Help me choose a truck for a pop-up camper

I decided a couple months ago that I was going to put my Tacoma up for sale and purchase a larger truck. I haven't sold the truck yet (Christmas season isn't the best time to sell apparently :( ) but I want to have a pretty good idea of which truck to get when the Tacoma is gone. I plan on putting a FWC on the back and would like to do something like this:
http://chobao.smugmug.com/photos/173756052_F7RQU-M.jpg
Not sure if I am going to go with the short bed or long bed yet. That couple extra feet of living space would be nice but not sure how it would effect the truck when on crappy roads.

I have a friend that owns a custom shop that said he can mount the bed and storage boxes for me I would just need to drop the truck off and we would work out a deal. Now what truck should I get. After reading some other forums I went from wanting diesel to gas then back to diesel. I plan on living out of this vehicle for a minimum of 6 months next year so this truck is going to be it for me. No house to go to, and a lot of long weekend trips when not at work. The only requirement for the truck is a crew cab so that when I meet back up with my wife is 2016 we can continue to use the truck with our dogs. Other than that I'm up in the air about which truck to choose from.

Year doesn't really matter as long as the truck will last. I read that for a couple years the RAM diesels had some certain setup that made them less reliable and worse MPG. My boss has a F250 with 180,000 miles and loves it and it has had 0 problems. The truck will be registered in WV so I wont have to worry about any emission requirements for the vehicle. The easier the engine is to work on the better IMO.

Also has anyone set up a pop-up to run their heater and stove off of the diesel tank like some of the larger campers do?

If this does go through I plan on doing a detailed build thread for those interested in the pop-up with construction boxes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
How much do you want to spend? Do you mind if it has emission equipment on it or will tolerate higher sulpher diesel? New ones have expensive electronics, complicated fuel systems, injectors that go out and cost a lot to replace.

I am bias and choose the reliable inline six 12 valve Cummins.

If I was to plan on only sticking with USA and Canada I would not mind having a new 14 or 15 Cummins with 6 speed manual or Aisen auto if I had the money to spend.

The truck you posted a picture of is a short bed, so living out of it for extended periods of time to me anyways would feel cramped, especially if you were some place cold or wet, not to mention it's a pop up. Also plus the wife and dog, equals more space, less important if you have a lap dog.

A lot depends on how you will use the truck and camper and what you are comfortable with.

How much do you want to spend? Do you mind if it has emission equipment on it or will tolerate higher sulpher diesel? New ones have expensive electronics, complicated fuel systems, injectors that go out and cost a lot to replace.

I am bias and choose the reliable inline six 12 valve Cummins.

If I was to plan on only sticking with USA and Canada I would not mind having a new 14 or 15 Cummins with 6 speed manual or Aisen auto if I had the money to spend.

The truck you posted a picture of is a short bed, so living out of it for extended periods of time to me anyways would feel cramped, especially if you were some place cold or wet, not to mention it's a pop up. Also plus the wife and dog, equals more space, less important if you have a lap dog.

A lot depends on how you will use the truck and camper and what you are comfortable with.

I would like to keep the truck under 30k if possible (I've noticed the older trucks can be purchased around 15-20 but they have a ton of miles, I would like to stay under 100k miles if possible). The truck will be registered in WV so I don't have to ever worry about emission equipment on the vehicle (one of the reasons I'm trying to get info on the older trucks and which ones would work best with the camper and reliability). This truck will mainly stay here in the USA with trips into Canada. I don't plan on taking it south and if I do it will be short trips nothing extended.

TheViking

Adventurer
Get a gasser it will be cheaper to fill and easier to find fuel for in remote areas. I have a 05 F250 w a 5.4 it's not a powerhouse but it gets the job done.

TheViking

Adventurer
I pull a 16 foot trailer w one zero turn and two walk behind mowers and a push mower the most . So not super heavy I probably pulled 8K to 10K at the most hauling scrap vehicles and metal. I have a Torq Shift trans and love it pulled a 20ft car hauler dead head to Pascagoula from Chattanooga and then loaded a car in Pascagoula and ran back to Chattanooga. Averaged 17 mpg that trip and rarely under 70 for the majority of the trip.

I'd have to go Diesel.

05/06/07 Duramax
03/04/05 Ram

But that's me
I had a guy offer me a trade for his 2007.5 duramax for my truck.

These are the specs he sent me
116k miles
6" Rough country Lift with drop down kit
18in ultra Motorsport goliath rims
325 fierce attitude tires (just rotated and aligned)
Color match front end
Kicker interior speakers
LED halo Headlights
High dollar 55W 8k HID headlights
LED third brake light
Lund smoked taillight lens
Custom tuned EFI live with dsp5 switch tuned with stock, economy, tow, +120, +150.
Fuel rail shims
EGR and DPF delete
Edge insight CTS gauges 5in.
Mbrp turboback exhaust with 7in tip
Linex bed liner
Mossy Oak floor mats
Linex Berliner
Access Tonneau cover.
Gets fantastic mileage! 19-23mpg all day.

Ugh... rough country.
And 325's?
And "HALO" lights.

....Bro
Thats what I was thinking. I had 325s on my truck for a bit. They where awful. I am still looking into lifts for the larger trucks. I want a suspension that I can maintain a little speed while on rough terrain, don't want to have to crawl down every dirt road.

CodyY

Explorer
Thats what I was thinking. I had 325s on my truck for a bit. They where awful. I am still looking into lifts for the larger trucks. I want a suspension that I can maintain a little speed while on rough terrain, don't want to have to crawl down every dirt road.
c86882ff0c68b233e5cc4c655bd10e32.jpg

Cognito.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier