Cali guys. Dropped Truck off at MagnaFlow for Converters.

blackohio

Observer
MagnaFlow has direct-fits for 49 state but no cali. They werent sure why so I dropped my truck off this evening. It'll be good news for anyone with a 0421 code and a lazy pre-cat (like me at the moment)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Ha ha, good luck finding them at a good price, I have to run a CARB compliant cat on my Chevy diesel and it's about $200 more than the non-carb version. I know it's not a Montero but the aftermarket CARB cats in general are very pricey.

blackohio

Observer
The alternative being? Cats die. When they do, they need to be replaced if you plan on keeping a truck road legal. Pricey for a carb obd2 cat. Yes, but a fraction of the OEM one with little to little downsides. Theres a reason it costs more and it's not just going through CARB or ARB compliance, which is VERY expensive. The bricks contain varying amounts of precious metals required.

An aftermarket direct-fit obdii california compliant cat at a very reduced price to OEM or remanufactured OEM. sign me up.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The alternative being? Cats die. When they do, they need to be replaced if you plan on keeping a truck road legal. Pricey for a carb obd2 cat. Yes, but a fraction of the OEM one with little to little downsides. Theres a reason it costs more and it's not just going through CARB or ARB compliance, which is VERY expensive. The bricks contain varying amounts of precious metals required.

An aftermarket direct-fit obdii california compliant cat at a very reduced price to OEM or remanufactured OEM. sign me up.

Yes, the majority of OEM use platinum in the substrate, I am very familiar with their construction.

Igorskiy86

Observer
I had my cats replaced with a magnaflow 50 state compliant ones, and I want to say that I wish I went with a factory replacement. I paid 500 for them with the work installed, but really wish that I just spent 700 on the original replacement, because it fits much nicer and I would not have to worry about having a small exhaust leak that I am trying to track down.

blackohio

Observer
Yes, the majority of OEM use platinum in the substrate, I am very familiar with their construction.
Again, Im not sure what your point is. Are you implying one uses it and the other doesnt? Im not sure what your getting at. Also as a point of reference I was on the marketing/art side of MagnaFlow and Car Sound for a decade.

Igorskiy86, there is no 50-state direct fit cat from MagnaFlow. Did you either have the 49-state direct fit installed or have a shop weld in 50-state cats for the correct PC-2 configuration? If it was the latter I can't see the blame being anyone but the shop that did the install. Not defending MagnaFlow per say but just trying to figure how you are in LA and ran 50-state converters.

jlocster

Explorer
Blackohio, I'm not understanding your original post. Are you saying you took your truck in to Magnaflow so they can prototype/develop a California legal converter? I hope that's what you're saying...that would be great!

blackohio

Observer
that is exactly what I was saying. They had 49 state direct-fits but not 50-state so they wanted a truck to look at, proto off. Dropped it off Sunday night.

jlocster

Explorer
Fantastic! I'm really glad you have that Magnaflow connection. Any idea how long it generally takes for a converter to be approved by the state a ready for the buying public..are we months away...a year away?

blackohio

Observer
Im not sure. It's been since '09 since I worked there. But depending on demand I think schedules can be adjusted to push higher demand stuff through. But, honestly I cannot recall the time table what-so-ever. I dont need smog again until Dec. 16 so I hope well before then.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Not sure if this will help anyone in Ca. to save money, but I know my cat is on its last leg as each smog inspection I eek by less and less, last one I just barely passed and I recently got a "check engine", wouldn't be surprised if the cat and/or some O2 sensors are dead.

Here are three Ca. compliant cats from $169.00 to $239.00 that fit Gen2 Monteros: https://www.catalyticconvertersonli...make=MITSUBISHI&model=MONTERO&california=True

Some of the better prices I have seen around for sure.

GFO

Observer
Some of the better prices I have seen around for sure.

Haven't spent a lot of time under my Montero, but the middle Cat (universal with straight pipes) seems to be like the best fit of the three?

media.ashx

https://www.catalyticconvertersonli...make=MITSUBISHI&model=MONTERO&california=True

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior