My new 79 Series Dualcab

chmura

Adventurer
Great looking truck, Scott!

Question on the antenna. Why is the burly, thick fiberglass mast the predominant style Down Under? I know zip about your communications regulations or what wattage you guys are broadcasting at, but I figure you need all the radio power/range and antenna sensitivity you can get in the middle of nowhere, right?

Here in the U.S. it seems like the next repeater is always just around the corner and the most powerful multi-band mobile radios available in our market are 50watt straight off the shelf.

In Australia they use UHF CB radios that you do not need a license to use.

I believe the thick base is so you do not break the antenna on branches and things?

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
What a story you have! Sorry to hear about the first 79. But your new 79 is sure pretty! Love that color!

Yes very lucky to still be here. But moving onwards and upwards.

Great looking truck, Scott!

Question on the antenna. Why is the burly, thick fiberglass mast the predominant style Down Under? I know zip about your communications regulations or what wattage you guys are broadcasting at, but I figure you need all the radio power/range and antenna sensitivity you can get in the middle of nowhere, right?

Here in the U.S. it seems like the next repeater is always just around the corner and the most powerful multi-band mobile radios available in our market are 50watt straight off the shelf.

Our UHF's are legally only allowed to transmit 5watts. We can get around 20 - 25km range from this. Also animal strikes (kangaroos, eagles, emus) are common, and in the bush these aerials will deflect most tree branches or bend with them, in my rolled vehicle the same aerial survived and was still working.

http://uhfcb.com.au/Frequently-Asked-Questions.php

This is an amazing car.
I wish we could get TLC 70 in the US too. :(

Cheers mate, she is doing me well so far.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Our UHF's are legally only allowed to transmit 5watts. We can get around 20 - 25km range from this. Also animal strikes (kangaroos, eagles, emus) are common, and in the bush these aerials will deflect most tree branches or bend with them, in my rolled vehicle the same aerial survived and was still working.

http://uhfcb.com.au/Frequently-Asked-Questions.php

Great insights, and thanks for the link, Scott. Looking forward to seeing more of that truck of yours! :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94