2 questions on elecrical setup for a teardrop

lesabret

Hi,
Brand new member here.
I'm ordering a new teardrop and am trying to set up in my mind the layout for the electrical items in the tongue box (diamond plate powdercoated).

I intend to use a Magnum Energy MMS1012-G which is a 1000W pure sine wave inverter/charger with 20A transfer capability and 50A 4-stage PFC charger. The AC output is a 15A GFCI duplex receptacle mounted on the face of the inverter.

Question #1: I was thinking it would be a good idea to have some surge protection between the bulkhead AC power connector and the inverter. I know there are ones available in the RV industry such as Progressive Industries's Smart Surge and Technology Research Surge Guard. These are cabled and set up to be plugged into the outside shore power box. Are there better alternatives that would be hard wired into my system between the AC inlet and the Inverter? When I ask about better, I only mean from a more robust electrical protection due to engineering design of the module, rather than ease of mounting or looks etc.

Question #2: The inverter users/installation guide says it has AC output overcurrent protection internally, but says to provide AC overload protection between the inverter output and branch AC circuit(s). Short of adding a bulky metal 1 or 2 position circuit breaker box with a regular residential house type of breaker, are there any recommendations from you folks on a good type of AC circuit protection to insert at this location in the system?

Any and all guidance is much appreciated in advance.

Dave

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The magnum is a good choice for a teardrop as long as you don't expect to power a larger microwave or tea kettle.

I wouldn't bother with any additional overcurrent protection for the load circuits - just put in good quality 15 amp outlets. When you are plugged in you'll already have a 15 or 20 amp breaker so no additional one is required. When operating as an inverter its limited to 1000 watts so there isn't really a need for breakers there either. The built-in overcurrent protection of the inverter will shut it off faster than a breaker could trip anyways. The wording in the manual is normal wording included in nearly all UL listed inverters to cover liability concerns.

lesabret

thanks for the reply.

I know the "shore" power I'd plug into ought to be adequately protected and I have no concerns when the trailer is in my garage and connected to my home wiring circuit protection. My thought was that I don't know with 100% certainty whether a particular campground or wherever I might venture does a good job of keeping their equipment up to code and maintained. So as the only system I have any control over is that inside my trailer, I was considering some form of downstream AC branch circuit overload protection.
Over thinking and overkill probably but it has been on my mind as I try and lay this project out.
Thanks again for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles