Recommendations for a flexible arm tablet mount?

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm considering using an iPad1/2 as a map source in my Suburban and am shopping for mounting solutions. I'm already working on plans to modify the factory center console at the dash to contain both CB and 2m HAM radios, so a console or dash mount won't work. I'm looking at flex mounts like this one from Amaxon -
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3F09NU...UTF8&colid=QWZ1BSZYG6VW&coliid=I1O3RZ0RZNJ07C

- and I'm looking for recommendations or alternate suggestions for a sturdy useful mounting.

plh

Explorer
I use something similar on my 7" as your amazon link, only from RAM. It cost a bit more, but works quite well.

fcs-04

I just ordered the one you linked for my tab4 should be here Wednesday I'll let you know how it works.

rayra

Expedition Leader
My chief concern about the flex arm is how stable / wobbly they are. Spend a lot of time in the high desert and washboarded fire roads. The iPad 1 is a pound and a half. The 2 is a little lighter.

Might have to re-think the iPad 1/2 idea as well, might be bigger than I want. Have both in the house, getting a bit long in the tooth so easy to migrate them to the Suburban. But maybe a smaller tablet / Kindle Fire HD 7 might be more useful in many ways. And it's half the weight of an iPad1. Have to look into the nav / GPS aspects more. Also in hacking my defunct analog OnStar system, see if I can re-purpose its components.

mike the welder

Adventurer
I had one a bit different in my work truck and it did well on the highway, but when you start hitting off road type bumps it slowly started to move lower and lower and lower until it was sitting on the floor. I replaced it with an adjustable type that you move into position and use knobs to lock it in place.

fcs-04

My chief concern about the flex arm is how stable / wobbly they are. Spend a lot of time in the high desert and washboarded fire roads. The iPad 1 is a pound and a half. The 2 is a little lighter.

Might have to re-think the iPad 1/2 idea as well, might be bigger than I want. Have both in the house, getting a bit long in the tooth so easy to migrate them to the Suburban. But maybe a smaller tablet / Kindle Fire HD 7 might be more useful in many ways. And it's half the weight of an iPad1. Have to look into the nav / GPS aspects more. Also in hacking my defunct analog OnStar system, see if I can re-purpose its components.
The one you linked is a solid aluminum bar that isn't easily adjustable. Thats why I bought it, it is waiting for me at home so I'll let you know how it is tonight.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I have a ram X mount I use for my Galaxy tab 10.1 and it is great. I also really like the Kraken line of products thats out there- the integral case/mount is really nice. If I were to do it again I may go with the Kraken mount.

fcs-04

Well got the mount in and went for a 25 mile ride on a mixture of washboard roads and rutted trails.
I was concerned at first with how the tab connects to the mount, it uses plastic slide tabs and spring pressure but it seems to be enough and the tablet never moved. The bar is solid and small bends will need to be done over your knee or on a table with a vise. As with any single mounting point system there is wobble. I got use to it and with a 10.1" tablet its manageable, with a smaller tablet it might be annoying. Overall for 30 bucks I'm OK with it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418824224978.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418824224978.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418824251910.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418824251910.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 27
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418824385877.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418824385877.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 28

rayra

Expedition Leader
Thanks so much for the review and pis, fcs. 'OK' fits my budget! I was tearing down my center console yesterday investigating solutions for mounting a couple radios in a concealed fashion (when not in use). I'm going to wind up making a new chassis under the stock plastic skins. It's now got me thinking about an alternate mount or even an attached brace bracket for that armature. Since I'll be re-working the guts of the console.
I'm considering using the same mount but having it telescope out of the side of the console just enough to position the iPad where I want it, then locking the rest of the tube in place. Such that the unsupported part of the armature is a good bit shorter. That ought to take a good bit of movement out of it altogether.

console05_zps19948afc.jpg
console15_zps82303c6c.jpg

I also use an app called Star Walk to navigate the sky for my astronomy / telescope hobby, so I'll have the iPad along anyway, so the idea of a 'cockpit' mount really appeals to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior