1994 Fzj80 Expedition Build

sslanina

Observer
I've never had a build thread, so i figured I should give it a try. Picked up this truck in November 2014. Goal is to build a capable, reliable rig to drive from Tucson, Az north to the Arctic circle and explore the northern territories and into Alaska.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 148
  • front truck.jpg
    front truck.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 137

sslanina

Observer
Initial Mods

Mods this week:
2.5" OME lift Heavy/Medium springs
Installed caster correction bushings
Front axle rebuild (seals, races, bearings, etc.)
New front brake pads and rotors
Air filter OEM
Fuel filter OEM
285/75R-16 MTR tires on order. Should arrive next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    415.2 KB · Views: 124

krazytoy

Adventurer
Nice choice, I had a 94'.
Good luck on the build, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
I'm originally from Tucson, miss the desert... In the winter...

sslanina

Observer
Thanks, nice truck. Know of any Landcruiser mechanics in Tucson? Don't have any issues now, but it would be nice to know.

Little_bear

Thanks, nice truck. Know of any Landcruiser mechanics in Tucson? Don't have any issues now, but it would be nice to know.

I don't have a Landcruiser but I take my 4runner to Nippon motors on Speedway. They actually know what they're doing when working on older Yota's.

sslanina

Observer
More Progress

Finally got around to mounting up the new tires, and alignment of the truck. The 33" mud tires balanced nicely. However my caster was at 2.3 deg on the driver side and 1.2 deg on the pass side. I 'll drive the truck for a week or so and see if i can live with it. I found some caster sleeves races that are offset and will add a few degrees of caster. I might give these a try:

http:// http://www.spcalignment.com/component/spc/?task=part_description&pid=88915&region=USA&make=Toyota&model=Land%20Cruiser&year=1990%20-%201997&from=USAFrom&to=USATo

Also gave her an oil change and new fluid in the rear diff.

IMG_0930.JPGIMG_0929.JPG

sslanina

Observer
AZ pin striping

Took the cruiser off-roading while hunting over the weekend and a got a few branch marks on the body. Nothing serious. Hopefully a little wax and buff will clean them up. But I'm really liking the handling and stance with the Wrangler MTR's. I also played with the lockers and they work great. Still have the "new truck syndrome" and hate to see any pinstripes so ill probably be taking my rock crawler on the tight trails next time. I believe my next project will be to fit some drawers in the back. Not sure if i want to make them or purchase them. If Anyone has some drawer systems for sale in the Phoenix or Tucson Area let me know!

Side Note: Anyone have these tires and what pressure are you running on roads for an even wear pattern?

Attachments

• IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 72

sslanina

Observer
Weekend Fun

Headed up to Flagstaff to go snowboarding with the gf and some buddies. Didn't get any pictures of playing in the snow but you will just have to believe me that i didn't get stuck . On the way back I drove through Sedona and did some 4x4 trails. A coworker gave me this book and its great! The first few trails we tried were all closed, I guess they are seasonal.
IMG_0974.JPG

HTML:
http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Adventures-Arizona-Hardcover-Edition/dp/1930193327

I also found time to remove the factory roof rack. Unfortunately the front two threaded inserts came out when I pulled the screws. So I just tapped a 5/16-18 hole and ran to ACE and got a button head screw. I had to grind the screw down a little but it threaded in nicely. I didn't even have too pre-drill for the correct tap bit. FullSizeRender.jpg

Also ordered a PHH replacement. I will be ordering some more parts shortly so I can do an overhaul on the cooling system. With summer temps in the +105 F I dont want to relay on 21 year old rubber.
IMG_0979.JPG

NM-Frontier

Explorer
First off, very clean Land Cruiser you have there, looks to me like you are headed down the right path for building/PMs. Sedona is awesome, what trails did you do? One of my favorite places to explore, Broken Arrow is a classic.

The PHH is a fun one, take your time and read up on some of the tricks on mud to and you'll be fine.

pmccumber

I always liked Bloody Basin on in to Camp Verde. Side shot over to Sheeps Crossing. The Power Line Road to Childs was a doozy. ''

I lived in AZ for 20+ years. Some of the best offroading I've ever done was in town. 7th Street and east and north of Beardsley. Some fantastic climbs, washes, ... Used to take my date out there with a bottle of wine and a blanket with the top off the FJ40 and listen to the Coyotes howl

sslanina

Observer
Ya, i'll definately be heading back up there soon to explore some more. I noticed your in Longmont. I'm an engineer here in Tucosn but we have an office up there, and I've been given the opportunity to move up if i want to. How do you like Longmont? I hear its relatively flat country

pmccumber

Denver, Longmont, Colorado Springs are all flat but very close are the peaks. So wooded mountains are 10 minutes away. Indian Peaks Wilderness is 20 miles. Rocky Mountain National Park is 25 miles. So in less time than it takes you to drive up Mt Lemmon you could be amongst 400 mountains over 12,000' (RMNP alone has 250). The range you see in the pictures I'll attach is the smallest of the 7 major ranges in Colorado and it still is huge. Just what we have in one of a dozen drives up to the peaks along mountain streams would be THE destination in Arizona. Think of Oak Creek, 7.25E23 people jammed to see naturally occurring running water. Those mountains right outside town have hundreds of natural lakes. Trivia: There are no naturally occurring lakes in AZ.

I love the desert but I also heard somebody say the best thing about Colorado is you're close to Utah. Moab is a 6.5 hour drive. The Sangre de Christos, the Elks, the San Juans, Wyoming. Plus and educated population and phenomenal schools here in Boulder county. My kids education has exceeded expectations by miles. I lived 20+ years in Arizona and love the place. Have a homing instinct for it. Go back a lot. The Sonoran desert is very very special. But my oh my Colorado has 750+ mountains over 13,000'. It is simply gorgeous. I pine all week to get out in my back yard.

All the things in my life I'd do over I have zero regrets about moving here and staying here.

Message me with where you work.

These were taken out the window with my phone. The first is still in Longmont city limits on the southwest end of town. Those are Indian Peaks. So yeah, it's flat. But I'll take that back yard with a livable, workable, sun shining, moderate climate over just about any place I have ever heard of. From my house to those foothills is 4.5 miles.
longmont.jpg

This is heading in to Boulder. I work in Boulder and it is about a 12 minute drive from where I live in the southwest end of Longmont to Boulder proper.
boulder.jpg

Last, here is a hike my daughter and I did in the beginning of October. Trailhead at Brainard Lake. 25 mile drive to the trailhead. 3.5 mile hike each way. We were home by noon. Chillin'.
10153031_10203762028944747_7209780750331623832_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz