Mercedes 914 LK LN2

Dream

Observer
Thank you guys!

Nick, yes, it's plenty of space in here. Approximately 610x225x220cm (LxWxH) inside. Just enough to build all components comfortable and still there will last enough space to live and move.

You have seen right, it's the exhaust below the frontbumper. I think I'll leave him on the same place. First I thought about to replace him somewhere more backwards... ...we'll see.

The rooftop also is mounted since two days. Now I have to finish the last jobs around the cabin such as the outer corner profiles, door and hatches, and the painting. Hope to have enough time to do the painting.
After there won't be any news during summer until end of summer. Then I'll attack a second time and hope to finish roughly all the most important things which are permitting the first ride.

Dream

Observer
First layer of the primer...

2016052722313300.jpg

2016052722304200.jpg

2016052722312600.jpg

2016052722312000.jpg

Tomorrow follows the second one. If all goes out smoothly sunday will be the first layer of color... ...and monday the finish...

Dream

Observer
First layer paint is applicated. The second and last one follows in a few hours.
Then finally the project will be on the level I planed before leaving it during summer.
Tomorrow I'll start to arrange my tools and materials meanwhile the paint dries enough to allow me to mount up door, hatches and windows. And after: Salamaleikum until end of Summer! :)

2016060115015000.jpg

2016060115020100.jpg

2016060115021100.jpg

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
It looks great, it must be a great moment to get it out into the sunshine for the first time!

What made you decide to build such a large box? Everyone has different priorities, and I have no idea about your situation, but I have lived comfortably with my wife and dog in a 5m long box. Yours seems to be about 7.5m?

Looking forward to seeing progress when you restart work after the summer.

Dream

Observer
Hey Nick, thank you! Indeed, it's a nice moment to take him out for the first time. There you start dreaming... :)

The size of the box is 620cm long, 230cm high and 235cm large. Total lenght of the vehicle is about 8m. The reason of a box of such size is because we (or maybe somebody else ;) ) will live in. Full time unlimited with maximum autonomy and comfort no mather where and when.
We do live mobile since 10 years, always some compromises somewhere. That's why it is going to be a little bit more luxury.
Actually the habitable surface is just 50cm more than we have at the moment. Those 50cm are making a unbelievable big difference in all interior components: a very comfortable living room, kitchen, bathroom and sleeping room. And there is still enough space left to move... ....to breathe.
It could be shorter but washing machine, wood stove and stove requires its place.

The following image was the inicial plan where I thought to put the motorbike in the back. The plan changed because we wanted to have a lot of living space in such a big vehicle. It was not accepted to have a "only emergency" bathroom at the entrance of the cabin.
Aufbau 620.jpg

The next plan was as follows (and finally is the choosen one).
Favorit 2.jpg

Meanwhile there was another very likely possibility- personally my preferred one. Drowned because of practical reasons...
Favorit Nr2 620.jpg

If I remind well your box is connected to the trucks cabin, right? Well this makes a positive difference when using this place as well while living inside. And finally you have as much place as we will have, or maybe even more.
But there are two bigger disadvantages I think. First there are remarkable losses in heat or cold, second one is that you must reach the motor and work on it from inside the cabin instead of just wipping over the whole cabin.
Those are two big reasons why I want to keep the box and the cabin separated.

Last edited:

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
If I remind well your box is connected to the trucks cabin, right? Well this makes a positive difference when using this place as well while living inside. And finally you have as much place as we will have, or maybe even more.
But there are two bigger disadvantages I think. First there are remarkable losses in heat or cold, second one is that you must reach the motor and work on it from inside the cabin instead of just wipping over the whole cabin.
Those are two big reasons why I want to keep the box and the cabin separated.

The cabin is not as big as I guessed, you're wheelbase must be shorter than I imagined.

Your are partly right and partly wrong with my truck. I actually think that if anything, this connection makes my box smaller. For sure the space feels bigger, but I cannot effectively use the space in front of the cab as it would block access. I have to have swing out tables to move out the way, and I cannot have any cabinets on the wall.

The cab does indeed lose a huge amount of heat in the winter. The effect should not be underestimated and whilst the heavy curtain does help, it is not an ideal solution. I visited the Earthroamer factory when in Colorado and I liked their solution of having large foam cushions to separate the cab from the box when required.

Our cab tilts like a normal truck. The only difference is that there are 8 large bolts accessed from inside which clamp the cab to the box with a couple of rubber seals to prevent leaks.

15697896773_cda61063bd_b.jpg

Dream

Observer
Ok, now I see...

As you said, the cabin-box connection isn't the best solution, but it gives you other nice features as shown on the photo.... ....when hot in summer you can open you entire wall! :) ;)

The wheelbase of the truck is 422 cm, so there is one longer wheelbase in this kind of Mercedes model. And it is only one dimension bigger than we actually have (360 cm), but the difference in the appearance is suprisingly!
I think that this is the smallest size to really live comfortable enough. Sure, we can practise it with a smaller one also (and we did), but here we won't have to accept a lot of compromises. Its consumption of 17l/100km is very reasonable for this size of vehicle. Maybe a handycap could be its size with which we maybe won't access to every spot we would like... ...but sure it want cross a lot of old centre villages... Bit once you pass a certain size you want reach spots even with a smaller one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior