LR3 Brake Pad Choices

GORM

Adventurer
I need to replace my rear pads on Mortimer, my 2008 LR3 HSE. Rotors seem in good shape and given my rover has 75k I'm sure they were replaced by the previous owner. The wear sensor has not been tripped.

Lots of research has not yielded much help on which pads to get. Any suggestions on pad choices? Would prefer to purchase kit so I can replace clips and pins and I will do this job myself (with help) and after reading The Brake Bible as well as RSW and AB videos which I have found super helpful.

Thanks
Kent

johnsoax

Adventurer
I replaced my rear brakes with Wagner QC1099 brake pads. I also replaced the rotors with Raybestos 980345. I did not replace the pins and clips, but I cleaned them real well. Took me a couple of hours, since I had to do the parking brake bed in since I replaced the rotors. If I hadn't needed to replace the rotors, it would have taken less than an hour.

I put them on over a year ago, and I am still pretty happy with them (Changed Rear in Nov 2013 and front in Dec 2013)

GORM

Adventurer
Brake pads great, but I think I broke the sensor

I went with Wagner pads, these were like $48 delivered from rock auto. Pads went in very easy, this was my first ad change in maybe 20 years. I had some support but this was really easy. Old pads had life to them but the shims on the reverse were shot and breaking apart so this may have been the source of squeal. I spec'd my rotors and they were at 19mm so I'm good on rotors until maybe the next pad change.

One issue I did encounter was with the rear brake sensor. The rubber housing was cracked prior to me starting me I suspect it was that way for a while. When I removed, there was a small "U" shaped clip that came off the end. This seemed to be a spring clip to keep the sensor in. I put back on the sensor and installed. BRAKE light was on when I completed job. Question: Is the separation of the clip significant? In the even I reinstalled incorrectly by grounding out the sensor against the metal portion of the pad, does that mean I cannot remove/ reinstall the sensor? If the latter can happen during install, I guess one can ground out a new sensor very easily. Any thoughts to options?

Thanks

srschick

Adventurer
if there's any little thing wrong with the sensor, it'll show the light. replace it with a new one, they're relatively cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles