OK4WD Daily Driver / Overland Rubicon

bjunc

Observer
Rin,

I've been following this and the "Alu-Cab has landed in the USA" thread. A lot of great info, and I think your JKUR resembles mine quite a bit! Anyway, two questions:

1. Is the new James Baroud on your Jeep a decision to go with the Baroud over the Alu-Cab? If so, why? A head-to-head comparison video might be very helpful to some evaluating both – especially since they are similar price points.

2. Is the consensus that the AEV / Pioneer rack is not capable of supporting the Shadow Awning?

I have the AEV rack, and I was thinking about getting a James Baroud and the Eezi-Awn Swift, but it'd be great to get the Alu-Cab Shadow (if it can be supported by the AEV/Pioneer system).

Thanks in advance!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Rin,

I've been following this and the "Alu-Cab has landed in the USA" thread. A lot of great info, and I think your JKUR resembles mine quite a bit! Anyway, two questions:

1. Is the new James Baroud on your Jeep a decision to go with the Baroud over the Alu-Cab? If so, why? A head-to-head comparison video might be very helpful to some evaluating both – especially since they are similar price points.

2. Is the consensus that the AEV / Pioneer rack is not capable of supporting the Shadow Awning?

I have the AEV rack, and I was thinking about getting a James Baroud and the Eezi-Awn Swift, but it'd be great to get the Alu-Cab Shadow (if it can be supported by the AEV/Pioneer system).

Thanks in advance!

Thank you and great minds think alike :) haha

The James Baroud and Alu Cab tents are very alike, but very different. There are things I enjoy about both, but neither has a clear advantage over another in every field. Currently on our Red JKUR we are working on a mount that will bolt the Expedition III tent directly to the Rhino Rack Back Bone for the JKU. On my JKUR I'm currently using the JB Explorer Evo, but I'm constantly changing tents for experience and product testing.

We have on our August container from Alu Cab, Shadow Awning mounts for the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform. These mounts are stout and will allow the use of the shadow awning without flex of the rack.
shadowrhino4_zpsd62dunv2.jpg
shadowrhino1_zpsr2ff0mzc.jpg

bjunc

Observer
That's awesome, thanks for the reply!

Just for clarification, the Shadow Awning mounts are interchangeable between the AEV and Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform, correct? Is the only difference the branding / color?

rino

That's awesome, thanks for the reply!

Just for clarification, the Shadow Awning mounts are interchangeable between the AEV and Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform, correct? Is the only difference the branding / color?

No worries, yes the AEV rack is a Rhino Rack. The old racks were silver / black and the AEV racks are still that way.

If you are in Philly, I encourage the trip up to the shop to check it out in person.

bjunc

Observer
Yep, I'm in Philly. I was actually thinking of stopping by to see your showroom, and even did a virtual tour through Google Maps (had no idea that was even possible). I'll come up next week (doing some work on the Jeep this weekend)!

rino

Yep, I'm in Philly. I was actually thinking of stopping by to see your showroom, and even did a virtual tour through Google Maps (had no idea that was even possible). I'll come up next week (doing some work on the Jeep this weekend)!
Yeah that is neat right? I will be out for a few weekends after this week for shows, but awesome!

Most people do not think of this when they think of New Jersey. :)

DJI_0411_zpsnbv7a4rw.jpg

rino

RARE PARTS Steering Upgrade

The time has not come where my steering is needing immediate attention, but for peace of mind I decided it was time to upgrade sooner than later. When searching for steering upgrades on the Jeep JK it is easy to get lost in the endless options, HEIM Joints, "1 ton" rod ends, chromoly rod, etc. Which brings the question, what is the best setup for how I use my JK? A few things I knew I wanted were, increased strength of the rods, heavier duty joints that are greaseable and replaceable over time.

My searches brought me to a newer offering from a company named Rare Parts. While newer to the Jeep market, they have produced steering products since 1981. I liked the beefy (maybe overkill) 1.75" sleeves and 1.25" forged rod ends. Another cool feature is all 4 joints (lower & upper drag and both tie rods) use the same replaceable joint. So one spare can cover the whole system!

7E327F84-A189-4131-AE2F-A744C6C3485F_zpsbx81u4ki.jpg

Upon opening the box the quality is obvious.

rare3_zpse1tkvbl3.jpg

Copious amounts of Red Locktite :)

rare5_zpsokk3j4yg.jpg

Tie Rod installed

568DF8A0-4468-430D-AD6C-C1141F77F597_zpsg7ckyvme.jpg

Drag Link installed

rare6_zpsmnfcrnaq.jpg

I had asked about wheel clearance with my AEV wheels, which as told fit perfect. However I was very lucky with the clearance to the AEV bumper skid plate!

rare7_zpsvqiedrcv.jpg

Overall a smooth install of a quality product. Instructions were detailed and the product inspires a lot of confidence after you set your hands on it and the OEM. I'm also interested to see the longevity of a kit designed for big tires and rocks when only used for medium off-roading, soft-roading and daily driving.

Abe Froman

Adventurer
Rin,
Any more thoughts or reviews on the goose gear system you installed?
I need to sort out the storage in my tank jku.
I have the same arb fridge as you, bought it from you guys too.
What is MSRP on the complete goose gear set up you have?

rino

Mid Atlantic Overland Festival, with Craig of James Baroud and Matt of 4xfish!

C6E1568B-8D95-43EA-96B6-267B4658DB1D_zps18kaeodd.jpg

2AF3EF87-AA87-44DF-AB51-0EB1A3CECDF1_zps3wmysjhi.jpg

7352A4BE-75BD-4D4E-847F-1BC873AFFF5C_zpsuislqnvm.jpg

A80837C9-E4DA-43B7-93BE-17D61C160314_zpsrcuuwgkn.jpg

Oskipoo

Not Mechanically Inclined
Wow I just spent like 4 hours catching and reading the whole thread. You have the perfect JKU and i will be contacting you soon about the rhino rack backbone system, in a few years hopefully Ill catch up to you with my JKU. Do you guys sell tire and wheel packages as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior