01 Montero Sport 4wd. Body & suspension lift info needed.

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Ok so I've not stopped reading the forums for days now. Lol. I have been in the recommended forum. Monterosportonline.net reading and reading.... I have asked some questions but want to ask here as well. Thx!

Still trying to understand the technicality of lifts... We have always lowered cars lol. Firebirds, mustangs, & Fieros.

I am trying to fit 285/75 r16 on this rig. I have a line on some used. I can't source the 265/75 used. Sux being on a tight budget. So I'm looking first at a body lift to fit them. Since its the lower cost of the 2. This will be a highway pavement truck for now.
Is this enough to get the 285s?

Am I understanding correctly that when lifting on the MS....

2 inches is max to not have to extend lines? Is this 2 inch body lift, suspension lift or either? So if I do both 2 in body & 2 in susp, I would have to lengthen things? What would need lengthening? Brake lines? How bad is this? I read it was mentioned just uncoiling some of the hard line?

BASIC minimum on suspension lift would consist of cranking the torsion bars up front. Then in the rear, because of my year 01 and being a sport, that I would have to purchase replacement "stronger" springs and longer shocks? OME is the source for these...

I have also read that the sports are sprung so they sit higher in the rear. So conceivably I can crank the front to even it with the rear? And that will give me a little bit? Any diy on messing with the torsion bars w/ pictures perhaps?

Ok the body lift. 2 inch max before you have to extend lines. You have to buy a body block kit for another vehicle with 2 inch diameter and 2 inch height? What other vehicle is best to make a kit with? Summit is down the street. How many blocks? 4 door 2001 ms 4wd. Or I have read www.4crawler.com has a basic kit he makes up for us?

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/MonteroBodyLift.shtml#TypicalKit

Are they legit and still in business? Finding info in such old threads makes me nervous.

To do the install? You loosen bolt connecting body to frame? Then replace factory blocks with longer ones or are there none there? You take you stock bolts to the hardware store to swap for grade 8 bolts that are 2 inches longer? Is that the basics? So many pictures are dead in threads.

Any links to a diy? It would be nice to know where are the bolts located and how many contact points.

I just need some guidance as I'm a visual learner. Heck I will even put a diy together myself.... lol!

One I did for the fiero....
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/118751.html#lastpost

montypower

Adventure Time!
2" body lift is a ton! Especially if you are running 33s. Maybe if you want to fit 35s. 255/85r16 will fit without body lift (tall 33). I'd only do the body lift if you want to run larger than 33.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
2" body lift is a ton! Especially if you are running 33s. Maybe if you want to fit 35s. 255/85r16 will fit without body lift (tall 33). I'd only do the body lift if you want to run larger than 33.

This is for a Sport so more lift is needed, remember a Montero Sport is not a Montero in any aspect. Montero Sports are based on the L200/Triton and share everything with that truck. This forum should go by chassis numbers instead of models and generation range because there is such a wider range of Mitsu trucks here.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
4Crawler is still in business, he's slow but he makes a nice product and it will fit your rig. There are some bodylift write-ups on 4x4wire.com

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Found some good info over on 4x4wire... hoping some of the stuff for the full size version translates over.

redraif

The uphill battle begins
To help others who might happen upon my thread. Here is some good info related to alot of what I had questions about from 4x4wire.com

www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/tech/minutemods/torsion_bar/

www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/tech/valley_springs/

www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/reviews/ome/

On 4x4 wire a Montero guy said that he used 2" coil spring spacers from a Sequoia, part # Rancho RS70081, to get two more inches of lift in the rear. He reports he trimmed a little in the middle so it sits better on the top to the body. He did have to go longer on the shocks with the spacer in. Used shocks from a Bronco 83-96.
These are for teh full size older Monteros... not sure if there is something for us (sports)

www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1253736&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1239851&an=&page=&vc=1
www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1179859&page=0&fpart=2&vc=1
www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/28207-1998-(Gen-II)-Montero-Suspension-Lift-Kit

Now to figure out if this coil insert will work on a sport... Are the sport springs and full size springs the same ID and OD?
No one there who has posted knows.

I asked here and got info on a DIY body lift:
www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1290791&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Here is some info on 4crawler' body lift from there: (Full size Montero) They reference gen1, gen2 and a build thread of a gen2.5. Not sure if any of this will relate back to a sport, but I aim to find out!

www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1288160&an=&page=&vc=1

they reference this thread which had some great pictures from a body lift install. Enough to help me understand. (post #10)
www.expeditionportal.com/forum/thre...light=Eurosonic's+Montero+2.5Gen+Build+Thread

Here is another thread with an older full size with pics. I was told in this thread that we (sports) are based on the Mitsu truck frame not sold in North America.
www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1141520&page=0&fpart=4&vc=1

Ok thats the highlights of my finds from 4x4wire. At least it cleared my understanding of things. Now to circle around and find out if any can work with the sports.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Don't spend money on a lift if you can't buy anything but used tires......you can get cooper 265/75's for 136 apiece.

montypower

Adventure Time!
This is for a Sport so more lift is needed, remember a Montero Sport is not a Montero in any aspect. Montero Sports are based on the L200/Triton and share everything with that truck. This forum should go by chassis numbers instead of models and generation range because there is such a wider range of Mitsu trucks here.

I've owned a Sport. Very familiar with them. They will fit skinny 255/85 without body lift. Minor trimming.

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Thanks pirate. good to know they can be had for that cheap. What I was seeing was hitting the 200.00 ea mark. Though I was trying to get the Dynapro MT. Now the RT10s I found cheaper. Its not that I can't buy anything but used... We are just spending so much $ at the wrong time of year to get the rig at 100%, thanks to my daughters trip in the mud. And since I plan to lift the truck anyway.... I just know if I get new tires that fit in stock form the wife will not go for the lift after cause it will be a waste of new tires... LOL! :D The used ones I was concidering are from a friend with a warehouse. He has his fingers in a few areas across the car spectrum. If I'm lucky he can get tires at 80% life for $25 ea and the shop with throw them on for $12 ea. Thats the route we went on the civic. And that was 2 years ago. We are still rolling along on a daily driver on that same set. It goes 50 miles round trip M-F. The montero wil not see that kind of mileage. We could be rolling on new tires for many years.... hint hint, wink wink!

So I got a brief minute to look up under the Monty last week after I picked it up from the shop. The front most body mount... I noticed it had some rubber already in there btw the body and frame mount. About an inch. It was raining, so this was the only one I had a chance to look at. Then in the AM when I went to look some more, I noticed a nice 9in circle of tranny fluid on the ground. So straight back to the shop. So that was as far as my research got. :(

Does the sport come with rubber in the mounts stock or has the previous owner done some lifting already?

Here is how it sits...

20141206_153656.jpg

20141206_153815.jpg

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
So i was looking on Summit. Thinking I could round up parts quick to work on the rig while I was on xmas & new years vacation. They are local here in GA. I live 15 minutes away. Here are some of the spacers I have found. If these won't work I will go with 4crawler.

individuals:

2inch diameter & 2 inch lift
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pra-mb02

3inch diameter & 2 inch lift
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pra-bb02

Kits
2 inch lift toyota 4 runner 86-89 (10 mounts)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pra-5082

or if the above is not right, here are the others from summit....
the summit results on Toyota 2in body lift
http://www.summitracing.com/search?...Order=Ascending&keyword=body lift toyota 2 in

Anyone know which toyota kit is best?

Would any or these work?
This is all I have found in searching:
http://msport97.proboards.com/thread/5199/1-2-inch-body-lift

Or make my own with this?
uhmw
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=30474&catid=868

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=30475&catid=868

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
I've owned a Sport. Very familiar with them. They will fit skinny 255/85 without body lift. Minor trimming.

I will check with my guy on this size. thx

No he does not have this, but can get 285/75 r16s new for $168. Mickey thompson. Its an all weather tire. Got him through the nasty snow/ice mess we had in GA last year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles