Ether's 98 Dakota Adventure Rig

Ether

Time to build a new adventure rig! Eight months ago I sold my Grand Cherokee, and I've finally decided to start building something new. Every rig I've built up to this point has been an SUV. At this point the build is going to be starting on a budget, so I began scouring the internet for a cheap project truck. Finally I came upon the perfect base to build a unique all-around expo rig. I came across this 98 Dodge Dakota, 318 V8, 5 speed extended cab, with a fiberglass utility bed. It needs a little work, including a rear shackle, the taillights rewired, a front fender, and the front bumper repaired. But for only $1300 I couldn't pass it up. I've got a ton of plans for it already, and they will take shape over time. I decided to actually keep an updated log of modifications and service with this truck however, and keep an updated build thread. It may not be brand new, but I know I can restore it into a road and trail-worthy adventure rig. But now for the best part, because no build thread would be complete without pictures!

WP_20141212_17_12_41_Pro.jpgWP_20141212_17_12_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20141212_17_13_03_Pro.jpgWP_20141212_17_13_15_Pro.jpg
WP_20141212_17_13_38_Pro.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates coming soon!

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Memories. I miss my 98 Dakota a lot. Perfect size truck. the 318 had plenty of punch to spin my 32's I had on it. I had about 2" of lift on it. One thing, make sure you upgrade to a heavy duty ball joint. the stock ones are garbage. Only other thing I can think of would be the transmission filter needs to be replaced more than other rigs. But other than that. Its a great truck.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Time to build a new adventure rig! Eight months ago I sold my Grand Cherokee, and I've finally decided to start building something new. Every rig I've built up to this point has been an SUV. At this point the build is going to be starting on a budget, so I began scouring the internet for a cheap project truck. Finally I came upon the perfect base to build a unique all-around expo rig. I came across this 98 Dodge Dakota, 318 V8, 5 speed extended cab, with a fiberglass utility bed. It needs a little work, including a rear shackle, the taillights rewired, a front fender, and the front bumper repaired. But for only $1300 I couldn't pass it up. I've got a ton of plans for it already, and they will take shape over time. I decided to actually keep an updated log of modifications and service with this truck however, and keep an updated build thread. It may not be brand new, but I know I can restore it into a road and trail-worthy adventure rig. But now for the best part, because no build thread would be complete without pictures!
Stay tuned for more updates coming soon!

You got lucky, they did not build many of that body style with a manual transmission like they had in the square body Dakota. Let me know if you need any clean body parts for it and I'll take a look around, we have minimal rust out west and it makes for great salvage parts.

conifers4

Suburban nomad
I can honestly say I have never seen a Dakota with a utility body. Seems like you purchased it for quite a good price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz