on board water system

Good idea. I'm heading wheeling in the morning going to test it as is and see what I need to adjust. Bought a regulator to keep the jug at 10psi

99e8dc5f7df7077ae88672358406fa59.jpg

4psi

8psi
354ad874f153a7212cf7192d88dd427d.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
I tried to post an answer to this yesterday, complete with OSHA citations and links, but got a message that it would not be posted until the Mods approve it. Don't know what happened or why, but the short answer is that pressurized PVC is dangerous. Water is not compressible and air is compressible. As the water level in the tank goes down, the amount of compressed air in the tank increases. Air at a given pressure (say 100psi) contains a lot more stored energy than water at the same pressure, because water is not compressible. PVC degrades, gets brittle, etc., and can explode if compromised.

Major flaw in your example is that as the water level in the tank goes down, the volume for air increases and air pressure drops substantially. For your scenario to be real, you'd have to be supplying continuous air to maintain that pressure setting. And that's just pointless for such a tank / usage. Furthermore, one simply uses far less pressure than the rated max for the pipe - which itself is on the 'safe' side of mechanical failure.
You have to put the 'material science' aspects in their proper perspective and not treat them as disastrous absolutes.
We're talking about putting a little pressure in a water tank to help with something like shower water pressure, NOT trying to pressurize a PVC tank for saying airing up tires.

As for PVC degrading, it's a matter of years and UV exposure. Even then, the UV damage is superficial / very shallow. Since you'd be using Sched 40 or even Sched 80 thicknesses, UV is inconsequential.
The simplest thing to do is paint it. Paint it to match your rack or vehicle paint. Paint it a dark color for solar insolation. Help it get warm.

rayra

Expedition Leader
ok, read the rest and you guys could complicate a free lunch. You ARE talking about continuous air pressure.

Just put a vehicle tire valve fitting thru the end cap or sidewall of the PVC, give the tank a shot of air to a pressure below its rating, and be done. No plumbing air lines, regulators etc. It's a convenience tank, not the damned Space Shuttle.

/hmmmmm but I bet if you slapped an ARB sticker on a urine distillation machine on a slide-out tray, some ExPo folk would pay big money for it.

1v6pony

Adventurer
have a question, those of you that are doing the gravity feed and not getting much flow, do you have a vent, that you open when in use?
if you do not have a vent you are creating a vacuum, put in a vent and Ill bet the flow will be better..
Just a thought.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Just put a vehicle tire valve fitting thru the end cap or sidewall of the PVC, give the tank a shot of air to a pressure below its rating, and be done.
You may want to read the literature on air pressure and PVC pipe, and develop a better understanding of the physics of stored energy in compressed gas vs non-compressed fluids. The pressure rating of PVC pipe is for water, not gas. Any tank with good structural integrity is probably fine with air at 5-10psi, but don't get overconfident and pressurize to anything near the published rating. And remember that the pipe rating is irrelevant if the fittings are rated lower (and they usually are). It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.

I wonder if Edison had as much preaching to him. I understand that most people assume that everyone they speak at on the internet is incompetent and uneducated with zero common sense but its not the case. Enterweb parrots are not a good thing to be.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
ok, read the rest and you guys could complicate a free lunch. You ARE talking about continuous air pressure.

Just put a vehicle tire valve fitting thru the end cap or sidewall of the PVC, give the tank a shot of air to a pressure below its rating, and be done. No plumbing air lines, regulators etc. It's a convenience tank, not the damned Space Shuttle.

/hmmmmm but I bet if you slapped an ARB sticker on a urine distillation machine on a slide-out tray, some ExPo folk would pay big money for it.

Must something in the water.lol

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

JMacs

Observer
If you want to take the KISS principle to a more extreme end than most of us want to (no chance to build something cool). Go to the grocery store and buy 1 gallon jugs of water. Easy to transport. Easy to fill. Easy to take it where you need at the campsite.

On a recent camping trip with friends (spoiler alert, this was not an overland trip), we used 6 one gallon jugs. One of the other guys had an 8 gallon jug with wheels and a spigot that we rarely used. Big and heavy when full. Harder to refill. Lid gasket leaked if you didn't get it on just right. When you wanted water to drink, wash dishes, wash your hands, you had to go where it was. The gallon jugs came to us.

Another advantage, you don't have to worry about cleaning them out, drying them out, and storing them between trips. Just put them in the recycling bin when you get home.

BradyD

Observer
ive been busy for the last few months and haven't been on here. I didn't mean t cause so much tension amongst everyone over a water system. to each his own! I still have not completed mine but as for me, mine will have a water pump. its cheap, easy, and hopefully wont kill me! either way, thanks for all the comments and "spirited" conversation

anickode

Adventurer
I wonder if Edison had as much preaching to him. I understand that most people assume that everyone they speak at on the internet is incompetent and uneducated with zero common sense but its not the case. Enterweb parrots are not a good thing to be.

Just reading back on this thread and saw this... actually Edison was the one doing the preaching - about the dangers of high voltage AC power which his competitors Westinghouse and Tesla were promoting. Edison wanted to use low voltage DC Because it's safer (and he held the patents for it). Look what we use now. In spite of the dangers, AC is cheaper and more practical.

Village Idiot
I've been working on a plan for a aluminum water tank I'm building for my van. And using a 12v pump, and a Camp Chef shower. Since there's plenty of room under the van, I should have a pretty large capacity.

I'll upload pics when I take them.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
psi is psi, doesn't matter what is applying the pressure it is it is still pounds per square inch. a pound of lead or a pound of feathers, it is still a pound. geez. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior