James Baroud Horizon Vision Roof Top Tent

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
http://expeditionportal.com/first-impressions-james-baroud-horizon-vision-roof-top-tent/

http://www.jamesbaroudusa.com/products/soft-tents/horizon-vision/

Part 2
http://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-james-baroud-horizon-vision/#content

Edit: 12-JAN-2015, just found this video of the tent flipping open and then pulled closed.

Following the home page article, I wanted to ask some follow up questions?

Do you need to use the extra supports or can the ladder alone support the suspended end?

Are there any nets on the inside?

IMG_8689.jpeg

IMG_8609.jpeg

Last edited:
Beowulf

My name is Craig Davidson, I am the Operation Manager at James Baroud USA. We highly recommend that you use the support system and not just the ladder alone. There is no storage netting on the inside of the tents. If you have any further questions you may email me at craigd@jamesbaroudusa.com

concretejungle

Adventurer
I saw this tent at Cruise Moab. Fantastic tent.

If i were to get a "fold over" tent, this is the one.

It appears that the supports are required, and after seeing them first hand i wouldn't hesitate to use them. They are not bulky and out of the ordinary. I find it a much more secure platform than some of the other tents out there that use the ladder.

That is strictly my opinion.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I like that type of first hand feedback. This is definitely going in my list to consider when I finally want to pull the trigger.

concretejungle

Adventurer
based on the photos, it also appears that the fabric is the same fabric that is on the Space Evo and other hard shell tents they produce. On my Space Evo i have slept in heavy rain and snow with my feet/bag touching the tent fabric and it did not seep through. I think it's fantastic fabric, so if it is the same i would think that is a plus as well.

based on the photos, it also appears that the fabric is the same fabric that is on the Space Evo and other hard shell tents they produce. On my Space Evo i have slept in heavy rain and snow with my feet/bag touching the tent fabric and it did not seep through. I think it's fantastic fabric, so if it is the same i would think that is a plus as well.

You are correct, the soft shell tents fabric is the same as the hard shell tent. All are 100% waterproof, breathable, UV protected and wind tested to 75 mph.

Plano26

Hello, question regarding the RTT; can you mount it to factory roof rack with rails? I have a 14' Toyota 4Runner and don't have a rack (yet). thank you.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Craig,

In the follow up article, it is mentioned the ladder attachments are plastic. If true, is that part available for separate purchase once broken?

Bluedog225

Observer
Can you list some prices? The dealer map kind of fails in terms of finding actual tents and prices. I tried several. Thanks.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Agreed. MSRP would be nice for Tent, Thermal Kit, and Annex.

Tent I have seen for $2395. Themal Kit for $300. But, I have not seen anything for the Annex.

thairish

Observer
The tent weighs 110 lbs according Craig at Baroud USA??

"Yes the Vision weights 110 lbs. The 88lbs came from Portugal when we made the catalog and web page. We put a tent on the scale ourselves and found that it weights 110 lbs. WE are in the process of changing the web page and our catalogs.

Thanks
Craig"

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I will make that weight correction in my review on the home page. Sorry for the confusion on that.

I have to say, this is one of the better products I have reviewed in the last couple of years, and I do approach these things with a critical eye. I try to put myself in the position of the average end user and this tent simply outperformed my expectations on nearly every level. It's a superb product and the support network at JB-USA is fantastic, as evidenced by Craig's immediate attention with this thread.

That's the x-factor that's hard to fit in a review, but one of the most compelling aspects of product ownership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94