Royal Enfield Classic Battle Green

Patrollife

Explorer
For starters, I'm completely new to the adventure motorcycle world but a seasoned overlander. Today, I checked out a Royal Enfield Classic Battle Green motorcycle, which has now sparked my interest and thirst for more knowledge of this motorcycle. If things were to work out, I would be using this bike as my introduction to adventure motorcycling with weekend/day trips on pavement and the occasional dirt road. Can anyone share their thoughts/feedback/experiences with the mentioned make and model? Thanks in advance!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
All of the motorcycle publications' reviews I've read think the bikes are pretty cool, agree that they look the business, celebrate their lightness and simplicity and are glad they're on offer here. But they report they are quite slow, both in acceleration and cruising speed, generally have really serious vibrations, don't have many dealers around and don't have "modern" fit and finish and reliability.

That said, the most recent edition of Motorcycle Consumer News rated the Royal Enfield Continental GT as highly as the Yamaha SR400--3.5 stars--so it's not like merit at all in them. But I suggest they might not be the best choice for an only bike, or one you might need to rely on in the middle of nowhere, unless you have necessary mechanical skills and parts.

I'm sure there are lots of opinons (always are ;) ) over on http://advrider.com. Try a search there and also search the web for road tests. Good luck.

Patrollife

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback, Mike! Been digging around a bit more on this site and will certainly look into advrider.com. The Royal Enfield's price point and design is what attracts me to it!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The Royal Enfield's price point and design is what attracts me to it!
Perfectly understandable. I think two-thirds of all experienced motorcyclists have at some point considered one, however briefly, thinking that the price was great and the small, light and simple nature of the bike would be a lot of fun. I really want to like them. But the Enfields don't match up well with most modern bikes, and they have to be purchased with reasonable expectations. In the MCN test of the new Continental I mentioned earlier, one of the two reviewers thought it was OK and kind of fun, but the other reviewer wrote this:

Royal enfield.jpg

And the Continental is the newest, most advanced of the line.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of getting one, and I only know a lot about the topic because I've spent so much time personally contemplating one. But it always comes down to the fact that the nice low purchase price will also buy a lot of decent used overlanding bikes, including such usually trouble-free models as the KLR, the DR650 and DR-Z400, and the Vstrom 650. Less of a challenge and less "cool," but I had a bunch of late sixties/early seventies British bikes that you couldn't trust to get you where you wanted to go, and the current Royal Enfields have left in a little too much of that "nostalgia" for me.

Expedition Leader
I think two-thirds of all experienced motorcyclists have at some point considered one, however briefly, ...

I'm definitely one of the 1/3 then, but having worked on the original British-made Enfields when I was a mechanic, I am prejudiced against them. Couldn't say if the boys from India have improved the manufacturing or not, but the basic design is post-WWII and was not that great even back then.

Patrollife

Explorer
I'm glad I went to see the bike with a buddy of mine, who rides frequently on the weekends, is a part of a group, and rides a Yamaha V-max. He is looking into getting a Triumph Tiger or the BMW equivalent (or should I have said that the other way around?). He could tell I was emotionally involved with the Royal Enfield and talked me into thinking about the purchase a bit more. I was literally ready to go home with the Enfield on the spot, since I loved the design so much. Sounds like that is the best thing it has going for it. Need to think this through more.

BlackdogGS

Observer
I was at an ADVRider rally (Wetfest, Skamakawa WA) a few weeks ago and one of the guys had one there. It was all packed and looked the part, nice looking bike. But yes, it lacks in power and is marginal on highways. It would be a nice second bike. If your stuck on it I'd start searching for a late model used one. Good luck on whatever you do and yes, ADVRider is an outstanding source of info.

Patrollife

Explorer
Thanks, BlackdogGS. I've broadened my search a bit after reading the reviews. Will post a pic of the bike I end up going with; or asking for more feedback and advice. One thing is for sure, these forums prove incredibly useful time and time again. Much appreciation to all who have chimed in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles