Iron Pig, The FJ55

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Thanks guys,

I appreciate the comments.

Zimm, I agree, but if you leave them unattended with that hole in fender, means the rockers, gutters, body mounts are all shot and the doors are sagging at the hinges. You don't have very long to enjoy the patina before it's useless, especially in the East. Most people sell them when they can't close a door or their feet are dragging in the dirt, so you almost have no choice, but to start patching. I was lucky to have one from Az. and just starting to rust, so the PO put some IPOR rockers on it. I went over board on rust prevention, etc., so we could travel in it for as long as I can.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
I would love to have a resto-modded 55 or 45LV as a daily. I would just need to build it up enough to tow my 40 on a trailer...

gwittman

Adventurer
I owned a red and white 73 FJ55 from 77 until around 91. I never heard of them being called an Iron Pig. I just called it a tank. I loved that thing. Other than the rust problem it seems almost everything rubber deteriorated also. I had to switch to silicone brake fluid to keep the brake wheel cylinders from freezing up due to corrosion. Engine and drivetrain wise, it was a tank, very sturdy. The only problem I had with the engine was the points. I had to constantly put in new ones until I found out about a capacitance discharge system to add to it. I never had to change the points after I installed that CD system.

Somehow my wife got it when we divorced. Every time I see one it sure does bring back good memories.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
CreeperSleeper,

Just add a 5.3 Vortec and a 5 speed, good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Scrapdaddy, you are going to have the nicest pig ever once you're finished. You've clearly put a ton of work and love into that cruiser and it really shows.

Here is my pig. 1973 All stock. Going to get a 3FE someday and 5 speed. Power steering and disk brakes but other then that, going to stay pretty mild. I just want to make it comfy and nice to drive around as a DD or road triper. I think this cruiser could be a sweet truck for road trips.. other then the crap MPG. The pigs are so unique and cool.

20130706_201423_zps92e98653.jpg

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
I'm not worried about the power. That is easy to swap in. I'm more worried about the brakes and chassis stiffness and width. Those items are a little more difficult...

I fish plated the frame at the motor mounts and where I added the power steering. As far as width, not too big a deal, need to be worried about the height of the motor and the contact between the oilpan and diff. I used FJ 60 axles for the disc brakes, which gives you a wider stance, since the axle is @ 3 inches wider than a 55. This also helps position the motor a little farther from the diff.

There's a lot of nice 55 builds going on, over on MUD.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
That's going to make for a very, very nice 55. My comments on towing are just me being anal. I tow with my 100-Series and I feel it is very much at it's limit. As much as I would love a 55 or LV, I have some serious concerns with towing my 40. Not saying it isn't possible, I would just need to see. Once yours is done, hook up 7k lbs to the hitch and lets see how she does!

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Chad,

Just thinking here, but with the 5.3 chevy in the 55 and the h55 transmission, which is the 5 speed, I don't think it would be any different than towing with the 2004 Silverado, that the motor came out of. If your trailer has brakes and the 55 has good brakes, then I don't see a problem. I wouldn't try to tow that much with a stock landcruiser, though. I'll admit a lot to spend just to tow something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior