My D2 Project

da10A

Adventurer
When I had that squeaking sound, it ended up being a wheel bearing for me... But my driveshaft had be rebuilt at that point so...

PhD_Polymath

Observer
The truck has been sitting for a bit. It may be a seized caliper.

It turned out being the front diff third member. When refreshing fluids throughout the truck, I found a roll pin attached to the drain plug on the front diff and lots of metal paste. Lucky8 hooked me up with a used one as a replacement for very cheap. Thanks again, guys!

On another note, the driver's side head gasket blew again after about 2000 miles by the rear cylinder. After doing a flanged liner rebuild, I am not happy to say the least. It could totally be my fault during the rebuild. I had a shop install the liners and do all the honing, etc. I used ARP studs and look forward to doing another head gasket job on it. I thought the nuts on the head studs may be loose, but a quick torque check on some on the offending head checked out with the recommended torque. Maybe I should just replace the heads? The shop said they checked for flatness, but the deck side of the heads were still not that clean when I picked them up after they did their work...

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
sounds like you need to have the heads machined flat.

i didn't have mine done when my headgasket blew. but I never overheated the engine. 10K miles after the headgasket replacement, I haven't had any issues. I used new torque to yield headbolts as well. So far my only issue is a ticking coming from the exhaust somewhere around the catalytic converter. The should be solved today at the exhaust shop when those pesky clogged things are removed.

da10A

Adventurer
Exactly. Dont let anyone tell you your heads dont need to be machined, no matter what type headgaskets you use.

Sent from my C6616 using Tapatalk

PhD_Polymath

Observer
Red flag on shop.

I use 3M Roloc Bristle Disc to clean surfaces. Yellow and White for Al heads.

Clean then measure.

I was not particularly happy to have dirty gasket surfaces on the heads after paying about $2000 for machine work. You could clearly see the combustion chamber charcoal rings on the heads when I picked them up. I plan to use another machine shop when I pull the heads soon and tell them to skim the heads clean regardless of how flat they state they are. I have never overheated the truck under my care, but could still see the heads being warped by a previous owner. Also, it is not possible to clearly establish the flatness of something as precision as a cylinder head gasket surface when the gasket surface is dirty. there must have been at least a few thousandths of an inch of soot remaining.

Mr Watson

I just did a top hat on my engine. I ordered the sleeves from turner in England (they hold a Patton on the stock sleeves), they ran about 650 US dollars and then had a local machine shop place them for 1500 in the block. Put all back together and is running fine. It is a 2003 disco.

PhD_Polymath

Observer
I just did a top hat on my engine. I ordered the sleeves from turner in England (they hold a Patton on the stock sleeves), they ran about 650 US dollars and then had a local machine shop place them for 1500 in the block. Put all back together and is running fine. It is a 2003 disco.

Thanks for the tip. I also ordered the Darton sleeves from Turner in England (the ones with both the flange at the top and the o-ring seal near the bottom). A local machine shop installed them and I ended up with an $1800 machining bill. 2000 miles later and I already see coolant leaking from the driver's side head gasket. I had to take a break from messing with the truck as I had become so frustrated. Now I am ready to tear down the block again and pay another shop to mill the heads flat.

PhD_Polymath

Observer
D2 Engine Rebuild Part 2

Once again, it has been quite awhile since I have updated about my project of getting a stock D2 sorted. I rebuilt the engine for a second time, using a different machine shop. I had the heads milled flat and a valve job done. The block deck was milled flat this time (the last shop just used a sanding block and it was not flat). I put in a Crower '229 cam and new lifters from D&D Machining in. I rebuild the rocker arms and rails. All new bearings and gaskets. So on and so forth. This time, the truck is running great with no issues. I have logged a little over 500 miles in the 3 weeks since I finished it. I guess this is where the thread should have actually began. At this point, I have the most money sunk into a stock D2 of anyone I know. What would it hurt to keep throwing money at it for improvements?:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier