Looking at raising my trailer SOA

ikk

Adventurer
I am looking at raising my trailer as I would like to give it more ground clearance. My trailer has hydraulic brakes, and was wondering what is the easiest way of doing this. Should I do an axle flip which would require me to remove the brakes and flip them back to the original position, or should I purchase a Trailer Springs Over-Under Conversion Kit, or do I need both.

IMG_20141107_104706.jpg

P1020494 (Medium).JPG

lilgription

Observer
Since it has brakes I would get new spring seats for the axle, weld them on top and your done. May have to adjust your brake lines, add, relocate. Etc.

I did a SPOA and flip on my flatbed to give it more clearance, so I guess it all boils down to how much lift you need. I don't have brakes on my trailer, so it wasn't too involved, but it gave me 17in inder the axle and 22in under the frame. Don't forget that you'll also gain clearance with a larger set of tires and a cheap shackle extension, too.

brandon1

Observer
You shouldn't flip your axle. Just weld new spring perches on the top of your axle. The axle is pre-bent and the arch should stay facing upward.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
You shouldn't flip your axle. Just weld new spring perches on the top of your axle. The axle is pre-bent and the arch should stay facing upward.
^This. I wouldn't flip it. Swap the perches to the other side and you're done.

If you need any more clearance longer shackles are under $40 from your local trailer supply store. If you lift it any more than that's when I would start thinking about possibly buying a wider axle or lower offset wheels.

ikk

Adventurer
^This. I wouldn't flip it. Swap the perches to the other side and you're done.

If you need any more clearance longer shackles are under $40 from your local trailer supply store. If you lift it any more than that's when I would start thinking about possibly buying a wider axle or lower offset wheels.

WagoneerSx4 are you saying not to purchase the extra perches, Just swap them from below and place them on top? As for ride height I hope I can get 4 or 5 inches which is what I am looking for.

ikk: I personally would not recommend etrailer. Go to your local trailer supply.

Why do you say that? I have purchase stuff from them before with only one issue which they handled incredibly well. I purchased a roof top carrier for my SUV. It was a bit scratched up with a small dent probably due to mishandling. They offered me to return it at no cost, or provide me a nice discount and free can of paint which is what I took.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
ikk: I personally would not recommend etrailer. Go to your local trailer supply.

My experience has been the exact opposite of yours, apparently. I've been ripped off and/or frustrated by lack of inventory from every single local trailer supply store I've visited; conversely, I've placed many orders with etrailer.com and never had a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles