Suburban gearing question

rayra

Expedition Leader
mchambers I don't think you mentioned whether you had the towing feature on your shifter, that's a relatively sure sign that you are so equipped -

Should look like on of these, not sure if / when the design changed with the other 2000-2002 / 2003-2006 changes -

'02 Sub

towmode02suburban_zps14e9cf43.jpg

'05 Tahoe

towmode05tahoe_zpsddfaa85e.jpg

mchambers

Observer
Yes I have the tow/haul button on my shifter.
Wouldn't the trailer brakes make up the braking force for the trailer? Its not like the suburban is doing all the stopping by itself. Or is that a wrong way to look at it?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Generally speaking yes, but not something one should count on if most of the hauling is in the mountains. It's one of those assumptions that stacks up to a disaster when no one is looking. Towing right at your limit and counting on things like the trailer brakes working and on a big mountain downhill is two bets too many for me. I try not to stretch the envelope in more than one direction at once.

Most of those aviation disaster shows talk about the idea, there's a name for it that escapes me right now. Has to do with simple seemingly innocuous decisions all taken separately, each is a small risk or mistake. But when added altogether or in the wrong sequence add up to a huge disaster.

Towing's more than a simple numbers game. Can't be reduced to charts and labels. It's also an art / skill. Takes practice and diligence and good luck too. Especially if you do it a lot or keep making the same heavy bets.

I'm making too much of it. Trying to convey that there's a lot of intangibles. That 7-8k trailer is pretty much a max load for the 1/2ton Sub. Especially with everything / everybody loaded up for an ectended outing. You could probably get away with it many times. Maybe forever.

Last edited:

WILLD420

Observer
Look at it this way.

Nobody ever says, man, I shoulda got a 1/2 ton, this 3/4 ton is way too much for pulling this trailer.

Think about that for a minute.

Now, I understand the whole concept of wanting to stick with what you have. I'm the world's worst at jury rigging something to do a job, that was never designed with that job in mind. I've pulled 25K lb trailers behind 3/4 ton trucks and 20K lb trailers with 1/2 ton trucks. They did the job, but over time, the work destroyed good trucks and cost me a lot of money in wasted wear and tear that the right truck for the job would have handled just fine. Stopping was something that was a suggestion, not something that could be done on demand, and I drove alone, not with my family in the truck. That way, if something went wrong, hopefully it was only me that had to pay the price. Kinda like racing cars. When I street raced, I never allowed anyone to ride with me. Too much risk, for too little reward.

By the time you beef that 1/2 ton suburban up to do the job you want it to do, then white knuckle your trips waiting for something to break and hoping nothing goes wrong stranding your family on the side of the road, or worse; you could have bought the right rig for the job.

mchambers

Observer
I have the "F" braking letter for in my Vin.
I do have a lot of towing experience with goosenecks. I don't have much with bumper pulls. I have a 2003 GMC 4500 topkick and a 2006 F550 that pull a 34 foot trailer. These trucks love to pull and do a great job but lack the creature comforts to keep the family happy.
Going to my mechanic first of the year for new shocks and a look at the driveshaft, universals and rear end to make sure everything is up to speed. (Pun intended):smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94