ExPo 70 Series Registry

ca18_sean

Adventurer
oh your not going to remove the granny hat are you?! :) that's what we used to refer to them as. they are an OEM part and are actually very useful in tropical climates as it keeps the sun high in the sky from destroying the dashtop.

If you weren't on another continent, I'd happily buy it from you!

i see you also have the rear ventilation loover modification to vent the engine bay, i had that on my first 1988 HJ75, at the time i didn't think twice about it, but later in life i realized that it probably wasn't OEM and must have been done by a previous owner. I've since seen it on one other HJ75, so it might be a common modification done by a few particular australian mechanics (maybe just in the tropical north) to keep the temperatures down. if you get a chance to have a look, i'd like to know if the cutout looks factory to confirm what i think... either way I'd suggest you take it out and have a look, as being a modification there's a chance the hole they cut wasn't painted or rustproofed as well as what you'd expect from factory.

cheers,

Ha! I didn't realize it was such a helpful item... being in sunny (HOT) Florida maybe I'll keep the shade for awhile and see if it's something that grows on me.

Just looking at other 70 series online I've seen quite a few that have the second vent by the battery, so I'm unsure if it's a factory thing or something Australians like to add. Either way I will definitely check it out and make sure it's painted under there. I want to say I read somewhere that the dual battery trucks came from the factory with the fender vent there, but I really can't remember where I saw that.

I plan on removing as much of the trim that I can before paint to chase down rust. Looks like there might be some around the windscreen from other pics I've seen of the truck, so I'm planning on pulling that as well.

damienperu

Observer
I want to say I read somewhere that the dual battery trucks came from the factory with the fender vent there, but I really can't remember where I saw that.

mine wasn't a dual battery and it had one, i think i looked up my old vehicle the EPC and couldn't find mention of it, but i might be thinking about something else. either way, being the late 80's it wouldn't suprize me one bit even if a couple of toyota dealers in australia back then just did the mod themselves on teh hunch it would reduce overheating issues (which i still had many of in tropical north queensland)

I plan on removing as much of the trim that I can before paint to chase down rust. Looks like there might be some around the windscreen from other pics I've seen of the truck, so I'm planning on pulling that as well.

yeah if this will be a keeper, i'd plan on doing a full strip down, bit of sandblasting and repaint before you spend another dime on it. in the photo I can see evidence that it's had a ''to sell" paint job. old australian 4x4s from teh 70's-90's era are notorious for a high risk of having done a lot of beach driving. not all of them are necessarily bad, but you have a huge percentage of the population with a 4x4s living near the salty-aired coast, and most of them, especially in queensland and western australia, enjoy getting out camping and fishing on the beaches. its tightened up in the last 15 years, but the in 80's and 90's you could drive on just about any beach anywhere. I would say vehicles from the greater brisbane area are particularly risky, as you have five huge sand islands (fraser, bribie, moreton, nth/sth stradbroke) that offer many hundreds of kilometers of legal nearby beach driving on surf beaches for residents in that area.

if it has some dubious rust repairs, tell me the name of the newspaper they used to hold the filler in place and i can tell you where it used to live! :)

ca18_sean

Adventurer
yeah if this will be a keeper, i'd plan on doing a full strip down, bit of sandblasting and repaint before you spend another dime on it. in the photo I can see evidence that it's had a ''to sell" paint job. old australian 4x4s from teh 70's-90's era are notorious for a high risk of having done a lot of beach driving. not all of them are necessarily bad, but you have a huge percentage of the population with a 4x4s living near the salty-aired coast, and most of them, especially in queensland and western australia, enjoy getting out camping and fishing on the beaches. its tightened up in the last 15 years, but the in 80's and 90's you could drive on just about any beach anywhere. I would say vehicles from the greater brisbane area are particularly risky, as you have five huge sand islands (fraser, bribie, moreton, nth/sth stradbroke) that offer many hundreds of kilometers of legal nearby beach driving on surf beaches for residents in that area.

if it has some dubious rust repairs, tell me the name of the newspaper they used to hold the filler in place and i can tell you where it used to live! :)

The story as the seller told me was that an older guy used the truck for the past 20 years before moving into an assisted living facility. The paint is pretty terrible, but everything underneath looks relatively rust free. I'm anxious to get it unloaded at my shop and get a clear picture of what needs to be done :) I'm hoping it's minimal but prepared to fix just about anything.

An example of the "rust repair" that was done.

DSC01880_zpse6ac0be8.jpg

damienperu

Observer
I would say that may not be such a bad sign, as at least it looks like a functional repair (and old guy just wanting to pass roadworthy certificate maybe?), not the repair type he was trying hard to hide. you can never really tell though until you get all her clothes off and fondle her curves with a magnet

Cruiser79

Observer
Hi there,

This is my 2002 Landcruiser HZJ79. I use it most of the time for work, but during holidays I place a Sixpac slide in camper on it. I bought the Sixpac to try or I like camping with a truckcamper. I really like it, and I hope I can build or buy a pop up camper within a few years. Plan is to fit a flat bed instead of the original tray, so I can place a flatbed pop up camper.

For my work I have a toolbox/hardtop with al my equipment in it. When it's snowing I can remove the hardtop and place a saltspreader in the tray, and mount a snowplough in the front.

Here are some pictures of my cruiser:

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

10462926_625894947508165_1375117830146107277_n.jpg

ca18_sean

Adventurer
oh your not going to remove the granny hat are you?! :) that's what we used to refer to them as. they are an OEM part and are actually very useful in tropical climates as it keeps the sun high in the sky from destroying the dashtop.

If you weren't on another continent, I'd happily buy it from you!

i see you also have the rear ventilation loover modification to vent the engine bay, i had that on my first 1988 HJ75, at the time i didn't think twice about it, but later in life i realized that it probably wasn't OEM and must have been done by a previous owner. I've since seen it on one other HJ75, so it might be a common modification done by a few particular australian mechanics (maybe just in the tropical north) to keep the temperatures down. if you get a chance to have a look, i'd like to know if the cutout looks factory to confirm what i think... either way I'd suggest you take it out and have a look, as being a modification there's a chance the hole they cut wasn't painted or rustproofed as well as what you'd expect from factory.

cheers,

After a long wait to get assigned to a shipper, then plenty of issues during shipping (semi truck broke down, twice) my cruiser finally arrived. Overall it's in pretty close to the shape or even slightly better than I expected it to be in, drove nice on the 3 mile drive home from the mall where I had to meet the semi truck. My one complaint...

The *&%#$@# "granny hat" sunvisor ripped off during transit! The whole thing sheared off on one side! Which caused the visor to whip across and shatter my driver side door glass :( also dented the door pretty good... ugh. Oh well, it will get fixed with the other body work I suppose. Can't wait to start tearing her apart. I'll start a build thread soon!

2a5f6525b517fd2c57077a9822ef3320.jpg

37ead724c020598ab068b3f6cfd819a9.jpg

edit, on the plus side, it has an OME lift kit installed... so that's cool :)

elkhntr

70 Series Registry Entry

Not real active on this site, but here goes ...

Name Sam

Year/Model 9/86 BJ73LV-MRW

Country of import It came to the US via Spain where it appears to have lived its life until 2013.

Kms/Miles 253,xxx Kms

Options/Specs The truck is a basic EU spec model. Vinyl seats, rubber flooring, 3B / H55 / FF rear with limited slip. It is LHD :)

Mods Snorkle with precleaner of unknown manufacturer, Ironman shocks, unknown mfg add-a-leafs for ~1.25" of lift, 32" GY DuraTracs on blacked out AR23 wheels, chopped ARB front bumper with Plasma 12,000 pound 24V winch, MUD4x4 rear bumper, Outpost OffRoad Sliders

Plans Install Terrain Tamer shackles and pins. Keep driving and enjoying it. Eventually, will probably install a Harrop eLocker. Keep driving it and trying to wipe the s--teating grin off my face ...

A couple of pictures from a recent outing at URE.

Attachments

• 20150618_125823.jpg
    20150618_125823.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 53
  • ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434720035.879779.jpg
    ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434720035.879779.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 56

damienperu

Observer
The *&%#$@# "granny hat" sunvisor ripped off during transit! The whole thing sheared off on one side! Which caused the visor to whip across and shatter my driver side door glass :( also dented the door pretty good... ugh.

after all that how ironic! although maybe you can ask Cruiser79 if he'll sell you his... two 70's with granny hats posted in a row! although his looks more like a cool middle-age grandfather cap than a granny hat.

but seriously, how do you think it happened? a stray crane hook got caught on it and lifted the vehicle up or something like that?

ca18_sean

Adventurer
after all that how ironic! although maybe you can ask Cruiser79 if he'll sell you his... two 70's with granny hats posted in a row! although his looks more like a cool middle-age grandfather cap than a granny hat.

but seriously, how do you think it happened? a stray crane hook got caught on it and lifted the vehicle up or something like that?

It appears that the metal fatigued during shipping. It was on the top rack of the semi hauler with the nose pointing up, acting like a big sail. The metal actually ripped on one side, you can see it left the mount on the passenger side still attached to the rain gutter and just ripped across. It did rip the driver side mount out damaging the rain gutter, but nothing I can't fix. I'm still waiting on a replacement window... seems like it's one of those parts that's hard to find in the US.

damienperu

Observer
It appears that the metal fatigued during shipping. It was on the top rack of the semi hauler with the nose pointing up, acting like a big sail. The metal actually ripped on one side, you can see it left the mount on the passenger side still attached to the rain gutter and just ripped across. It did rip the driver side mount out damaging the rain gutter, but nothing I can't fix. I'm still waiting on a replacement window... seems like it's one of those parts that's hard to find in the US.
Really!? I find it very hard to believe a factory item designed to resist that exact effect of all the air coming up of the windscreen would suddenly turn into a sail with a change in vehicle angle, as the horizontal airflow you describe has little difference to the angle of air flowing up the windscreen. If they were that weak we would've heard of many cases of how they fly off and break windows while driving, especially in northern australia on the speedlimitless highways where they are common due to the tropical heat. Is there any evidence that proves is wasn't ripped off by an object?

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Really!? I find it very hard to believe a factory item designed to resist that exact effect of all the air coming up of the windscreen would suddenly turn into a sail with a change in vehicle angle, as the horizontal airflow you describe has little difference to the angle of air flowing up the windscreen. If they were that weak we would've heard of many cases of how they fly off and break windows while driving, especially in northern australia on the speedlimitless highways where they are common due to the tropical heat. Is there any evidence that proves is wasn't ripped off by an object?

I can take a picture when I get home, but it appears to be 100% intact except for the ripped metal. I'd think if it caught on something there would be other damage. I'm not sure this was an OEM piece. It was held on by fairly small self tapping screws. Oddly enough the screws remained in place in the roof gutter.

Another consideration is how many 2H troopy's go 80MPH for 2 days straight? Lol. Might have just been too much for the old girl.

Cruiser79

Observer
Funny name, a 'granny hat', never heard of it!
When I'm on the highway with my cruiser during storms I really get scared sometimes... It catch a lot of wind but it never flew away fortunately.... In Holland you can order them for about 200-250 euros. Maybe that will be best solution? And than you have the grandfather cap instead of the granny hat ;)

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Shipping company help with the repairs?

Negative :/ it's explicitly stated that aftermarket attachments (visors/spoilers/rain guards) aren't covered from damage during shipping. Much like when you go through an automatic car wash I guess. I honestly don't blame them. With all the shoddy aftermarket parts out there I would have similar language in my contract if I was running a shipping company. I don't blame anyone, just a case of bad luck.

Luckily a replacement window is only ~$150 and the dent will be fixed with all the other body work. If it was a pristine cruiser I would have fought it harder, but with a beat up old truck it's hard to get too upset! I'm just glad it's finally here and in good mechanical shape.

Here's a few pics of the broken granny hat.

63195f1f2dcdc81ec6455d6fdddf6b0f.jpg

c57d4cb74bd503f08c32b6a830591c82.jpg

c9700dae6a6bc29233948ee921a24adf.jpg

3cbbdd3c5013134cae5b7c821276a266.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior