My CUCV M1009 To be named later build

superbuickguy

Explorer
FYI, the rear disc swap is the same weather you are running 3/4 ton calipers or Caddy calipers. The calipers are the same size and interchangeable. That said, I would skip on the disk brake swap. I have them on my suburban, and am really leaning towards going back to drums.

the truck calipers have larger pads, are for a 12", not 10.5" rotor. The truck calipers are for a wider (thicker) rotor. And while I haven't marched down to my shop to measure the calipers, I'm pretty certain the bolt spacing is different as well.... but we could be talking different cadillac rotors (which are the same as 85-87 IROC Camaro, 88-91 are different)... the cadillac rotors and calipers are also the same as the 79 Firebird... again, completely different animal than the full size truck calipers that is the common swap....

underdrive

jackwagon
FYI, the rear disc swap is the same weather you are running 3/4 ton calipers or Caddy calipers. The calipers are the same size and interchangeable. That said, I would skip on the disk brake swap. I have them on my suburban, and am really leaning towards going back to drums.
I was referring mostly to the Eldo's parking brake mechanism, I despise any and all integrated parking brake calipers. Drum-in-hat is the way to go IMHO, simpler and generally more reliable as the two systems are separate. Not available with any aftermarket setup that we're aware of though, hence the driveline brake suggestion. What did you on your Sub for e-brake? Someone on YouTube outfitted his NP205 with a driveline brake from what he said was a "200" (NP200 would be my guess), he made it looks stupid-easy. Didn't mention said driveline brakes aren't all that easy to find any more though...

Last edited:

jackel44

Observer
I was referring mostly to the Eldo's parking brake mechanism, I despise any and all integrated parking brake calipers. Drum-in-hat is the way to go IMHO, simpler and generally more reliable as the two systems are separate. Not available with any aftermarket setup that we're aware of though, hence the driveline brake suggestion. What did you on your Sub for e-brake? Someone on YouTube outfitted his NP205 with a driveline brake from what he said was a "200" (NP200 would be my guess), he made it looks stupid-easy. Didn't mention said driveline brakes aren't all that easy to find any more though...

The stock proportioning valve will go and be replaced with a http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-11179/overview/ . The Master cylinder will be replaced with one from a 4 wheel disk.

The driveline e-brake is about $300 plus I have to buy the special flanges. I was looking at the Eldrado calipers because of at least their would be an e-brake. Later i was thinking of switching. I will do a mini write-up later when i get closer.

As far as the taking the top off, I like the air flow. Since I switched the tail gate switch, I have no rear window. I feel all cooped up with the top on. I have half of one half door finished. I was thinking on using them. I understand that that stuff is needed to protect you from the sound and elements, but I absolutely love running it with-out the doors and top.

My awning would consist of probably just a tarp tied to the rack with some poles nothing fancy.

I agree about needing the front bumper before the rear bumper and I would get them in that order.

jackel44

Observer
Skip pulling the engine out too, if she has good oil pressure run her. Loose bearings will show as low oil pressure. Changing the oil pump for the sake of changing it seems a waste of time and efforts.

I thought I would pull the motor when I was changing the tranny. Their would be next to nothing holding it in. At that point I can change seals check for crap in oil pan screen. I can also re-torque main caps. ( a week spot in the engine)

I rigged the stock e-brake cable to the eldorado bracketry. I have the stock NP241, so no driveline brake for me. If I ever get to the point where I change it over, I may look into it.

jackel44

Observer

I agree with everything your are saying. My problem is if I use an Eldorado caliper its about $20 extra each vs the $300 plus using the driveline brake. That $300 is a large down payment i can use for a winch, front bumper, or roof rack. I have not heard a strong argument from anyone for against putting the driveline brake close to the top of the list.

I agree with everything your are saying. My problem is if I use an Eldorado caliper its about $20 extra each vs the $300 plus using the driveline brake. That $300 is a large down payment i can use for a winch, front bumper, or roof rack. I have not heard a strong argument from anyone for against putting the driveline brake close to the top of the list.

The problem is going to be finding Eldorado calipers with all the parking brake brackets on them. And if you do find them, they are going to be expensive.

oh i thought i could just buy the calipers from auto store and attach the cable right up to them.

Unfortunately not with the Eldorado calipers. The parking brake brackets have to be found also, and you they are hard to find. The way the parking brake is designed, it has to be used every time you park, so it can stay adjusted properly.

Here is a picture of the calipers where you can see the parking brake adjustment brackets. I took this before we installed the axle. Hope that helps.

And a one after it was installed.

jackel44

Observer
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=889324&cc=1025941
71RWadcMSZL._SX522_.jpg

It looks like i can attach the cable right to this and dont need any brackets.
getimage.php

What are your thoughts?

jackel44

Observer
Unfortunately not with the Eldorado calipers. The parking brake brackets have to be found also, and you they are hard to find. The way the parking brake is designed, it has to be used every time you park, so it can stay adjusted properly.
thanks for the pics and info. i will have to order one and look at it.

jackel44

Observer
i priced the driveline brake and it is $375 plus i would need the flange at $109 plus i would need to make sure i'm 32 spline output.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior