1996 E350 4x4 Ambulance 7.3 Diesel Baja RV Build

fastring

Day1Ebay.jpg
Back in March 2014 I purchased this 1996 E350 Ambulance with the 7.3 Diesel and a Quigley 4x4 setup on Ebay for $5k. My girlfriend of two months and her 6 year old daughter got tickets to fly out and retrieve it over a weekend. From San Diego (Home) to middle of nowhere Michigan (outside of Saginaw), we did a red eye out of LAX to Chicago where snow cancelled our flight to somewhere close to the place selling the van. So, rental car and a 300ish mile drive to the van to get it before they closed for the weekend. Wouldnt start, so had to put battery on charger while sales person had to go to the DMV for something to do with the sales transaction (weird and big time delay). Eventually, we were on the road on the way back to return the rental car at a nearby airport. At the airport, the steering that had been fighting me for the past hour finally got through to my senses...burning brakes. The driver side from caliper was seizing up. Snow was starting to fall with the darkness. Quick drive to autoparts store and long evening of buying tools (didnt fly with any) and learning "what brake would quigley use for this conversion" and we were off by 10pm. Girlfriend and her little one want to hotel, my plan was sleep in the van as we had lots of miles and potential break downs to go before San Diego but it sounded really good after working on the brakes.

Fresh start and a non-eventful remaining drive back to San Diego other than snow on 4 bald tires with no spare.

fastring

photo 3 (1).JPG
photo 2 (5).JPG
photo 1 (5).JPG
Fast forward, two moves and too many projects later thinking of selling the van. Hadnt even changed the oil in it, just has been sitting. While trying to decide what to take on the upcoming Baja Christmas trip (10 days, remote camping), decided the van is the best for this trip and while there is overlap with other 4x4s in the fleet and I am trying to downsize, this van isnt going to get cut. Off to fixing.

Lots of maintenance, fluids, etc. Looks like the van was maintained ok but there is rust given its history. Really hate suspension work as it takes me several iterations to get it right and make me happy. Decided on 37s from H1, ordered on ebay 5 with runflat beadlock rims and start trimming. Learned that H1 rims have wild offset and they wont fit. Bummer, after lots of reading of other ambulance builds, learn that these are way heavier than I imagined and with a single rear, I need big weight capacity. Fortunately, there are lots of new load range E (3900ish pounds) 315/75/16 tires out there now. Always been a BFG AT guy for the 3 wall plywall but those dont come out in the new E range until March 2015, so I went with the Goodyears. Got them mounted on whatever discount tire had for alloy rim (22 pounds) with F350 offset and really happy with them.

No pics, but for suspension went with Bilsteins that proved to be the wrong length, so cut the lower shock mount and welded 5/8 bolt a little lower and some airbag coil spring inserts up front. Want minimal lift, max weight/handling capacity and then travel. Cant have it all, not much flex in the current setup but the height is close and clears the 35s perfect, will get springs (F/R) made once the build is closer to done for weight.

Replaced stock rear facing seat with center F150 seat to get something narrower and 3rd point seatbelt. Did a quick rack for carrying boats/surfboards and ARB awning, will add two more rows and fully box it later.

Abitibi

Explorer
Interesting story (after years of marriage my wife still wouldn't fly with me to pick up a truck... And you managed it after only two months!)

Looks good with those wheels/tire combo. I like the smaller width boxes, at least the rear tires aren't too tucked in that way.

Enjoy the trip, great truck for Baja!

Cheers
Mr. D

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Scorpion Bay after a night or two at Gonzaga Bay. Love Christmas in baja.

We have been talking about driving up to San Juanico over Christmas and maybe over to Loreto. If we do, where would we find you camped? We usually camp north of third where the dunes start to go down to the beach.

fastring

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420177571.008516.jpgVan did great, no pics on this ipad to share other than snow when we returned home to San Diego. Love the tire size, enough float in sand, at 45 psi (E range tire) it didnt bog in beach sand and gearing (4.10 with 7.3 powerstroke) was perfect. Need lower awning and a long list of nice to have improvements but basic ambulance storage and indoor camping capability was loved by all during the trip as was the range from the large tank.

drobb

Adventurer
View attachment 263573Van did great, no pics on this ipad to share other than snow when we returned home to San Diego. Love the tire size, enough float in sand, at 45 psi (E range tire) it didnt bog in beach sand and gearing (4.10 with 7.3 powerstroke) was perfect. Need lower awning and a long list of nice to have improvements but basic ambulance storage and indoor camping capability was loved by all during the trip as was the range from the large tank.

Cool pic....I live in SD also, 5 miles from the beach.....looked east the other morning.....snow in the hills!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior