'85 Longbed/Wildernest diesel CL find.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Some hipster with cash to burn will buy it for transporting his/ her fleet of fixed gear bikes....
ok kidding If i had nothing but money I would buy it for the cool factor. But damn thats a steep price.

You bring up a good point, but who cares who the buyer is. When I have something for sale (I usually ask top dollar because it's usually worth it) I try to sell to the person I see most fit to own, but ultimately the person with the most cash is going to go home with it. I just sold a '68 CJ5 which was very original and I did not want it to go to a rock crawler who would cut it up, but I really didn't have a say in the matter.

I agree with you. Sometimes we who call ourselves "enthusiasts" are not the right market when asking top dollar. Lifestyle marketing is one of the ways I tend to get top dollar, and there is a good chance that the truck will go to someone who may be referred to as a "poser". Then in turn, their purchase helps drive the market. Good for values when selling, but bad for us when we are buying.

It's a double edged sword.

Toyotero

Explorer
It's got the best of everything available that year... 1985 = solid front axle, super clean 28-32mpg diesel, pluse a wildernest. It should definitely sell for a premium price.

$16.5K is much more than I would pay for it, I think you could get a Tacoma w/wildernest for a comparable price or less and have more power, smoother ride, factor locker, etc,
but I don't fault the owner for putting it out there with that as an asking price, he or she has a rare vehicle.

austintaco

Explorer
Not to mention, the higher price scares off looky loos that have no intention on buying. It might scare off some potential buyers, but if someone is willing to come look at it for the listed price, they are not going to offer $8K. Still, I agree, it's a very unique vehicle. It might end up in some odd ball collector's barn and never be seen from again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94