Adventurer
I own a 2008 access cab and contemplated selling it to get a TRD double cab to build up. My friend talked me out of it with a couple of good points. First, the number of times I would carry extra people is very slim. The wife and child can fit in the truck no problem, so that's good. Future kids are an issue but a bridge to cross when we get there since I would rarely take the entire family on a truly off-the-grid trip. Second, with the long bed, since I'm less than 6' tall, I can sleep comfortably in the bed with a sleeping platform. This is HUGE considering I'm in the northwest where rain and winds are the norm and sleeping on the ground in a tent is no fun. And not having a roof top tent is one less thing to worry about. Finally, my friend convinced me buying the TRD edition is useless since I'm going to rip out the suspension and put my own and can install an air locker - he's right. Why pay the TRD premium if I'm ripping it out to put in my own stuff? Taking my regular SR5 and building it up is just fine.

As far as building up your 1995, I see nothing wrong with that either. You will find that the dimensions of a newer Tacoma is larger than your existing one. So I would be pretty inclined to keep your truck. There are also tons of aftermarket parts since the number of those trucks sold is huge. Lift kit, tires, air locker, bumper + winch and you're set, probably for around $5K, less if you can find good used deals. The only caveat is if your truck is in need of an overhaul on the engine + drivetrain components. If that's the case, the economics start getting questionable based on the amount of work to do.

In the end, I say stick with the access cab. Do NOT get the double cab + long bed because it's just too long - unless you love the sound of metal scraping on every piece of earth or rock you traverse. I would also cast my vote for keeping the 1995 and building it up. You always have notes for a future build and it probably would be very easy to sell the truck if you did decide you wanted a new one.

I have been really tossing the idea of building the 95. I had new head gaskets, timing gears, hoses, belts, plugs, water pump, radiator put in this spring. It only has 180,xxx on the odometer. Nice thing is she is a very straight rust free truck with a fiberglass topper. I put new 16's on her with some toyo AT open countries that seem to work really well in the snow here (when we get it any more). Figuring that the gears could stand a replacing because of age and wear (I havent open the difs yet to inspect) that regearing and adding arb airlockers would be good timing. But on the other hand I sure like the idea of the opening access doors??? Dang this is tough LOL

Oldmancrash

Adventurer
I think you have already answered your question - you want the access cab. I feel compelled to defence the double cab shortbox which is amazing (I have a 2013) and fits a family of 5 plus a dog really nicely (dog goes in the Softopper)

HAHA you very well could be right. Access cab might just be the way. My kiddos are grown and gone so it is just me and my wife and a couple dogs.

Oldmancrash

Adventurer
I did remove the rear seats and console to build a platform in back also. ARB fridge and photo backpacks reside there, plus storage under the platform. 99.9% of the time it is me alone in the truck. My kids are long since grown and gone too. Ron

My wife and I and our kids use to ATV all over the west. We usually ran about 3000 -3500 miles a year on them. With the kids being on their own now there is no chance in the world I could go out wheelin on my own without my wife. Which I am ok with LOL

Oldmancrash

Adventurer
I know where your at.....
I bought the access cab. If I had more than one passenger more often maybe I would have got the 4 door but the long bed was outa the question and the short bed is about useless.

Maybe where our thoughts differ is that I have a 4Runner for when I have a larger crew. I have the option already.

yea my only other rigs are a work commute car and my wife's car that gets parked in the winter as it is a summer car only.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I'm curious why you feel you'll need the extra space of the long bed. I have a DCSB and have never had a volume problem. I've run multi-day trips with two other adults and a car seat and been fine. Weight is always an issue before volume.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have been really tossing the idea of building the 95. I had new head gaskets, timing gears, hoses, belts, plugs, water pump, radiator put in this spring. It only has 180,xxx on the odometer. Nice thing is she is a very straight rust free truck with a fiberglass topper. I put new 16's on her with some toyo AT open countries that seem to work really well in the snow here (when we get it any more). Figuring that the gears could stand a replacing because of age and wear (I havent open the difs yet to inspect) that regearing and adding arb airlockers would be good timing. But on the other hand I sure like the idea of the opening access doors??? Dang this is tough LOL

You can keep your '95 running an awful long time with money you would of spent on a new[er] one.

I battle the same dilemma...I tend to make up solutions for problems I don't have. Yeah a new truck would be nice...would be too afraid to "really" use it though. Don't care if the current one gets scratched and dented...or my muddy wet dog jumps in. I think I am going to pick another 1st gen Taco or a mid 90's pickup, or even a early 80's pickup. The $30K++ I wouldn't spend on a new truck will keep three vehicles running for a long time. (We have a Trooper too)

$30K also buys a heck of a lot of fuel and beer. :ylsmoke:

I'm curious why you feel you'll need the extra space of the long bed. I have a DCSB and have never had a volume problem. I've run multi-day trips with two other adults and a car seat and been fine. Weight is always an issue before volume.

I run out of room in my 6' bed with a topper...the stumpy bed would drive me nuts personally. Though we take a lot of gear, dirt bike and mountain bike gear to go on top of the camping gear. While not heavy...gear bags, extra tires, coolers, chuck box, and such takes up a lot of room. About at the point of enclosing my trailer to offset the gear load out of the truck.

My Trooper even annoys me, since you can't carry anything too long.

Last edited:

Oldmancrash

Adventurer

I need a long bed because I am 6'2 and sleeping in a short box is just not a pretty picture for this old fat guy. Plus Where I do a lot of my camping here (if not in our old motorhome) is in the heart of grizzly country so a tent just isn't a good idea. I know just my over active mind playing games. Oh I agree weight is more of a concern and I know a shorter wheelbase is better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94