Lets see cargo area storage mods

Maxcustody

Explorer
Yeah I talked to Mario and Main Line in Asheville as well........ I have been researching different systems. I actually PM'd you about your homemade setup you said you weren't happy with. I think AT stuff is top of the line and should last forever....

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
Finally got my ARB Drawers installed. The installation was somewhat of a b!%tch. Previously, I had installed a Tuffy security deck, however it sits pretty high and wasted a lot of space. No way to fit the planned fridge.
IMG_2705.jpg
So far I'm satisfied with the ARB drawers. Even with the hard install the fit and finish is good and the drawers are much more lightweight than would have been able to build.
IMG_0903.jpgIMG_0905.jpgIMG_0904.jpgIMG_0908.jpgIMG_0909.jpg

calledtocreation

Adventurer
I bought the ARB slide from "Enzo" here and finally mounted it. It is nowhere close to some of the outstanding craftsmanship I have been seen done on your vehicles...... I have been going back and forth on what I was going to do. For now I cut a piece of oak and mounted the slide to it. I used turn buckles to secure it on all 4 corners. It works great.

However, I am going to pull the trigger on the AT Stage 1 setup with the fridge slide and stove.......ARB slide will be for sale.

DSCN0152.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0155.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

Is the slide for sale?

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Disclaimer: I enjoy checking out the posts in this thread...for the DIY homebuilt solutions.

My observations:

* I'm not surprised that people don't try to DIY it but I do wonder how people can justify spending $600-$900+ for a drawer and/or a slide out. I sure as heck would give DIY a try before breaking the bank on a drawer and slides made by a company.

* I like the idea of a drawer/drawers unit but they take up a lot of space for the usable inside and they're not lightweight...usually.

* Still something to be said for using plastic containers and tote boxes. Lightweight, cheap, ultimate in flexibility, durable, removable and can be tied down. What's not to like.

* I do like the storage platforms and shelves. I'm thinking about DIY-ing one of those.

But I do like seeing what y'all are spending your cash on.

roggom

XJ Harbor Freight rear rack

Hi all, Im new to the forum and excited to start getting out and about. I have a rather stock 99 XJ and have been slowly adding gear to get me further and further out in the mountains and plains. Right now its for hunting, fishing and camping, will get into exploring as I add capabilities to my vehicle.

I am a big DIY'r and try be practical when buying or making gear. There are some things that I do buy and try to buy the best (i/e) cold weather gear, optics, safety and survival, but some items made for convenience can be met with some sticker shock.

Anyway for those in the US are familiar with Harbor Freight, cheap import one-time or longer use tools, but some of the other items can be mod'd into useful gear.

They sell a steel 500lb hitch carrier #69623, they go on sale for 39.99 very often so I spec'd it out to fit as a rear cargo rack.

The only other items were a 1" 6 foot length angle iron, 1" flat stock, some 1/4" eye bolts and 1/4" hardware.

The rack comes with two support bars that can be made into legs.

Instead of buttin the two halves together, I put them side-by-side. Tie wraps just to get the halves in place.
IMG_1948_zps5d041aea.jpg

I measured, cut and welded the angle iron to 5 7/8"of flat stock. The length came out to 52 1/8" (yours may vary)and is supported at the rear seat catch screws. Of course the flat bar had to be ground to fit around the catch. Yeah I know not the best weld beads, but this is practice for me. I just got my mig last month. The length of the flat stock allows the rear seat to lock in place and also clears the spare tire.

IMG_1950_zps616ccbf5.jpg

IMG_1954_zps6707d92c.jpg

The last part is to cut fab the legs to fit. They are small 1" u channel, if you cut down 1" in the center and fold down, it will make two ears that can be bolted through.

IMG_1956_zpsdd09a7d4.jpg

I fab'd up a rack system to hold accessories. It can hold a shovel, axe, rifle, fishing rod. Of course I will secure the items down as I dont want stuff flying through the windows. The area below can accommodate 12 1/2" high bins, the top has 21" of headroom. Each tray is approx 18" wide and 25" deep.

DSC07341_zps26222c2a.jpg

IMG_1982_zpse39079ee.jpg

Yeah Yeah, I would never transport a loaded rifle. It will be soft cased and bolt removed, just a fit test.
IMG_1976_zpse0ed9874.jpg

Total cost was less than $50 and it can be removed as needed. As I am posting this, I have an idea to make it removable much quicker. I have the rack attached to the angle iron with (4) bolt and nuts, I will replace the nuts with (4) wing nuts and the whole thing can easily come out (if I need to move some large gear). The rack only weighs around 20lbs.

I dont plan to put heavy items on top, but I also have an osha cage that I will probable fit to this rack in the future. We will see.

Last edited:

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
Ancra track

Added Ancra tie down tracks to my ARB roller. Right now my after surf shower is occupying the spot that will eventually house an ARB fridge. Uncertain whether the 37 or 50 is the right call. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 94

HAFICON

Adventurer
Nothing to brag about but since you asked..

Twin 2.5 gallon tanks mounted with an Attached Lid Container
IMG_4571.jpg
Container holds all my off road junk nicely secured down and lid latches and locks for safe storage.
IMG_4572.jpg

My plan down the road is to cut a hold in the flood of the storage area and build a box to drop down into it then my compressor and tanks will together and still out of the elements.

Something like this
image-2012632584.jpg

mmmm gas

Since I have a TJ I have no choice but to be a minimalist. But so far its working out and i'm able to carry everything I need with a little room left over.
eprack.jpg

aajeeptailgaste.jpg

epbridge.jpg

Attachments

• epgas.jpg
    epgas.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 98

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior