2006 fe180 max stock boost

boostin

Adventurer
Hey guys

Just wondering what your max stock boost is on a fe180...Not sure if it's more then a fg...that's how they get the extra power?

I have a gauge that maxed out at fifteen and went way past that..

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Hummmm, good question, I had not noticed that.
According to the 'specs'
the FE with a 4M50-3AT8 is rated at 175 hp & 391 ft-lb (FE spec-sheet)

while the the FG with a 4M50-3AT7 is rated at 147 hp & 347 ft-lb (FG spec-sheet)
another 18 HP and 44 ft-lb would be nice

boostin

Adventurer
Yah I have driven both and the fe honestly feels like a drag car..

Any one know what stock boost is on a fg?

Reason I ask is I think I am over boosting..hitting fuel cut and going into limp mode

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
On page 13E-41 of the FG shop manual it shows the max reading (4.5v) for the factory pressure sensor to be: 163.7 kPa {48.4 in. Hg, 1230 mmHg}
or 23.77 psi. So something under, but close to that I would guess.

BTW- that is assuming you are starting with a standard pressure (atmospheric) pressure of 100 kPa {29.9 in. Hg, 760 mmHg} or 14.68 psi at 25' C (77' F).
So an additional 9 psi boost over atmospherical pressure on a standard day at sea level.

BTW II - those are for my year FG which is a 2002, so 2006 might be different.

boostin

Adventurer
Awesome thanks for looking that up from what I saw in the fsm for mine was max 67 kpa free revving no load..which is just under 10 psi..

I was getting about 13 psi but I think it would boost even higher under load

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I would sure like to be able to dial in some more 'boost' for hills if necessary (easy enough to do with modifying the pressure the wastegate sees), but without extra fuel being added (something not as easy to do), that extra pressure would not be any help, right? (I'm guessing with a handle of boostin you might know)

BTW lots of Fuso turbo/boost info here on the portal in case you haven't seen it, when we all were troubleshooting John's FM260 Uber-Fuso LINK

boostin

Adventurer
My name BOOSTIN comes from turboing gas engines as far as diesel I know the concept of boost just each diesel system has it's own limits of how much extra fuel it can add.

I put a boost gauge on the truck tonight as soon as it hits 23 limp mode hits..I feel like it would climb more if it did not hit limp mode.

I put the sane gauge on my Fe140 and max boost is 20.

So I feel like my truck is over boosting putting it into limp mode.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
On page 13E-41 of the FG shop manual it shows the max reading (4.5v) for the factory pressure sensor to be: 163.7 kPa {48.4 in. Hg, 1230 mmHg}
or 23.77 psi. So something under, but close to that I would guess.

BTW- that is assuming you are starting with a standard pressure (atmospheric) pressure of 100 kPa {29.9 in. Hg, 760 mmHg} or 14.68 psi at 25' C (77' F).
So an additional 9 psi boost over atmospherical pressure on a standard day at sea level.

BTW II - those are for my year FG which is a 2002, so 2006 might be different.
Most gauges read in "gauge" pressure unless it states "absolute pressure". Meaning that 23.77psi is in addition to standard atmospheric pressure.

I would sure like to be able to dial in some more 'boost' for hills if necessary (easy enough to do with modifying the pressure the wastegate sees), but without extra fuel being added (something not as easy to do), that extra pressure would not be any help, right? (I'm guessing with a handle of boostin you might know)

BTW lots of Fuso turbo/boost info here on the portal in case you haven't seen it, when we all were troubleshooting John's FM260 Uber-Fuso LINK
Are you blowing any black smoke?
What are your EGT's?

More boost without fuel will increase your AFR, most likely won't add any additional power (in fact it can take some away as pumping losses due to the greater backpressure on the turbine) unless you are running a very rich AFR already, which is unlikely. Power comes from the fuel, you just need enough air to complement it so it won't melt pistons or make people mad with throwing too much black smoke.
My name BOOSTIN comes from turboing gas engines as far as diesel I know the concept of boost just each diesel system has it's own limits of how much extra fuel it can add.

I put a boost gauge on the truck tonight as soon as it hits 23 limp mode hits..I feel like it would climb more if it did not hit limp mode.

I put the sane gauge on my Fe140 and max boost is 20.

So I feel like my truck is over boosting putting it into limp mode.
What codes are you throwing that is putting it into limp home mode?

boostin

Adventurer
I am getting zero codes...I feel pretty confident it's over boosting. I wonder if there should be a over boost code?

It runs much more boost then the fe140 do I feel that's the problem.

Every time boost hits 23 psi limp mode hits...if I stay below 23 drives great.

No egt gauge so not sure what they are but it seems like I little black smoke.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If it's actually going into limp mode then I'd be very surprised if it's not recording an error code, as it does this for pretty much everything that goes wrong.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I am getting zero codes...

Overboost is code 32 for my year truck, so I'm sure an '06 will have one also.

From the manual..... (formatting is off)

32 BOOST PRES
Code issued
condition
[Reset condition]
Diagnostic trouble code 32 is intended for checking the harness of the boost pressure sensor for open or short
circuit and checking the boost pressure sensor for abnormalities.
The code is issued when the output voltage of the boost pressure sensor continues to be out of the specified
limits for the predetermined period of time.
[When the voltage of the boost pressure sensor re-enters the specified range, a reset is made.]
Action taken by
control unit
Controls are made on the assumption that the boost pressure is 100 kPa {29.9 in. Hg, 760 mmHg}
Warning lamp
illuminated
–
Probable cause
and check item
•
•
•
Open or short circuit in harness
between control unit and boost
pressure sensor
Faulty boost pressure sensor
Faulty control unit
•
•
•
Perform checks on the basis of the service data of the Multi-Use
Tester II. P13E-28
No. 15: Boost pressure measurement
Check boost pressure sensor.
P13E-36: Inspection of Electrical Devices
Check circuit between control unit and boost pressure sensor.
P13E-48: Electrical Wiring Diagram

boostin

Adventurer
The only way I have to check for codes is by pulling out the fuse in the box that flashes the code in the engine light... there is nothing in either current or past codes.

No check engine light.

Honestly been chasing this problem for a few months with no luck.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The only way I have to check for codes is by pulling out the fuse in the box that flashes the code in the engine light... there is nothing in either current or past codes.
No check engine light.
Honestly been chasing this problem for a few months with no luck.

I can not speak for post 2005, but prior to that the way to check the 'faults' without the MUT-II tester was to use the Diagnostic Check and Memory Clear connectors (no fuses involved). Perhaps the later trucks are difference, but if not it sounds like you are clearing the memory by removing power (the fuse) and would not see the faults blinking without the Diagnostic Check connector being used.
Again, post 2006 trucks might be different then the old-iron Fusos.

boostin

Adventurer
Yah I found in the fsm just fuses you pull...one is for current codes the other is for past codes.

Works with ecm,tcm, and abs. Pretty handy for a quick read.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I am getting zero codes...I feel pretty confident it's over boosting. I wonder if there should be a over boost code?

It runs much more boost then the fe140 do I feel that's the problem.

Every time boost hits 23 psi limp mode hits...if I stay below 23 drives great.

No egt gauge so not sure what they are but it seems like I little black smoke.
As has been mentioned, if it is going into limp home mode, it should throw a code.
I'm not sure if pulling a fuse shows all codes, but I would get a code reader on it to double check.

I personally suspect that its a fuel issue (not boost), but trying to diagnose without understanding all the codes/issues over the internet pretty futile :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles