Iron Pig, The FJ55

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Loving this thread!

Kurt....Post up some pictures of your new Pig i keep hearing about!

The barn find rough one? It in far worse shape than I would have wished. While parked since 88, it was a bit beat up then and they used it as a shelf for the last 25 years, the roof is literally dented front to back. I've made the owner an offer, likely a parts rig only :(

Willman

The barn find rough one? It in far worse shape than I would have wished. While parked since 88, it was a bit beat up then and they used it as a shelf for the last 25 years, the roof is literally dented front to back. I've made the owner an offer, likely a parts rig only :(

Thats the one. Bummer it was in bad shape.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
Chad,

Just thinking here, but with the 5.3 chevy in the 55 and the h55 transmission, which is the 5 speed, I don't think it would be any different than towing with the 2004 Silverado, that the motor came out of. If your trailer has brakes and the 55 has good brakes, then I don't see a problem. I wouldn't try to tow that much with a stock landcruiser, though. I'll admit a lot to spend just to tow something.

Maybe. But an '04 Silverado has a mandrel bent tube frame, the 55 has 2 c-channels riveted together. That causes flex in the frame that will effect stability in towing a heavy load. The Chev is also around 10" wider and 20" longer which would help a lot in towing stability. To my knowledge, I don't know of anyone modifying a 55 to be a tow vehicle for a built 40. It may do just fine, I just don't know. What I do know is I feel I'm pushing my 100 series to the limit with what I tow and that is with trailer brakes and airbags.

onemanarmy

Explorer
Speaking of doors that won't stay shut....anyone have a good solution for that?

My driver door won't stay shut due to the revolving 'striker' being worn out. Looking to replace it, but seems like a crap design anyway.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Going to look at a "Pig" the week after next. If it has ambulance doors its gunna be hard to say no....

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
That is a beauty Ron!

A very special FJ55 just landed here in Utah as part of the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum collection, VERY original... the best I've ever laid eyes on. :cool:

davegonz

Explorer
I love Ron's pig.

Here's my rust bucket and OM617 engine swap. It's almost there.....

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hamps-new-home.743928/

20141027_084008-jpg.959848

uploadfromtaptalk1416533153969-jpg.967845

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior