Whats really needed for a full SR rear axle swap

Montynv

Observer
I have searched and all I find is the basic parts needed to make it work, but I want to know everything I need. What is the complete list of items needed? Besides an SR axle, dash switch and compressor what else should be taken from a donor vehicle? Is there a control box or relay that is needed? Is there a specific wiring schematic to make it work? Or just wire to a power source or is it better to get the wiring harness from the donor.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
What year vehicle do you have and what year is the donor? These are important questions.

You need the complete axle, compressor and i'd use an aftermarket switch. There is a really nice one that matches the interior and has two internal lights so you can see it at night and know when the locker is engaged.

Montynv

Observer
Thx, I guess it would help to know what this is for. I have a 91, been looking at 94-96 donor. What's wrong with the factory switch? And any pics of the switch your suggesting? And that's it? no other parts from the donor. Also when with the rear disc brakes do you I need a different master cylinder?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You want the Gen 2 trailing arms too but they are not necessary, use the gen 1 frameside bushings. The reason you don't want the factory switch is because it only works with it's computer which is tied into the transmission harness on the Gen 2.

Here's the one i'm talking about, you can get it's internal lights any color. Wire it to your locker, your interior lights to illuminate the switch and to the locker detent so the indicator light will illuminate when the locker is fully engaged. You can just use a normal toggle switch but it's nice to know when the locker is engaged so that you're not hammering on the locker while it's trying to engage or disengage because it will shear the engaging teeth off.

DSCF0406.jpg

If your donor axle is sourced from a '94 you will need a pinion flange from a later model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier