1994 Fzj80 Expedition Build

sslanina

Observer
Prinsu Roof Rack

My Prinsu Roof Rack came in, and the install was very straight forward. My Passenger Front door was hitting on the bolt head when I opened the door so I had to grind down one of the rain gutter clamps. I think it looks awesome, cant wait to throw a RTT up there!
IMG_1193.jpgIMG_1196.jpgIMG_1198.jpg

sslanina

Observer
Overland Expo 2015

Loaded up and headed out for the expo over the weekend. I was in the market for a used RTT. Unfortunately I didn't find any great deals on rtt's at the expo. Sierra Expeditions was offering 5% off, and there weren't many used/expo models available in the price range ($1000-1500) I was looking in. Being that this is my first RTT I didnt want to drop $3k on a new James Baroud tent. I found this Tepui Autana Sky model for sale on one of the campers rigs. Luckily I caught him just as he was leaving and got the tent for a fair price. FullSizeRender[1].jpgFullSizeRender.jpgIMG_1292.JPG

Townsend

Observer
Looks awesome man! Tent envy....I'm looking for a new ground tent and keep considering just biting the bullet and getting an RTT instead...deals are hard to come by though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sslanina

Observer
Looks awesome man! Tent envy....I'm looking for a new ground tent and keep considering just biting the bullet and getting an RTT instead...deals are hard to come by though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, its extremely comfortable. I have seen a few on Craigslist but was too slow to jump on them. Might need some rock sliders to use as step stools to set it up tho.

Box Rocket

My Prinsu Roof Rack came in, and the install was very straight forward. My Passenger Front door was hitting on the bolt head when I opened the door so I had to grind down one of the rain gutter clamps. I think it looks awesome, cant wait to throw a RTT up there!
View attachment 282074View attachment 282075View attachment 282076

The rack looks fantastic! It's good seeing a few others besides my own now showing up out there. I like the tent too. The Autana Sky is a great tent.

sslanina

Observer
The rack looks fantastic! It's good seeing a few others besides my own now showing up out there. I like the tent too. The Autana Sky is a great tent.

Thanks, If it wasn't for your truck I would have gone in a different direction. Its worked out great so far!

sslanina

Observer
LabRak

Sorry for not keeping up with this Forum. I've been busy using my truck ;-) I'm always driving around either hunting, camping, backpacking or mountain climbing so I keep a lot of gear with me at all times. I like keeping cooking gear, water, tools, and blankets in my truck and origination is important. My most recent addition has been a rear storage rack from Shane over at LabRak. I installed it last week and so far I'm very happy with it. The install was straight forward, very simple. Removed the handles and associated hardware. The Rack came with black anodized machine screws, washers and spacers that attach to the nut inserts. My main concerts were blocking visibility, too much weight on the nut inserts, and noise. Visibility has reduced from the rear view mirror obviously, but I can still see about 40 feet behind me. When I turn my head I can see out just fine, so no problems in parking lots. But I might add some blind spot mirrors just for added visibility. The weight doesn't seem to be an issue, after all those nuts are designed to hold a person pulling on them. I have been using the space for blankets, towels and wet laundry actually (good airflow and dries quickly). There is absolutely no noise. I've done my far share of machine work and metal fabrication, and there is something to be said for spending a little money and having someone else do it for you the right way. I had my order in less than a week. This is opening day of dove season in AZ. Had a blast!
FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_1618.jpg1.jpg

sslanina

Observer
Weekend Trip

Had a fun weekend driving around AZ. Here are some pics of the camping trip. Truck performed flawlessly and even with a busy Labor Day crowd we still managed to get away from people and camp in remote areas...that's the beauty of a capable truck.
On the way up to Payson the traffic was pretty bad, and added another 30-40 minutes to the drive. I wasn't aware of how popular this little tourist town was.
4.jpg
Camping on Chevelon lake, the main entrance to the lake was extremely crowded, but after an hour of driving forest roads we were able to find a perfect spot overlooking the lake. This lake does not allow live bait, including power baits. I believe its only fly's and lures. There is only trout in the lake and the fishing is suppose to be excellent, unfortunately i wasn't having much luck. I'm sure I'll be back to try it again, hopefully with an inflatable raft to get out on the water.
1.jpg
After a short 1/4 mile hike down to the lake we were rewarded with an awesome views.
2.jpg
This is becoming a fairly familiar sight in this truck. I see a rear bumper with gas cans in the future.
3.jpg
After Chevelon we headed to east clear creek, outside Winslow. The water was perfect for cliff jumping and swimming.
IMG_1658.JPG
Just outside flagstaff we stopped in unit 6B to do some scouting for my elk hunt next week and could hear elk calling all night! I think I found a good spot:elkgrin:

Attachments

• Weekend.JPG
    Weekend.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Box Rocket

Very cool. How does your wife like the tent? The RTT was a total game changer for my wife. She loves going camping with me now.

sslanina

Observer
Oh absolutely. It has totally changed our view on camping. I still enjoy roughing it on hunting and backpacking trips, but when the gf wants to come its steaks, cold drinks, and RTT time! I'm curious, what camera are you using, your photos are fantastic! Good job.

Box Rocket

I shoot with a Canon 70D. It's not the most high-end but it's a great camera and the HD video mode is really nice too. Lenses are a big part of getting the right "look" in the photos though.

sslanina

Observer
4plus products Bumper

4Plus Products makes pretty awesome bumpers, I picked this one up from Dave over in Miami, Az a few weeks ago. This was only his second 80's rear bumper build and it went on pretty smoothly. Its a nice tight fit, with integrated LED flood lights and dual swingouts. The only flaw I have found is that the gas can swing arm will damage the truck body if opened too far. There is a steel tie down tab on the gas can holder and it would easily tear into some sheet metal. I just put a McMaster Carr bumpstop on the lower portion of the arm to stop the contact. You can see the rubber bumpstop engage on the lower center picture.

IMG_1996.jpgFullSizeRender[1].jpg
FullSizeRender[2].jpgIMG_1997.jpgIMG_1936.jpg

Last edited:

sslanina

Observer
Rear Power

I wanted to use the flood lights in the rear bumper as camping lights, so i ran power to the back right panel in my truck, and added some accessories. I used a switch and relay to wire up the LED's in the bumper. I then ran a 12v usb and Aux plug to run my water pump. I also added overhead LED strips to give me some light in the dark, I installed a dimmer switch to adjust the intensity.

IMG_1986.jpgIMG_1987.jpg
IMG_1965.jpgIMG_1991.jpg
IMG_2023.JPGIMG_1990.jpg

Last edited:

theREDwonder

Observer
Damn Skippy! She's a beaut!! Well done my boy, can't wait to see how "over"landed this thing gets!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94