2008 Jeep Wrangler JK8 Build/Adventure Thread

Yosh_Lopez

Observer
Haha yeah forgive me now please lol. I was thinking about the aev corners. You are second person to say something about that. I have a guy here close by with a gobi I am gonna look at on corners. He has had it for about 2 yrs. I am excited. Now I am gonna need some sort of rtt but I think that is months away after. Will be fun though to load kayak and canoe and go. Merry Christmas to everyone that is about to read this. Hopefully brown Santa brings you a bunch of exciting items tomorrow!!!

The AEV corners are a nice addition. However, it can be a bit unnerving to drill multiple holes in the rear quarter panels of your jeep....I must have quadruple checked my measurements before drilling the first hole. But the results are more than worth it in the end.

I will use the rack to transport my paddle board....works like a charm and its pretty darn easy to just throw it up there and go.

From what I have heard, Gobi now ships their racks with support pads that attach where the mounts make contact with the body to reinforce the area.

Merry Christmas to you!

Last edited:

Yosh_Lopez

Observer
Man, love the jeep! I actually passed you on RT30 (you were headed north) around thanksgiving. I was definitely turning around in my seat lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words, man! I was in the area on Thanksgiving going to my GF's family's house for dinner. I remembered it had started to flurry on the way up there....it was pretty awesome to have a white Thanksgiving!

KLT88YJ

Observer
Thanks for the kind words, man! I was in the area on Thanksgiving going to my GF's family's house for dinner. I remembered it had started to flurry on the way up there....it was pretty awesome to have a white Thanksgiving!

Yes, it absolutely was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yosh_Lopez

Observer
Rear Cargo Area

For additional secure storage for tools and recovery gear, I installed the Tuffy security box in the rear cargo area of the Jeep.

To maximize space, I consolidated the tools and recovery gear into two North Face Base Camp duffel bags. The yellow one contains the recovery gear and the red one holds the tools. In addition to the two duffel bags are my compressor, first aid kit, e-tool, and hi-lift jack base. There is still enough room leftover in the box for my 3 day pack and and an additional duffel.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
DudeI absolutely love your build! I am going incredibly slow with my '13 JKU. I dont want to do what I did with my 99 TJ. Modify then redo the modify because of a different direction. 5 stars on your Jeep!

Yosh_Lopez

Observer
DudeI absolutely love your build! I am going incredibly slow with my '13 JKU. I dont want to do what I did with my 99 TJ. Modify then redo the modify because of a different direction. 5 stars on your Jeep!

Thanks for the good words, inkpen00.

I found myself doing this at the beginning of my build....starting with the leveling kit, then swapping out for a suspension kit to cope with the weight of bumpers, winch, and kit. However, being that this was my first Jeep, it was an awesome learning experience in regards to knowing how to work on and troubleshoot the vehicle. My neighbors thought I was crazy...I had my Jeep apart and on jack stands multiple times over several weekends in the that first year of ownership.

Merry New Years to you!

Yosh_Lopez

Observer
thank you for the cargo pics. looking good

delivered by winged monkeys

Merry New Year's to you, Matt!

So far, the way the cargo area is set up is working for me. The Tuffy box provides some covered/secure storage for the tools and recovery gear. If I need additional enclosed storage space, I have an extra large Action Packer that fits behind the Tuffy box that fits any extra gear/packs that need to be protected from inclement weather.

Last edited:

Yosh_Lopez

Observer
Merry New Years!

Just wanted to wish the Expedition Portal community a Merry and Safe New Years!

Cheers! Toasting in the New Year's with an exceptional Saison courtesy of Oxbow Brewing Company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94