Steering overhaul needed on the dodge expo rig... Thoughts?

Texan1983

Adventurer
So I am pushing 230,000 miles on the old girl and the steering shows it. granted they haven't been easy miles, she is used as my adventure rig.

So with that, my steering has started to become very hard at slow speeds and making a noise under the dash that goes away when I slightly turn the wheel or touch the brakes. Think I have heard this is the pressure line from the pump to the steering box that has failed internally?

While I was digging around I have also notice the box is leaking and has a lot of play, it has wandered for awhile now, and I have the old style steering that is pretty worn out...

Thinking of ordering the following:

Redhead rebuilt steering box
high pressure line
08.5 upgrade steering linkage kit
new pitman arm
bilsien stabilizer

Any thoughts on these parts? This hose going to fix the noise?

Thanks!

chet6.7

Explorer
I think Ram has a newer,stronger,steering box. Have you looked at a Ram specific forum?
I have read pro and con on the Redhead box.

Seabass

Idiot
Hydra boost sounds weak. I had a second gen that did that. I guess Dodge kept the same basic operating system for your model? The box is probably done- red head sounds sweet to me. Oh- I really love your truck!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I have done a lot of the upgrades you are thinking about to Dodges in my career, you will like the improvement. The only other thing I would recommend that's not on your list is a steering box brace by BD Diesel or comparable manufacturer.

Texan1983

Adventurer
Already have the brace...

The EMF kit is out of my budget... For that i would buy the DOR kit and be done. but then i would have no money to go anywhere...

Also on the ram forums and Pirate 4x4 i have seen no one seems to happy with the borgsen hd boxes or the mopar one for the crazy price they ask.

I have seen nothing but good reviews on the Red Head box, espeacially for the price!

Thanks for the input and compliments!

chet6.7

Explorer
Sometimes a post just sticks in your head for some reason,"we put a Redhead steering box on Schulte's truck and the POS was trashed after 30k miles."
I have no idea if it is accurate or not.
I have seen the box from STRAPT mentioned,it appears that Mopar or Borgeson are the choices there.
http://www.straptperformance.com/category_s/1850.htm

Please post your results,I will probably be dealing with this in the future.

TwinStick

Explorer
Check out the ones Dodge Off-Road has. Lots of good info there as well. Not cheap, but it's done right & we are all gonna have to do it eventually.

Texan1983

Adventurer
yea, their kit is very nice. That is the kit I want, but budget wont allow it right now.

I do think ill switch to their steering box brace though, seems like a better design for anyone that gets their truck twisted up off road...

DT75FLH

Adventurer
So Genos' garage now carries a NEW, not rebuilt borgeson box. Its a Delphi 684 series power steering box adapted for the dodge platform with a oversize piston. Its pricey at $659. is that the one you have read is junk?

I bought a redhead for a 98 dodge. was under the impression that it was bored, etc but it was just a rebuild with bushngs, not there standard ball bearing design.

It did not feel like a large upgrade, and for the money, I would have prefered a new box. BUT I sold the truck shortly after installing it, so I have no long term results for performance.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Have you upgraded the steering linkage to the new style? I think that was a huge improvement in my 98.

Texan1983

Adventurer
Have you upgraded the steering linkage to the new style? I think that was a huge improvement in my 98.

That is that kit im buying...

still need a box though, think ill still try redhead. yes that borgeson box is what I heard was bad...

CatButt

Observer
I have a 2nd Gen and I am just starting starting to upgrade the front end. Of all the research I have done the DOR and Carli stuff seems to be the best. The DOR long arm kit has an insane amount of droop which for me is a real bonus as I want as little lift as I can get and have lots of articulation. I have dropped DOR an email (that is the only way to get a hold of him I think) and never heard back yet. I have a Redhead and only @10k miles on it...so far so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94