Need Help With Tires/Wheels Please

I've learned a lot from the forum after buying my Disco, so help me out with tires!

I have a 2003 Discovery SE, with the stock rims and 255/55 R18's on it. The current Falkens are pretty good in summer, but SUCK in the snow. I'm looking for options to replace them and I have found some Yokohama Ice Guards, and a Bridgestone Blizzak, as well as my mailman choice of Arctic Claws, all in the stock size.

If I decided to buy another set of rims to run ice/snow tires on, what are my options for changing to a more buyer friendly size of wheel/tire combination for dedicated winter use?

Thanks!

Ultima Thule

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dannyp

Hi,

I lived in Calgary, Canada. My second set of for winter tires are 235/60/18 on yokohama ice guard, been happy with that
IMO narrower width would be a bit better when going thru on snow
Good choice on getting a second set, those 18's are getting more affordable these days ...
Hope that helps

Danny

It does. I agree the narrower tire helps in snow, I just haven't had luck at learning what size to use on the Disco. Also found a deal on a set of Geolanders if I want to go the non-snow tire route.

Outback

Explorer
Bridgestone Blizzak

I love them. Had them on my 2 wheel drive Geo Metro and could go places a 4x4 couldn't go. In fact I even had to yank him out when he was stuck (barely). So yes the Blizzaks work very well! I had the set of Good Years as well and they too worked very well. Any of the modern high end tire companies make great snow tires. Tall and skinny is the way to go. Remember if you need studs then have them installed BEFORE you drive them. I believe the Blizzaks were studless. But if you get a set that can be studded they cant stud them after you drive them on the road. If you go with studs try and fine a set with the studs down the center of the tire as well. This helps with steering. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

What tire sizes will fit my Disco? 255/55 R18 on it now, and my tire guy isn't really helpful, very small town. Looking for tall and narrow, but is there a chart somewhere that will help me determine fit?

ArmyRover

Adventurer
I just put 265/65/18 on my DII and I can tell you that is all you can stuff under it with no rubbing without a lift.

brushogger

Explorer
When I had my D2, I got a set of the 16" LR steelies and bought a set of 235/85r wrangler authority tires. The difference in snow was unbelievable! I did buy a 2" spacer lift from a guy on DWEB. That way I kept the stock ride and had no rubbing at all. It was by far the best mod I did to that truck.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
When I had my D2, I got a set of the 16" LR steelies and bought a set of 235/85r wrangler authority tires. The difference in snow was unbelievable! I did buy a 2" spacer lift from a guy on DWEB. That way I kept the stock ride and had no rubbing at all. It was by far the best mod I did to that truck.

I have the Authorities as well. They are turning out to be awesome tires.

jckstein

Observer
I just got a set of 255/65R18 Nokian Hakkapellitta R2's and I'm super stoked with them. The overall diameter is a bit bigger than stock, so you get a slightly more aggressive stance, but they're still narrow enough cut through snow and ice. Load rating and all that good stuff is perfect for the LR3. I would definitely recommend these.

Heres a pic
tumblr_ngj4hx8dqc1tmi56jo1_1280.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne