Liberty, My 97 F250 CCSB

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Well, now that I have had my truck for a year I suppose I should finally get around to making my build thread. Backstory- I have wanted an OBS ford since I was a kid. Drove several over the years and the want never left. Was casually looking for a truck last fall and was split on keeping my Montero and getting an older, cheaper truck or getting something a bit nicer. The first truck I looked at was a T100 and then on the way home I went and looked at a 95 F250 ECLB, reaffirming that I definitely wanted a full-size and to keep my montero as a DD.
A few months of casual looking went by and I stumbled on a 97 CCSB with a 7.3 for a good deal. Originally wanted a long bed as I was living in the mountains in CO and heated with wood in my then-rental home. Also wasn't looking for a diesel or a high mileage truck (261k). But I was facing the likelihood of moving to a city somewhere in the next year for my girl to start grad school, and I decided 6.5' was still long enough to camp out of, especially with a full crew cab for storage. And I have always wanted a diesel deep down, lol! Went to drive it and brought it home a few days later. It was pretty rough, matching the deal I got, but only had two owners and supposedly 90k on a rebuilt/swapped engine and trans. It drove good so I went with it (maybe my biggest impulse buy ever)!
Well now that a year has went by I've put around 5k miles on it and have fixed a few typical 7.3 issues (glow plugs this past fall, new batteries this week, fixed some leaks, door pins and bushings, random interior and exterior fixes), typical high-mileage truck stuff, new tires, and I added a camper shell for dog hauling and camping. Learned a lot about diesels as I have went along. The truck has settled in well to its role as dog hauler, bike hauler, temporary home, and ski mobile.
This truck is never going to see a huge build or be nearly as nice as some of the other OBS fords here due to my budget, lack of motivation, and other responsibilities, but it fits my current needs VERY well just as it sits without having to build it out, which is exactly why I bought it!
We added a second dog to the home this week so the truck is more important now than ever! Unfortunately I started this week with two COMPLETELY shot batteries when we went to pick up the new dog and now it is sitting in the driveway with a blown return fuel line from our trip to the ski hill this morning. But now she has fresh batteries and will be getting new return lines next week!

Here are a few pictures from the last year, and I am making a resolution to get better about taking pictures so hopefully there will be more to come!

First camping/wheeling trip with the new rig

new camper shell

Rosie admiring the new 285s

On the to-do list for the near future:
Replacing the blown return fuel line
cleaning up the HUGE mess it made!
Couple small cooling system leaks that come and go when it sits for a week or two at a time
Finish rebuilding door panels to eliminate squeaks and rattles
trans flush, maybe?- Fluid looks good
Maybe a sleeping platform next summer, have been back and forth on building one since I bought the thing.

amgvr4

Adventurer
The truck looks good! I love the sbcc trucks and spent a year looking before I got mine. The only down side is the ttb d50 front axle, but that is easy to fix. Good luck with the truck and keep us posted with your progress.

underdrive

jackwagon
This truck is never going to see a huge build or be nearly as nice as some of the other OBS fords here due to my budget, lack of motivation, and other responsibilities, but it fits my current needs VERY well just as it sits without having to build it out, which is exactly why I bought it!
Sure sure, next thing you know you're into it like this guy: www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/125420-OBS-F250-slow-adventure-build :ylsmoke:

Regarding the transmission stuff, here's something you may find useful - 4R100 transmissions have 3/8" cooling lines, some '97 E4ODs also run that size. '96 and older E4ODs will have 5/16" lines. Bigger is better, so check what yours has. If you're still running the smaller lines the 3/8" setup is a bolt-on job, well you'll have to run your own cooling lines but that's easy enough. Then up front you want a factory cooler from a V10 or 6.0 truck. Throw in an aftermarket spin-on filter somewhere along the line, add a temperature gauge for the trans fluid (and pay attention to it when climbing a hill in 1st or 2nd gear), run synthetic fluid, and she'll be happy for a long long while. If you feel like tearing into it a Trans-Go Tugger shift kit is nice to install, or if you want the easier way out replace the whole valve body with an aftermarket one (the Punisher comes to mind here).

Oh, and budget in a pair of manual locking hubs for the front axle. You don't necessarily need Warm Premiums or the new Yukon monsters, junkyard-sourced factory manuals in good shape will likely work just fine. Those autos you got now are nice for the convenience of not having to walk out into the muck when you need 4x4, but they sometimes let go or just plain refuse to actuate when you most need them.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Sure sure, next thing you know you're into it like this guy: www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/125420-OBS-F250-slow-adventure-build :ylsmoke:

Regarding the transmission stuff, here's something you may find useful - 4R100 transmissions have 3/8" cooling lines, some '97 E4ODs also run that size. '96 and older E4ODs will have 5/16" lines. Bigger is better, so check what yours has. If you're still running the smaller lines the 3/8" setup is a bolt-on job, well you'll have to run your own cooling lines but that's easy enough. Then up front you want a factory cooler from a V10 or 6.0 truck. Throw in an aftermarket spin-on filter somewhere along the line, add a temperature gauge for the trans fluid (and pay attention to it when climbing a hill in 1st or 2nd gear), run synthetic fluid, and she'll be happy for a long long while. If you feel like tearing into it a Trans-Go Tugger shift kit is nice to install, or if you want the easier way out replace the whole valve body with an aftermarket one (the Punisher comes to mind here).

Oh, and budget in a pair of manual locking hubs for the front axle. You don't necessarily need Warm Premiums or the new Yukon monsters, junkyard-sourced factory manuals in good shape will likely work just fine. Those autos you got now are nice for the convenience of not having to walk out into the muck when you need 4x4, but they sometimes let go or just plain refuse to actuate when you most need them.

Yeah, I am jealous of his rig for sure! Thanks for the info on the trans lines, that will be helpful if/when I dig into that project. Right now I don't do much towing so trans cooler hasn't been a priority but someday I hope to add a camper of some sort to the stable. But then I also want to add an intercooler and a wicked wheel and and...in my head I have built this truck out but then I look in my wallet and reality sinks back in.
As far as the hubs, they are also on the list, hoping to get to a yard in the next couple months and grab a set. When I got the truck swapping out the autos was my first priority but they have been working so far so it is on the back burner.

Seabass

Idiot
It's always nice to see another OBS ford. Truly a great truck in truck history. I bet you find ways to modify. I bought mine in December of 13. In the last year I've worked on the suspension, the engine, the trans, the interior, the tires, and everything else I can manage to mess with (I have a build thread on here if you can find it). And by "work on" I mean modify mostly. Although the tranny did break- witch led to "modify." When I bought it I thought I'd leave it just the way it was. Ha. Whatever! You got a great platform there- and one of the toughest trucks ever put on rubber (Dana 50 ttb or not). It's in good shape from the looks of it. I'll second the hubs- mine messed up almost immediately after I bought it. Today it has a set of warn hubs. Good luck- keep us posted.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Thanks everyone! Seabass your build has been an inspiration for mine like all the other OBS's on here. The Front end on this thing was serviced somewhere along the way with new parts and is fairly tight but if and when it gives me grief it will probably come out for a 60.
I suppose the pics on here do a good job of hiding the giant dents in the bedside and making it look fairly clean! With a nicer bed this thing actually would look decent, just has lots of little dents and chips all across the body from being a ranch truck a couple owners ago.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Well got the new return line on yesterday and topped off the powersteering fluid. Started the day by breaking off the clip on one of the valve cover harness plugs so that was a bummer. Dabbed a little rtv on the connection and gonna keep am eye on it cause I don't feel like rewiring with a new plug.

swashbuckler

Hooligan
Jealous! That's the truck I was looking all over Utah for a couple months ago and couldn't find. Wanna trade for an '01 Supercrew? :D

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Jealous! That's the truck I was looking all over Utah for a couple months ago and couldn't find. Wanna trade for an '01 Supercrew? :D

Well a few months ago it was in my driveway...in Utah! Lol
The thought has crossed my mind to sell it as it is really more truck than I need, but nothing jumps out at me to replace it in my budget.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Well, not much to update on the truck in the past month, been driving my montero most of the time as diesel has been pushing ~$1 more per gallon than RUG. I did unplug the EBPV today, been annoyed with that thing since the day I bought the truck. It didn't bother me too much driving around town but when leaving the ski hill at the end of the day I would head straight downhill for 15 minutes so the truck doesn't really warm up. It got real old having to step on the gas pedal to go downhill! Of course since it has a Cali motor/computer, it lit up the CEL, but I think for now I will just deal with it then plug it back in once it warms up as it doesn't cause any problems when its over 50F or so. Anyone have experience wiring in a resistor to the plug to fool the CEL? Saw a few posts about this on various 7.3 sites but nothing with actual helpful info other than a BD plug that is like $60, no thanks!

Oh, and I almost forgot...Not related to the truck but the GF suprised me with a trip to Jackson Hole for christmas so we loaded up the dogs (in the montero) for a few days up there, and I came home with a fiance! And the trip was a good excuse to put new tires on the montero and a great way to ring in the new year!

So with the wedding in CO, a honeymoon trip, possibly a bachelor party trip, and a couple other small trips I have in the works it seems pretty likely that the truck will be going on at least a few adventures this summer! Hoping to tackle some maintenance and fix her up a little this spring once it gets warm so I can feel better about taking off and racking up the miles! Now to get this thread back on track, holding down her usual spot in the driveway

Last edited:

amgvr4

Adventurer
Awesome news! I did something different with my EBPV. Instead of disconnecting it I wired it to a switch in my cab so I could turn it on and off whenever I want. It is really nice being able to start the truck up and flip the switch and let it warm up faster than just idling. It would work even better with a chip and a high idle setting. I can also use it a s poor mans exhaust brake on long down hills. Also there is no CEL with it wired to a toggle.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Awesome news! I did something different with my EBPV. Instead of disconnecting it I wired it to a switch in my cab so I could turn it on and off whenever I want. It is really nice being able to start the truck up and flip the switch and let it warm up faster than just idling. It would work even better with a chip and a high idle setting. I can also use it a s poor mans exhaust brake on long down hills. Also there is no CEL with it wired to a toggle.
Cool was reading about doing this earlier today. May eventually make up a little switch panel as I'd like to wire in a torque converter lockup switch too. As far as using it as an exhaust brake I guess that would only make sense if I run a tcc switch as stock the converter unlocks as soon as you tap the brakes. Sounds like the exhaust brake could be a little hard on the old e4od too though according to various folklore.
As far as the CEL do you have a Cali truck or a 49 state truck? My understanding is only the Cali obs's will throw a code when unplugging and maybe even only the autos? In a similar vein the 96-97 cali trucks have a glow plug monitor and will throw a code for a bad glow plug but a 49 state truck won't throw one even if all 8 are bad.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
That plug, even in a CA model truck, should not set a CEL. You might wanna get the codes checked and see what else could setting the CEL. I know of quite a few with OBS trucks that unplug the EBPV and no CEL has ever been set.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Thanks for the intel. Plan to get the code pulled next time im at the parts store. Just thinking its related since it happened right after unplugging but will be nice to know for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke