12V chainsaw

robert

Expedition Leader
I'll second the get a gas chainsaw and mount it on the back posts. They make mounts for ATVs that can be easily mounted on spare tire carriers.

Howard70

Adventurer
Some good advice on this thread. I think the need for a powered saw depends on how much you anticipate cutting in a short period of time. If you foresee situations where you're going to cut a lot of stuff and you are in a hurry, then a powered saw is probably what would work best. Once you're certain you need a powered saw, the main options seem to be:

1. Gasoline. Common, tried and true, and for the cutting efficiency probably the cheapest. Biggest cons seem to noise, smell, explosive fuel, and they may not sit for long periods of neglect unless you put them to bed well. If you envision rare episodes of heavy cutting and you don't like the other cons (they are personal preference sorts of things) then you could consider:

2. 110v corded saw. Won't cut like a powerful gasoline saw, but will cut pretty large stuff well, as long as you get a good saw, high amperage cord, inverter large enough to power it, and you can tolerate the damn cord. It can remain unused for years and work as well as the day you put it down (just don't leave it in the rain). If you're clearing a track with a lot of cutting as you move along with your vehicle the cord seems to show an inordinate affection for the space between your front tires and the ground. Oh, and it might not be a good idea to stand in a puddle while cutting merrily away....

3. High quality lithium battery saw. I did a lot of research into these when I was convinced that I needed one. If you want a chain saw because you're going to cut a lot of larger stuff, the expense of a good saw, multiple batteries, a fast charger, etc. adds up quickly. I gave up the dream when I realized the setup I though I'd need would run close to $800 or more.

Indecision left us without a powered saw. On the other hand we've done fine without it via a combination of axes, pruning style saws, bow saws, a winch, driving over/around, and turning back (shame). But, we haven't cleared a road through a forest in the early spring, or a long overgrown track in Australia by hand. Those are the accounts I've read where a powered saw seemed to make the difference between getting through and turning back. At any rate, getting back to the original question - I don't think there is an adequate 12v corded saw available. The most similar animal would be the battery powered saw, multiple batteries, and a fast charger.

Howard

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Are any of the rechargeable saws available with a 12V-powered charger (for installation in a vehicle?)

I have always been a traditional chain saw guy but always hate the attention it draws when fired up in the woods. The practically silent electric saw would be a huge draw for me. Very interesting.

conifers4

Suburban nomad
I use a bow saw I picked up from Harbor Freight (stop laughing). Although it's not a long term saw it has done right by me. Darn thing really digs in and cuts, a folding saw from Friskars or Felco would do the trick too. Yes its a lot more physical work but it kept me warm during my last 12*F trip.

A lot of excellent advice here to consider - thank you! The Silky Katanaboy has peaked my interest...

I do have bow saws, pruning saws, axes, and real chain saws that I use when appropriate. I was thing of something high quality that works really well, that I can just leave in the rig and ignore until needed. Short of a full-on misery whip like my grandfather used, the Silky might just be it.

Thanks again everybody!

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Miguel-

I have been using a 40 volt Ryobi chainsaw for all the reasons you list. With all the wind storms we have recently experienced here in Portland it has had a workout and has performed well. It has a 14" bar and if there is a tree bigger than it can cut (figure 14x2) its time to turn around and find a different road.

OH9JK

Observer
Minibrute 12v chainsaw. They were short lived but you can still find them from time to time on craigslist and eBay.

d8b4b542e602f8de24079cc2f011589e.jpg

GregSplett

Adventurer
Being a Carpenter I have seen three sawsall's break running pruning blades.Two red ones and one yellow ,all corded.

This intrigues me a bit.I can not imagine going out into the woods with my saws-all as my saw.I know for a fact you can get a lot more work done with a good folding saw.The battery operated saws operate on a fast short stroke,not exactly a good combo.I guess playing in the rain forest is a bit differant than the drier climates.

I guess some people are a little intimidated by chainsaws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94