anything else I should add to the list?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I am about to order that timing belt kit and radiator cap, anything I should replace while I have everything out? Already planning to pull the radiator to flush it out and install the Taurus electric fan when it goes back in.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Taurus fan = bad idea. The mechanical fan pulls much higher amounts of air.

There are lots of parts you should probably do: hoses, cam seals, crank seal, tbelt tensioner, idler pulleys, crank sensor, water pump...

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Taurus fan = bad idea. The mechanical fan pulls much higher amounts of air.

There are lots of parts you should probably do: hoses, cam seals, crank seal, tbelt tensioner, idler pulleys, crank sensor, water pump...

Most of that comes in the kit. And I'm not too worried about the electric fan, been using them for years on other vehicles.

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
+1 on the Taurus fan not being great. My Montero came with it and while it did the job ok, my Spal I installed is SOOOO much better. The Taurus fan also blocks air from efficiently passing through while driving and the seal wasn't perfect. At least that is how it was in my car. Once I put the 16'' Spal in the fan turns on less and runs about half as long since it is pulling so much more air. If I am stopped and put my hand out the window down low you can feel the air from the fan.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
What is Spal? I looked it up. Here is an image.
SPAL_Fan__Brackets_1.jpg

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
+1 on the Taurus fan not being great. My Montero came with it and while it did the job ok, my Spal I installed is SOOOO much better. The Taurus fan also blocks air from efficiently passing through while driving and the seal wasn't perfect. At least that is how it was in my car. Once I put the 16'' Spal in the fan turns on less and runs about half as long since it is pulling so much more air. If I am stopped and put my hand out the window down low you can feel the air from the fan.

Sounds like whomever installed it was a hack, I can get to under 5% air loss on my setups. And please explain how a properly mounted fan shroud on the back of the radiator inhibits or blocks airflow?

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
I haven't had a lot of experience with Taurus fans but maybe you are right. Mine was a bit broken up in places and didn't fit perfectly and I have used Spals in the past and they have always worked flawlessly.

My spal pulls about 2000 CFM and a quick google search has people saying that the taurus fan pulls about 2500. I can guarantee that mine wasn't pulling half that, it barely held a paper in front of the grill and holding my hand behind it wasn't impressive either.

I wish it worked because I didn't want to spend money on a new fan.

BOPOH

Explorer

He is totally right, i've taken apart two engine by now and both had those things in bad shape. Timing belt kit is great, but i would suggest getting this gasket since it's the easiest thing to unscrew (3 bolts) to replace rear gasket behind water pump, which is not included in the kit.
getimage.php

New wire looming because old one will most likely fall apart. Be careful pulling spark plug wires from their guides, i broke one on top of valve cover.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
He is totally right, i've taken apart two engine by now and both had those things in bad shape. Timing belt kit is great, but i would suggest getting this gasket since it's the easiest thing to unscrew (3 bolts) to replace rear gasket behind water pump, which is not included in the kit.
getimage.php

New wire looming because old one will most likely fall apart. Be careful pulling spark plug wires from their guides, i broke one on top of valve cover.

Do you have a part number or better description of said gasket?

TheMole

Adventurer
Did some research and it looks like its a Fel-Pro part #35700 water outlet gasket/adapter to housing. OEM part number looks to be MD308724 as #9 in the diagram below.

F709027.gif

BOPOH

Explorer
TheMole is right. i got mine from rockauto FEL-PRO Part # 35700. there are couple more gaskets to consider for cooling system. one is behind water pump it's a small rubber o-ring about an inch in diameter can't find part number for it. The other o-ring is on #10 from above diagram, mine was included in timing belt kit, it's about 2" in diameter.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
TheMole is right. i got mine from rockauto FEL-PRO Part # 35700. there are couple more gaskets to consider for cooling system. one is behind water pump it's a small rubber o-ring about an inch in diameter can't find part number for it. The other o-ring is on #10 from above diagram, mine was included in timing belt kit, it's about 2" in diameter.

I'm really beginning to wonder if you know what you are talking about, because that 3 bolt gasket has nothing to do with the water pump, just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne