My new 79 Series Dualcab

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Glad you're ok Scott! That's a messed up ute! It's another prime example of why one should drive a TLC over something like a Jeep JK or similar. I doubt the outcome would have been as good in a smaller rig.

Rumpig: Congrats on your new 79! You should ship me your 105!

Last edited:

Ooops

Observer
Really sorry to see what happened to your truck but thank goodness you're ok, for the most part that is :eek:
That looks like it was a close one and given how long you had to hang around before assistance came it doesn't bare thinking about.
Glad your still with us.

Now hurry up and get better so you can more of your great photos :26_7_2:

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Really sorry to see what happened to your truck but thank goodness you're ok, for the most part that is :eek:
That looks like it was a close one and given how long you had to hang around before assistance came it doesn't bare thinking about.
Glad your still with us.

Now hurry up and get better so you can more of your great photos :26_7_2:

Haha thanks

Matto

Observer
Ouch. Glad to hear you're basically OK, although that list of injuries isn't anything to sneeze at either. Cars can always be rebuilt, and it sounds like your insurance company is on your side, which is good.

Rest up - it always takes longer than you think to get over something like that. Don't rush it.

Again, glad to hear you came out of it OK.

Cheers,
Matt

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Ouch. Glad to hear you're basically OK, although that list of injuries isn't anything to sneeze at either. Cars can always be rebuilt, and it sounds like your insurance company is on your side, which is good.

Rest up - it always takes longer than you think to get over something like that. Don't rush it.

Again, glad to hear you came out of it OK.

Cheers,
Matt

Thanks Matt

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Well the insurance should pay out in full and I have decided that I am going to get the exact same vehicle as it basically saved my life in how it held up with the roll over. So stay tuned for Mach II of my new landcruiser.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You just got how you wanted it too! I guess the insurance should pay for the new truck to be equipped the same? A large pain in the butt to have to do it all again, but given the other options I think I'd be ok with doing it again. At least you can have a good think on if everything was working the way you wanted!

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
You just got how you wanted it too! I guess the insurance should pay for the new truck to be equipped the same? A large pain in the butt to have to do it all again, but given the other options I think I'd be ok with doing it again. At least you can have a good think on if everything was working the way you wanted!

I am still waiting on the insurance company to get back to me, also I am not sure if I can handle the same vehicle to be honest.

Matto

Observer
Now that a bit of time has passed, I've got a question for you. Playing "what-ifs", I know, but given that you've got really good (regrettable) experience with one side of the argument now, I'm keen to hear your thoughts.

Given the accident that you had, do you think:
a) the sheer strength of the old-skool cruiser helped in the situation, or
b) if you were driving a more modern design of truck, even if it was a lot lighter-duty (say, a Ranger dual cab just to pick something), the better driving dynamics and more advanced safety features of that vehicles (traction control, stability control, ABS, six-gazillion airbags) might have either prevented the accident entirely by recovering the vehicle as it swerved, or at the very least kept you safer inside the vehicle during the accident?

I mean no disrespect - more am curious about what your experience was.

Years ago, when motorcycle ABS units first appeared on the scene, The Faithful bemoaned the coming of the end - additional weight, additional computers, and more complexity that no-one wanted or needed. Not to mention that a good rider on a non-ABS bike could out-brake an ABS-equipped bike. But that was in perfect conditions - the rest of the time an average rider on an ABS-equipped bike in the rain on their way home from work late on a Tuesday evening ended up much better off. The 4WD world has been having this same debate for a while now, with proponents on either side of the fence.

It's not just an academic question. I'm thinking about what I'm going to upgrade to next, and a Defender 110 or a 76 wagon are both currently in the mix. But both are very old-skool vehicles with very little in the way of active safety features. Given that I have a young family, I'm unsure whether I'm happy with that risk exposure, vs a relatively young dual cab from any of the major manufacturers that comes with the full raft of 5-star safety features.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Not suggesting that the vehicle in any way contributed to your accident, and I hope you get better soon. I've also had my fair share of "come around a corner, find herd of cows on road staring at you" moments, and there's not much you can do.

Cheers,
Matt

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Now that a bit of time has passed, I've got a question for you. Playing "what-ifs", I know, but given that you've got really good (regrettable) experience with one side of the argument now, I'm keen to hear your thoughts.

Given the accident that you had, do you think:
a) the sheer strength of the old-skool cruiser helped in the situation, or
b) if you were driving a more modern design of truck, even if it was a lot lighter-duty (say, a Ranger dual cab just to pick something), the better driving dynamics and more advanced safety features of that vehicles (traction control, stability control, ABS, six-gazillion airbags) might have either prevented the accident entirely by recovering the vehicle as it swerved, or at the very least kept you safer inside the vehicle during the accident?

I mean no disrespect - more am curious about what your experience was.

Years ago, when motorcycle ABS units first appeared on the scene, The Faithful bemoaned the coming of the end - additional weight, additional computers, and more complexity that no-one wanted or needed. Not to mention that a good rider on a non-ABS bike could out-brake an ABS-equipped bike. But that was in perfect conditions - the rest of the time an average rider on an ABS-equipped bike in the rain on their way home from work late on a Tuesday evening ended up much better off. The 4WD world has been having this same debate for a while now, with proponents on either side of the fence.

It's not just an academic question. I'm thinking about what I'm going to upgrade to next, and a Defender 110 or a 76 wagon are both currently in the mix. But both are very old-skool vehicles with very little in the way of active safety features. Given that I have a young family, I'm unsure whether I'm happy with that risk exposure, vs a relatively young dual cab from any of the major manufacturers that comes with the full raft of 5-star safety features.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Not suggesting that the vehicle in any way contributed to your accident, and I hope you get better soon. I've also had my fair share of "come around a corner, find herd of cows on road staring at you" moments, and there's not much you can do.

Cheers,
Matt

Hey Matt,

It is an interesting question that you put to me.
I am unsure whether a different vehicle put under the same situation would be better, all I do know is that non of the 2 airbags in the landcruiser went off. This is due to me totally missing the buffalo, but then I did clip a drain (apparently) which started the tumbling. I know side airbags etc may have been much better but I cannot say that a different vehicle rolling 6+ times would hold up better. I do not even know if I had have had passengers if they would be alive. All I know is that there are reasons for the 5 star safety ratings and they have done extensive testing with them.

I have considered the Defender since the accident and do not think I will be going there, as for the others like the Ranger, Hilux, etc maybe. But I do not know if they will suit my needs.

Also in consideration is what if I didn't swerve and just hit the 3 tonne buffalo, would there be a different outcome? Too much guessing for me, I will just stick to the facts in which I am lucky to still be here being able to type this. And am unsure if I will get a landcruiser or something else.

Hope this helps a bit.

Scott

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear/see you rolled the truck and totaled it. I know it sucks but at least you had insurance. I only carried liability on mine since it was a toy, I owned it and hard to get coverage on a 24yr old truck that is built up a lot. Mine mechanically is good though and can be harvested for parts or...used as the platform for the next build. Could you part yours?

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior