Gear Head - know it all

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
I want your opinion on what gears your would run with my proposed set up.
You don't have to "know it all" or be a "gear head", I'm just curious what you would do.

vehicle: 2010 Silverado, 5.3 gas, auto 6 spd trans, 34" tires
6'5" bed, A.R.E. cap, steel bumpers and winch (outfitted; approx 1500 lbs in additional sprung weight)
use: road trips to off the beaten path, getting into dirt and mud within the limits of the size of the truck, seldom tow
end goal: decent gas mileage, decent off road capability (I realize there is a compromise)

Silverado trailhead.jpg

Info: I left out what gears I currently have now. I would like to hear what you would do knowing the info provided. If I left anything out let me know.

v_man

Explorer
I say minimum 4.10's ... if it was my truck I'd go even deeper and do 4.56 . The old adage says to always gear a little lower than you think you might need , that way if you want to bump up to an even bigger tire , you are prepared for that . What ever you go with , you only want to do gear installs once ...

That being said , additional info from you would be helpful . Is this your daily ? Do you have a long commute ? What is your top priority , MPG or power?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
4.56 to 4.88, because you're in PA. The 6.0, 5.3, and Fords 5.4 ain't afraid of RPM, let her eat.

The 6 speed auto transmission in our Chevys are crap because of our lamo rear ends. I drive around in manual mode 5th gear on the hwy. Cruise control is completely messed up in drive. Big rear end gears help a ton! You've got that overdrive 5th and 6th gear, so don't fear the gear. Gear her down and 6th gear actually works on the hwy, and hopefully the cruise control will be functional again as well.

You might not compromise mileage at all. We lost a hair unloaded, but improved while towing/hauling.

Last edited:

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
I hear ya.
This truck is only for getting out there. Its not a daily driver. the only commute is getting to where I'm going.
by the way. It came stock with 3.08's

jim65wagon

4.56 or 4.88. with 34" tires and the OD in the transmission you'll still wind up with a decent overall gear ratio for highways and have decent gears for offroadability by selecting 1,2, or 3 on the PRNDL

CodyY

Explorer
Having owned a similar setup: at least 4.10's. My truck was on 33's with 3.73's (stock) and when loaded it could use a little more. You're well into my weight when loaded for an enduro or hare-scramble race, but TX flatland is way different than PA hills.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I currently own a 06 f150 with 5.4 and 33 inch tall tires. I have 3.73 in the rear, and I like them but do want a little more I will probably move up just a 4.10. I do not plan on bigger tires. So I feel 4.10 will give me plenty.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
4.10 min for sure. But if it were me I wouldn't put a dime into a 10 bolt rear, assuming that's what you have. Call Randy's Ring and Pinion and talk to them about what gear to go with. I've had good luck in the past with them.

Be aware, you may need a different carrier too. Not sure what the cutoff is.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My suburban is on 33's, with 3.73s and it flys. I don't know what everyone is doing or wanting to do. I set the cruise at 80 mph with our camper or my haulmark and just go. :ylsmoke:

dar395

Adventurer
3.73s would be perfect, but I say keep the stockers, its it that bad with a V8?

Amen, Stock is Great! Keep your money, travel more & enjoy by not overkill. While you're taking the journey find friends with better equipment that'll let you ride along once in a while.

Coby65

Observer
Takes some math but here is a diagram/formula that may help

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.php

This^^^^^^^

Decide what your tire size you are going with first!
Know what the transfer case gear reduction ratio for low gear crawl ratio
Also need to know transmission 1st gear, 1.1 dear sometimes 3rd,4th, or 5th, and final OD ratio
Now the hard part.......decide what you want your hwy engine rpm at 70mph. Every engine is different at where you still get decent gas mileage but can run the higher rpm with lower gear.
Example. My f250 got better gas mileage at 75mph vs 65 mph because the rpm range was better suited to keeping a constant speed at 75mph so the engine did not have to down shift as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne