Snow wheeling with tire chains?

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Ive never owner snow chains and would like to try them out.

Any suggestions on brands or kinds of chains? are they even necessary? More trouble than they worth?

Plan is to do some deep snow wheeling in the mountains.

thanks guys

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
I just ordered a set of RUD Grips from Chainstop.com. I have never wheeled with chains, but I purchased a set for my upcoming Death Valley trip just to be on the safe side.

As for wheeling in the snow, I've romped around in deep snow without chains and I never experienced any issues. However, this was just on normal roads in Tahoe right after a storm. Just know your limits.

http://chainstop.com/truck-tire-chains/grip

- Great communication (Leave a voicemail if Alvin doesn't pick up)
- Great looking chain and easy to install based on the video (I should be getting my set this week)

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
I have a couple sets of Lucede (IIRC) chains that are the same design as the RUDD ones shown. Thats the key, make sure you have chains that run both parallel and perpendicular to the tire. That will give you sidehill grip.

They will dig like crazy if you're not careful. Its like a heavy lugged tractor tire.
I find them to be more useful on really packed snow or icy conditions. But they stay in my truck year round (work in mud too!)

Tips:
Bring extra rubber bungees, pinch the S hook down on the side that goes to the bungee, you can use them to tension the chain much better than anything else I have found. Use 2-3 per tire, makes it much nicer to be able to do 20 ish MPH instead of 5.
Put them on at home once. Check Clearance of brake lines, abs wires ETC.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I've run RUD 4x4 Grip now for years and they work great.
You can install them without moving your vehicle.
They are durable, repairable, and affordable.

Driving with all wheels chained up can be really nice if you like to drink coffee and drive up steep hills in the snow at the same time.

Expedition Leader
I've run RUD 4x4 Grip now for years and they work great.
You can install them without moving your vehicle.
They are durable, repairable, and affordable.

Me too; they work really well and make snow wheeling a blast.

On modern trucks with coil springs, make sure there is enough room for them to fit between the front tires and the upper control arms.

Xbcasey

Adventurer
One tip to make any set of chains easy to put on without moving the vehicle is to carry a small 4"x4" wooden block. Lay the chain on the ground, set the block in one of the openings of the chain and drive your tire on top of it. Now your tire is raised up and the chains are totally free to be moved around and adjusted so you can get them tight the first time. Of course this only works if your not already stuck. I have had luck however with throwing the chains under the tires to get me out of a situation and then chaining up using the same method

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Snow wheeling with chains is awesome.

Understand that there is a much different driving technique. Wheel spin is not your friend - you can easily throw chains off and get them tangled in the bodywork/chassis of the vehicle.

Low speed, steady momentum, easy throttle, let it claw and pull.

libarata

Expedition Leader
You also have to be wary of laws regarding chains. Some areas will treat you like the devil. Also be aware that chains will damage a trail pretty quick as well. For those reasons, I like the flextrax I posted above. Plus, there is no need to drive over them to install :D Another option, are the tire wires/cables. Not sure how large they make them though, but the set I had from my Frontier kicked major ********.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I have a set of cables. Are people chaining up 2 or all 4 tires? My use would be for South or North Pass into Saline Valley.

Expedition Leader
I have a set of cables. Are people chaining up 2 or all 4 tires? My use would be for South or North Pass into Saline Valley.

You get the most benefit from chaining the front, but if I can (vehicle dependent) I chain all four.

java

Expedition Leader
You get the most benefit from chaining the front, but if I can (vehicle dependent) I chain all four.

Agreed, I do the front first. You can brake much better with the front chained over the rear. But if your 2wd only chain the drive wheels.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You do get what you pay for with tire chains. Look for the high quality European brands. I'm a big fan of Pewag.

Cheep chinese tire chains will break, tear things up, and cause a huge headache when you're stuck in a 4 foot drift over an icy creak with a broken cross chain or side chain.

For what its worth I also like the ladder chains with v-bars the best. Have never found side-hill traction to be an issue and they claw forwards like crazy.

pwh2828sc_2013~Ford~F-150_5_1000.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz