Suspension upgrade for FWC Hawk and gear question for a vehicle noob

surlydiesel

Adventurer
duxndogs, I would think hard about lifting the truck. Getting the camper in will require more height, getting passengers in will be more difficult, getting in the camper will be more difficult and frankly, unless you get really stiff lift springs (please don't use an even bigger block), your truck will ride like crap unloaded. I'm pretty sure 35's will fit on your truck stock, or at least metric 34's. How deep are you getting on the trails with a fullsize crew cab anyway??? If you have overload springs on the truck (you have an F250, so you prob don't) but if you do, you can get extended stops for them. They will hit the stops sooner, helping you carry the weight better. I am a fan of Timbren bump stops, no need to add air, no worries of tearing a bag. Then again, most everyone I know has no problem with airbags so they are a good option too. Think long and hard before you tear into your already well performing truck and ask for possible issues from non-oem parts. Just my 2 cents.

-jorge

duxndogs

Observer
duxndogs, I would think hard about lifting the truck. Getting the camper in will require more height, getting passengers in will be more difficult, getting in the camper will be more difficult and frankly, unless you get really stiff lift springs (please don't use an even bigger block), your truck will ride like crap unloaded. I'm pretty sure 35's will fit on your truck stock, or at least metric 34's. How deep are you getting on the trails with a fullsize crew cab anyway??? If you have overload springs on the truck (you have an F250, so you prob don't) but if you do, you can get extended stops for them. They will hit the stops sooner, helping you carry the weight better. I am a fan of Timbren bump stops, no need to add air, no worries of tearing a bag. Then again, most everyone I know has no problem with airbags so they are a good option too. Think long and hard before you tear into your already well performing truck and ask for possible issues from non-oem parts. Just my 2 cents.

-jorge

Jorge -

You're probably right...I've been debating a 4 lift or just a 2.5 leveling kit for a while now. I like the Carli and Icon kits but they're designed for diesels. May work but ride would be stiff? To be honest...I like the 4 in lifted look better than the level look...but know it's comes with some consequences. And No, aside from some boondocking the truck typically doesn't go in too deep. Most of my offroading is done on two wheels! :victory:

I'll start a new thread to get opinions. Thanks for the insight!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So does just adding airbags fix all of those problems or are there other things I should do?
Would the Firestone Ride Rites with an additional saddle/cradle be sufficient?
I am also looking at E rated tires too. Any recommendations for that or should I start another thread?

Adding airbags will definetly help handle the load, but they WON'T help component wear, under powered brakes or legality. I just put Airlift bags in my new 3500 but only to keep it level. I'm still under my GVWR with my 3000 lb camper on, but the rear end squatted 5" and would have aimed my already sub-standard headlights at the tree tops. If you are going to put anything more than feathers in your Hawk, you really should consider trading your truck for a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Adding airbags will definetly help handle the load, but they WON'T help component wear, under powered brakes or legality. I just put Airlift bags in my new 3500 but only to keep it level. I'm still under my GVWR with my 3000 lb camper on, but the rear end squatted 5" and would have aimed my already sub-standard headlights at the tree tops. If you are going to put anything more than feathers in your Hawk, you really should consider trading your truck for a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Basically I'm looking to get a nearly fully loaded Hawk down feathers and all. Trading in my truck isn't really an option at this point. Maybe I should mount the hawk in a trailer, maybe call it a nest...I am the Eggman coo coo ca choo!
Seriously, what if I added an extra spring? Or is it the axels that's what is gonna make it or break it, and leave me scrambled somewhere?

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Basically I'm looking to get a nearly fully loaded Hawk down feathers and all. Trading in my truck isn't really an option at this point. Maybe I should mount the hawk in a trailer, maybe call it a nest...I am the Eggman coo coo ca choo!
Seriously, what if I added an extra spring? Or is it the axels that's what is gonna make it or break it, and leave me scrambled somewhere?
My preference would be helper springs over bags mainly because I feel air bags add a failure point. However helper springs tend to make the ride stiffer with the camper off and some people don't like that. Air bags won't effect the ride with the camper unloaded. Another thing is tires. If the ride is still mushy after helper springs or air bags the D or E rated tires will help a lot.

You can make the truck support the weight. You need to be aware what else additional you're loading and decide how close to or how much over GVWR you're willing to accept. Someone mentioned earlier one of the problems running heavy all the time is component wear. There are a lot of 1/2 tons successfully running around with FWC campers off road. I'm pretty sure I'll run into a few in Saline Valley next week.

Load it and see how it sits. Drive the truck to see how it feels. From there decide what you want to do to the suspension.

I do also have a tow package, and I realize that's mainly for towing weight, but I wonder if it helps in hauling more weight. More so than a stock 1/2 ton without the towing package?
Thank you to everyone for all of your advice.....

escadventure

Adventurer
It can be done

100Acre - I have a 2000 F150 XL. With extended cab, autotrans it is rated at 1700lbs. I have seen several sources of info where payload, GAWR and GVWR don't quite match up, but 100 lbs or so, one way or the other won't matter IF you plan your build smartly and safely. I don't need to weigh it to know I'm close to the weight limit of the truck. If I'm not, it's safer to treat it as such. But to be sure, unlike an aircraft, our F150's will not fall out of the sky and crash if the weight and CG isn't calculated within a finite window of safety. Nor will factory legal disclaimers guarantee impending doom, assuming you make modifications to your truck safely and responsibly.

You can make some reasonable mods to get your truck to do what you want it to safely. I'm 100% sure, my truck for example, is absolutely in no way endangering any of my fellow motorists. Because of the way our wonderfully litigous society works, aftermarket parts disclaimers put us in a position to be accountable for the stupidity of others. So there is, most lilely as metioned, a legal risk of driving a truck like this.

Your truck's rear suspension will sag before you get anywhere near the load limit. I added 500lb helper springs and they work great. There is no leaning or swaying whatsoever. Although when I get back stateside I might change to a Deaver set to handle offroad abuse better. Therer is someone here on EXPO that installed a set of leafs from JC Whitney on his F150 and is working well. The front is sitting on the Timbrens but the truck still rides good. I don't drive over 60-65 mph. Brakes and drivetrain work perfectly.
I have changed to 32" GY Duratrac E rated tires and will regear to 4.10's next month. This should slightly help my mpg's and eliminate some downshifting on the highway.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94