01 Montero Sport 4wd. Body & suspension lift info needed.

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Ok I got a digital manual and I see there is rubber there in stock form. Is it advised to replace or keep the originals? Odometer officially says 239,000. Do I use them with the 2inch body spacers? Just trying to be prepared to knock this guy out all at once.

I was playing with the idea of the Sequoia 2inch coil spacers, part # Rancho RS70081, in the rear. But no one knows if these will work on our springs. I hate to throw money on something that probably is the wrong size. So I have few other ideas I was toying with. I think I might go this route.... to start with.
the 2inch version: (might stay in place better due to thickness. with the fact that I'm sagging already due to age it might give 1.5 or so.) at least it can be cut/trimmed to ensure fitment
http://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...mance/suspension/coil_spring_boosters_spacers

the one inch version: (don't think this would make a noticible differene and ther is more chance of them falling out cause of the thinness.)
http://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...mance/suspension/coil_spring_boosters_spacers

I know there are mixed opinions on these, but if I zip tie them in and run them all the way to the top of the spring (still in the coils) I think they will stay stationary. I'm sure with 239,000 miles I'm sitting on sagging springs anyway. Then I will get some measurements when I fit them in to see what size spacer I need to ultimately locate a top spring seat style. I just can't tell with things together what size spring and what room is in the upper perch to even fit a spacer. There are a few options, if I can dial in a size and check cross compatibility. Then when the $ frees up I will do and proper 2 in suspension lift with OME springs and HD shocks. Seems this uncharted territory for a sport, so I want to at least give it a shot to see if it can work. Don't know till you try. Again this is presently not a trail rig. I'm not advocating this style of lift for a truck that could articulate so much that the spacer could come unseated when the spring gets unsprung. But it would be nice to offer folks some ideas of routes they can go.

mapper

Explorer
I will check with my guy on this size. thx

No he does not have this, but can get 285/75 r16s new for $168. Mickey thompson. Its an all weather tire. Got him through the nasty snow/ice mess we had in GA last year.

He did specifically mention "skinny" and often times that is the way you have to go to get a taller diameter tire to fit without lifting or minimizing interference. A 285 is 30mm wider than a 255. I'd be surprised if you can fit a 285/75, basically 33x11.5 without trimming. Then again. I don't know for sure.

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Ok I got a digital manual and I see there is rubber there in stock form. Is it advised to replace or keep the originals? Odometer officially says 239,000. Do I use them with the 2inch body spacers? Just trying to be prepared to knock this guy out all at once.

Thinking I could round up parts quick to work on the rig while I was on xmas & new years vacation. (that is if the shop can get the guy back to me at all) UGH! I was looking on Summit. They are local here in GA. I live 15 minutes away. Here are some of the spacers I have found. If these won't work I will go with 4crawler.

individuals:

2inch diameter & 2 inch lift
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pra-mb02

3inch diameter & 2 inch lift
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pra-bb02

Kits
2 inch lift toyota 4 runner 86-89 (10 mounts)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pra-5082

or if the above is not right, here are the others from summit....
the summit results on Toyota 2in body lift
http://www.summitracing.com/search?...Order=Ascending&keyword=body lift toyota 2 in

Anyone know which toyota kit is best? Nothing lists what the block diameters are? Will 3in wide blocks be too wide diameter wise? I know 4 crawler has the ultimate 2.5 inch wide. Should I get a Toyota kit or go with individual blocks and get my own hardware. Was not sure since the cost was so close that getting the kit might give me "some" useable hardware. Looks like if I go with the blocks alone (2x2) it will be 79 plus tax, where as the kit gives at least 10 blocks and hardware for 99 plus tax. Is the price worth the extras?

Ok I wanted to update everyone.
2 inch body lift is COMPLETE! :D

I opted to purchase my lift blocks from Summit. A. Summit is local and B.I do not have a drill press to accurately make my own. I was looking at the toyota kit I listed above... Well it was on back order till 1/19/15. So no go there. I wanted to do the lift over the Holiday. So instead I went with the individual body blocks, as they were in stock. For a total of 10 mounts on the 2001 Montero Sport:
6 of the 3inch diameter to go under the cab (A, B & C-Pillers) BB02 (2 H x3 OD) @ $9.97
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pra-bb02
4 of the 2 inch diameter for the nose and tail mounts. Part numbers MB02 (2 H x2 OD) @ $7.97
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pra-mb02

I then searched online and found a cheaper price. Summit will price match BTW.
Truckprousa.com had them for $4.99 (bb02)
http://truckprousa.com/i-6726582-performance-accessories-replacement-body-lift-spacer-bb02.html
and $3.99 (mb02)
http://truckprousa.com/i-6726548-performance-accessories-replacement-body-lift-spacer-mb02.html
= $45.90 plus $14.70 SH to my door.
Total $60.60

So Summit did the price match (factored in the shipping as if I ordered from Truckpro). The final price was $59.00 plus local taxes.
So my initial cost of 91.70 plus tax went down to $59.00 plus tax... NOT bad. :) and they were in stock!

So I took it slow and easy. 2 days later and had them installed.
(cleaning under and interior, plus 5 hours of hardware locating.... lots of theiving has happened of grade 8 bolts at the local stores. I had to go to 4 stores before I had enough.)

Now I can run the 285/75 r16s :D If all goes according to plan I will get them tonight and have them installed tomorrow! :) Then I will know for sure if any trimming is needed. Worst case I might see if the mechanic doing the tires can do a little cranking on the Torsion bars to level the nose and tail. That might give a touch more clearance up front. :)

I took tons of pics and plan to do a write up in the near future to help those with all the questions I had when I started this process. Again its alot for someone who has zero experience with 4x4's or trucks period. I have lowered 3 cars, including a custom conversion to coil-overs, but have never raised anything. :/

Oh and FYI... I did not have to alter anything front or rear bumper wise. They lifted fine with the body.

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Sweet man lets see some before and after pics when you get them tires on there!

Tires coming soon.... had an issue with the guy selling them to me. Had to go another route.

In the mean time.... before the body lift...

20141206_153656.jpg

20141206_153815.jpg

here is the rig with the 2 inch body lift.

tmp_20543-20150124_180041734089502.jpg

tmp_10283-20150110_1557491484742756.jpg

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Thank you!

I'm supposed to be getting a quote today on some Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's. Hoping they are in my price range. Figure these will be a good tire for us. Still gives that aggressive look and can back that look up if we need it. However, it will maintain good road manners, which it primarily where it will be used. :)

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Ok just thought I would post again since we got the new tires on....

before the body lift...

June_008.jpg

June_012.jpg

here is the rig with the 2 inch body lift.

tmp_20543-20150124_180041734089502.jpg

tmp_10283-20150110_1557491484742756.jpg

And here we are with the new tires. Better pics to come soon!

The shop felt bad that they are still tinkering with the trans and I can't see my new tires on the rig, so the girl at the front desk sent these:

IMG950709.jpg

IMG950711.jpg

clmrt

Adventurer
Make sure you get your wheel caps...

And do you need longer brake lines at full extension? Did the 4wd shift lever location give you any issues? I'm thinking of things attached to the chassis, not the body, that may need relocation.

I have the exact same truck, same miles. Love it.

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Make sure you get your wheel caps...

And do you need longer brake lines at full extension? Did the 4wd shift lever location give you any issues? I'm thinking of things attached to the chassis, not the body, that may need relocation.

I have the exact same truck, same miles. Love it.

Thank you

Lol. Yeah I was like where are the center caps??? lol...

No issues with the brake lines in the rear. The front brakes lines ideally probably should get a hose to extend them... I just massaged the brackets on the frame that held them in place. I assumed they were like gm brake line holders... You remove the clip and the brake line comes out of the bracket. But not the case. Not sure what you do when you have to replace them. I'm sure there I a trick I'm missing. But I maneuvered them enough to have enough length for hwy driving. I disconected what brackets I could on lines on the suspension. I had to leave one of them loose. I dont plan on doing any offroading where articulation will come into effect. Eventually I will upgrade to stainless lines if they are available for sports.

There was a coiled hard line on the drivers side that I had to remove the bracket on to let it shift with the lift.

I have not noticed any ill effects to the 4wd shift lever, however, I have not had enough time with it to even try it out. .. lol. It keeps having to go back to the shop for all these codes and transmission leaks.

I did have to remove the lower portion of the radiator fan shroud. Front and rear bumpers clear fine. I left them attached to the truck as I lifted it. Shop says the bumper and flaps looks like they will clear the new tires fine. The drivers side of the front bumper has to be tweaked. Previous owner had smashed it and bent the inner bracket. My mechanic says he will tweak it with his body jack and see if it will then sit ok. With articulation that might all change.

I plan to do a write up with pics as soon as I have the truck long enough to sort out the correct gas filler neck replacement. The factory one was too short.

All in all, I looked at everything that seemed to go from body to frame with brackets & undid all the brackets. Just in case mostly. Then once it was lifted I returned what brackets I could to their factory spots, as long as there was not tension

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
I got to take the fellow home tonight. I could not resist taking a few pics in the bright lights at the gas station. Anything was better then the pics that were sent to me! :)

So I will share a few.

tmp_18768-20150204_201604-1830909208.jpg

tmp_18768-20150204_201057-606698933.jpg

tmp_18768-20150204_2015531859829361.jpg

tmp_18768-20150204_201227223552145.jpg

mitsuman

Looking great, the tire size you chose looks perfect. These trucks should've came like this from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior