Fiamma or similar small awnings worth it?

DVexile

Adventurer
I'm looking to most likely do a Flippac on a Tacoma in the coming year, though something like a Finch sized full pop-up is not out of the question either. Either way, closed size on the truck about the same allowing for at most a 6ft wide awning.

I'm wondering about the actual utility of an awning on something of this scale. It sure seems like the awning is quite small and in practical use the shade footprint is vanishingly small or not usefully located for most of the day. Heck, in most of the online photos I see of these awnings deployed the people or equipment it is suppose to be covering are in the sun!

Destinations for me are SW deserts, DVNP especially. Remote sites usually and so it isn't clear to me I'd always have the flexibility in orienting the truck to maximize awning usefulness.

It sure seems like these awnings deploy quickly and are convenient. So I have fantasies of being able to stop for lunch and quickly deploy the awning for the family while we enjoy the scenery eating and then move on. But having tried to fashion shade in the desert for a number of years I have trouble imagining that a 6ft by 6ft square parallel to the ground is actually going to provide any shade unless perfectly oriented to the sun. Of course the sun moves throughout the day and the awning is stuck to the side of the truck so...

Am I missing something? It looks to be very cute and convenient compared to taking the time to set up a free standing shade shelter (have one, it is a pain). But do people find they actually provide good shade? Or are you supplementing them somehow to improve the shade they offer?

Thanks!

djmase

Adventurer
We use our ARB one often...there are also some side nets available that can turn an ARB into and exterior room. For the cost of the ARB, I'd say it is well worth it. The Fiamma is much more difficult to justify, based on cost of unit with comparable function.

Late and early in the day, when the sun is at low angles, the awning is much less effective, it is best for overhead sun, during the hot part of the day....when you would actually want shade. Although, my wife like the awning out if we are setting up camp as it helps provide a sense of home and space. If you cook outside, it feels like a little galley which can be a mental comfort for some folks.

subterran

Adventurer
+1 on the ARB being awesome for the money. Also +1 on the Fiamma being overpriced for basically the same functionality. The only plus I'd give the Fiamma is that it looks cleaner / sleeker than the bag on the ARB. If you'd like to see a nifty mounting solution that would allow you to move the awning around on the camper, check my build thread.

Gary4Wheel

I picked up my new FWC Eagle in October and so far we have about 15 days of camping with it. I have only set up the awning twice and found it very nice to have. Mine is a Fiamma F45S. I think it will be more valuable in the summer when the sun is higher in the sky and therefore gives a larger patch of shade in the hours around mid day when I need it most. I am quite happy that I added this option and would certainly buy it again.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have a Hannibal with zip on walls and I love it...
Best used for lunch stops or with rain/drizzle...not much rain in Arizona but happens.
We love ours and will never have a rig without some sort of awning.

DVexile

Adventurer
Thanks for all the feedback!

Looking through more build threads I'm seeing some clever supplements and mountings. With the Fiamma or ARB poles on the ground I think I could make a simple shade side panel that would make better shade at lower sun angles. Velcro loops on two adjacent sides for the awning vertical and horizontal poles would secure three corners and the forth tied with a guy somewhere on the truck...

At some point I'll have to decide between the Fiamma and ARB - if I do a Fiamma I might as well have AT install it at time of manufacture. Price difference between them is high, but that's a different story for a different thread at some point.

Like the various swappable/removable mounting ideas. Will have to think about permanent fixed vs. movable... So many decisions...

djmase

Adventurer
Here is the tale of my ARB and install on my TC.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...oma-Camper-Build-djmase?p=1672117#post1672117
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...oma-Camper-Build-djmase?p=1672120#post1672120
And yes, it would be very easy to make a fabric or net wall that could velcro around the top bar and corner post with more attachment on the truck side to keep things all squeaky clean. I may have to mock one up to see if it is a winner.

If you go the ARB route, you can have an awning and a full mozzie net built by arb for under $500. That is really tough to beat.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Outdoor-...=ARBARB3109A&gclid=CPOO4Y2B0cICFWsF7Aod9RMAug
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/arb-awning-2500-mm-98-43-inches-arb4401a.html

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We have been selling Fiamma Awnings for years. They really are a wonderful product. If you are looking for 3 or 4 wall enclosures for the awnings AT can have them locally made in Prescott.

craig333

Expedition Leader
One bad thing about the Fiamma. Somehow, and I have no idea how, water gets inside. Almost every time I open it up its wet. Not a big deal as long as you dry it out often. I'd probably think about sides and such if I camped in one spot more.

escadventure

Adventurer
I think your original questio is about the size? I too have an 8' and love it. Our awning was the first piece of kit that had a big impact on our trips...

I suppose a 6' is better than nothing but you might be right in questioning the utility of the small footprint. Seem to recall a Howling Moon small awning that coukld extend it's sides. Also what about a Foxwing or Ostrichwing? They too have shorter mounts but big open footprints.

austintaco

Explorer
I think they are worth it. I found mine on craigslist and saved a bunch. Its not a fiamma or ARB. It's called a Sidewinder, made by carefree but originally distributed by ironhorse as an SUV awning. I need to find a way to secure the feet to the vehicle so I don't have to worry about the legs being in the way or the dogs getting tangled around them. If you decide you want one, be patient, search the forums, cl, ebay, etc...or buy one from AT and never look back.

DVexile

Adventurer
Thanks again everyone. Sounds like for no hassle robust approach just having AT install a Fiamma F35 would be the way to go. Though something like the ARB self installed could be a good cost savings.

I'd be doing a Flippac on a 63" bed (Tacoma Double Cab). I'm wondering if you can mount a 2.2m Fiamma on that small of a FlipPac - I think it would have to protrude a bit in the front - or if the 1.8m is the only option on the smallest FlipPacs. I'll get around to asking AT at some point I guess!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94