hydraulic tensioner/adjuster

MascotRejct

Adventurer
From what I read, its a pain to push the tensioner rod back into the tensioner. If I was doing it, I would just get a new one. All you have to do is pull the pin on it...

ljense8

Adventurer
Check the part number post. There is a link for a kit that I believe includes the tensioner for $104

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I recommend only getting an OEM tensioner, i've seen too many of the aftermarket ones fail within the first 40k. get yourself the tensioner tool or make your own.

timing-tool-14socket-02-400l.jpg

nckwltn

Explorer
Using the proper tool recommended but if not:

1997 montero 3.5 timing belt tensioner pulley: http://youtu.be/Vfp7rH5sZOA

I've used a pair of needle nose pliers. the tension isn't that much... something like 2-4 ft lbs

Also, the rod is super easy to push back into the tensioner... just put it into a vise and close the vise very slowly. if you don't have a spare pin, you can use a small drill bit just as easily

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I've used a pair of needle nose pliers. the tension isn't that much... something like 2-4 ft lbs

Also, the rod is super easy to push back into the tensioner... just put it into a vise and close the vise very slowly. if you don't have a spare pin, you can use a small drill bit just as easily

That's what I was thinking, I have several pairs to use.

BOPOH

Explorer
it's not very scientific method, but i just measured the distance between tensioner puller and its bracket and tighten the new on to the same spec. It looks like both holes should be horizontal when tensioner is released against the belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rolo1738