Help with Nav Tablet

Longrange308

Adventurer
I have been running a combo of my iPhone 6+ with Motion-X and a Samsung Galaxy TAB4 with Gaia and honestly, I don't bother looking at the iphone all that often anymore.. The Tab with Gaia does just about everything I need. I typically use the iphone for setting up optional waypoints or other side tasks. The Galaxy/Gaia combo handles everything quite well.

MojaveMadMan

Observer
So I figured I would bring my participation in my own thread question back from the dead. I didn't end up building one of these for my pops like I originally considered. However I just ordered up stuff for myself haha. This time with a slightly bigger budget.

Ordered up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0. They are on Amazon for $140 right now brand new so I couldn't pass it up. Love me some prime, I should have it by Tuesday of next week!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8DL78O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ordered up a mount from a company called Pro Clip USA. This was the harder part for me. I found it easy to compare tablets, but finding a mount that fit my requirements was surprisingly tough... I didn't think I was being too picky. I just wanted a mount that had some sort of clamp on all four sides. Being that this is going to be an off-road tablet I wanted to make sure it was secure. Nothing is more fun than going 50 mph on a trail and having your tablet bounce loss and land in your foot area...

Here is a link. They have great mounts for just about any tablet! http://www.proclipusa.com/tablet-ho...tilt-swivel-511636-19690.cmsv?p_leftorright=0

My plan is to mount it to the dash, or if I can't find a good spot on the dash to support I can always bend up a little tube that bolts to the tunnel on the passenger side and routs the tablet to my desired spot. I will post pictures when it gets here.

So next is to get some Nav apps and maps loaded. You guys have posted a ton of great info on here that I plan to use!

Also, I am ordering up the Bluetooth OBD2 plug so I can mess with that as well. I already have a scan gauge so we will see which one I like better....

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I have the same tablet, I've recently set it up with a Ram X-Grip for small tablets.

I need to get photos, I'm happy with the stability, once I figured out how to mount everything. The spring-lever mechanism for the X-Grip has a weird side effect where once the tablet is installed, the unit can rotate about 15°. Some people are bothered, but most people (including me) can find a way to "preload" the mechanism to one side or the other so that it won't rotate once installed. Also helps if you have a bit of dashboard to rest part of the mount against.

PDF Maps is the app that I use more extensively, mostly when on foot, but it works ok off-road when you're moving slow, too. It's designed to utilize PDF files with embedded geospatial data (GeoPDF) and does the job very well, in my opinion. It's also a free app, and while you can make in app purchases of map tile sets, it also works very well with the free geopdf maps that are downloadable through the USGS map locator and downloader. Quadrangle maps (7.5x7.5 minute) are pretty good resolution and most (in my region, at least) have been updated in the last 2-3 years. These maps are next to useless for on-road navigation though, and do not in any way shape or form support turn by turn, route planning, etc... unless its in the form of a GPS track. This is where you need the microSD, though, as the maps take up quite a bit of memory. The lower peninsula of Michigan west of US-131 adds up to about 5gb if I remember correctly, so it will eat up the internal memory of an 8gb tablet very quickly.

Just gave this a shot and that is the most painful process to get them to your phone. is there a better app for that?

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Just gave this a shot and that is the most painful process to get them to your phone. is there a better app for that?

For transferring/adding GEOPDF maps to use with the PDF Maps App? Not that I am aware of, and yes, it is quite painful since everything is done manually, and the app has to translate the PDF into a usable format.

I've started using backcountry navigator more, lately, as it's a lot more user friendly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke