Aux light setup.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I have 2 Hella 4000 Euro Beams and 2 Hella 4000 floods. If I were to mount them on my roof rack, which would work better inboard and outboard? I may get a couple 4000 spots too. I'd probably put those either in the center of the rack or on the bumper. If I get the spots, should I put the euro's on the bumper?

What say you?

Dave

TJVach

Observer
I would mount the Hella 4000 floods on the outside of the rack pointed outwards a bit, and the spotties on the inside. This would allow you good side coverage with the floods and also the spotties would reach out farther because they are higher up. Not to mention would cut down on hood glare. The Euro Beams would probably be best on the front bumper because of there "fogish" light output. That's my opinion.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Thanks. I haven't powered any of the lights up yet to see what kind of beam I get. I was also considering putting the Euro lights on the bumper because they have a lower wattage bulb in addition to the big bulb and I guess you could use them as driving lights with the lower wattage bulb on.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I hate lights on the roof - they look so bubba, and the reflections off the hood and your ARB won't be easier on the eyes. ANd the 4000s are big - lots of wind resistance. I have two 4000 driving lights and a center pencil beam. Tis really lights up the night - more is probably overkill.

2543IMG_0681.JPG

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Mike S said:
I hate lights on the roof - they look so bubba, and the reflections off the hood and your ARB won't be easier on the eyes. ANd the 4000s are big - lots of wind resistance. I have two 4000 driving lights and a center pencil beam. Tis really lights up the night - more is probably overkill.

2543IMG_0681.JPG

Is the driving light what is also referred to as a Euro light?

I was thinking of running all 4 on the bar 2 high and 2 low. My bar will get an 8274 winch eventually, so the 3 light set up won't work for me.

Do you get any overheating or lack of A/C efficiency?

hochung

Adventurer
Mike S said:

2543IMG_0681.JPG

i am the total opposite. i like the lights up there. :)

texascanyon%20065.jpg

TJVach

Observer
MoGas said:
Is the driving light what is also referred to as a Euro light?

I'm pretty sure that the Euro Light and Driving Beam are the same. I believe don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that the only difference is that the Euro Beam is SAE Certified.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
There is a slight difference between a Euro Beam and a Driving Light. Eurobeam is just a bit more of a broad pattern, but hardly distinguishable.

DBS311

Adventurer
MoGas said:
Thanks. I haven't powered any of the lights up yet to see what kind of beam I get. I was also considering putting the Euro lights on the bumper because they have a lower wattage bulb in addition to the big bulb and I guess you could use them as driving lights with the lower wattage bulb on.

I have 2 Hella 4000 pencil beams and 2 Hella 4000 Euro beams on my roof rack. The pencil beams are in the middle and the euro beams are on the outside. I love them set up like this and I have no hood glare. I don't know why some people feel that roof lights will blind you without a hood blackout. I wouldn't put the Euros on the bumper and expect to run them as driving lights. They are WAY bright and you would blind the oncoming traffic.

What is this "lower wattage bulb in addition to the big bulb" that you talk about? All my 4000's run H1 bulbs that are either "on" or "off".

DBS311

Adventurer
MoGas said:
Do you get any overheating or lack of A/C efficiency?

I have 2 Hella 4000's on my ARB bumper as well and haven't had any issues with cooling. AC is also performing as well as it did before the lights. My setup is on an FJ62, so I have a little more "air flow room" when compared to an 80.

madizell

Explorer
Experiment with the arrangements. I find that it is helpful sometimes to cross beams to give a greater angle of divergence to the lights. For example, you can mount the driving lights outboard rather than side by side, and get a better down range beam spread, and mount the fogs side by side inboard with each light aimed to the side. You get about the same coverage with the fogs, but better use of the drivers.

Take your rig out on a dark night along with some hand tools and try different arrangements.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
After speaking with Hltoppr yesterday, I did some thinking. 1:I am not racing my truck to where I NEED many lights. 2: They are mileage killers on the roof rack. 3: They are more easily damaged on a roof rack, and Hltoppr needs a couple lights..........;) .

I think that the Euros are going to go on the ARB and I will put one flood on the back of the rack and another on the back of my trailer. Andy convinced me that once I convert the Euros to HID that it will be a few candlepower shy of "Bolting the sun to your front bumper". I dunno.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:Astrologist: --Sorry guys, I don't think too much of all that Battery loading, Baja racing, overhead light-craze--

--I just use one 500K candlepower, 66 watt, remote controlled spotlight, on top and I can still get into the garage--

--STRICTLY PERSONAL--

--:gunt: --JIMBO

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I have 2 Euro Beam 4000's, and 2 Pencil Beam 4000's on my roof rack. The Euros are on the outside and the pencils are on the middle.

The "Euro" beam lights are different than the US sold "driving" light in the respect that the Euro lights have a small 5 watt bulb IN ADDITION to the larger normal bulb. Over here in Europe, you can ride around, day or night with the small bulbs on, it has more to do with city driving and saftey than anything, but all of the big rigs here in Germany run the 4000's up high on the roof racks and it looks cool with the low watt bulbs glowing in the night.

I have converted all of my auxillary lights to HID, (4) Hella 4000's on the roof rack (no glare at all), and two Hella 700FF driving lights on my bumper. This is the BEST thing I have done to my lighting system by far.

Here is the small 5 watt "euro" light only, lit up. (look closely at the outer two, you can see the dim glow)

SS100222.jpg

Here is the entire rack lit up, after switching to HID. This is broad daylight around noon.

SS100223.jpg

Here are some pics showing the night effect, before aiming.

Normal headlights, taken from inside the truck:

SS100237.jpg

Truck High Beams, and all 4 Hella 4000s on, from inside truck.

SS100230.jpg

And the last two that I took yesterday showing the 700FF's on the bumper also.

DSCN0102.jpg

DSCN0101.jpg

If I had to change anything, I would have gotten (4) Euro Beam patterns for the roof rack instead of the pencil beam/Euro beam. The Pencil beams are just too powerful and narrow for anything I do. They project well over a mile in a straight line, but there arent many straight roads/runs where I live. I really like the side light that the Euros put out also.

Whatever you decide to do, I highly recommend the HID conversions.

~James

madizell

Explorer
I agree about the pencil beams. Unless you are landing in the dark from 800 feet up, pencils don't add much value, especially off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles