Custom Tundra Bed Storage: Phase 1

cwvandy

Adventurer
Yes. There is a 2 gallon Extreme Outback tank mounted to the frame under the bed. All of the airlines to and from the the tank are also wrapped in heavy protective plastic sleeve. I have accidentally punctured the lines with rocks flying around off road before adding this protection. Not hard to hear a line with 150 psi loosing pressure.
Guys at Extreme Outback are terrific to deal with, btw. Great service and very helpful on install.

cwvandy

Adventurer
Answer to how wires runs were hung

Several people have sent PM's asking how I hung long runs of relatively heavy wire (1 gauge). These runs were under my truck from the engine compartment to the electrical system in the bed of the truck. The photo below shows the wire running along the front of the bed (later covered by the water tank).
They system I used was borrowed from the marine industry and is called Weld Mount.
See: http://www.weldmountsystem.com/how-it-works.php
It is an amazing two part adhesive used to "weld" a stud to almost any surface. You then attach a wire (or hose) holder and clip it together with a 1/4-20 nut. The stud can be placed on a vertical surface, overhead and at any angle. The adhesive does not sag and sets in 30 minutes. Once set, it is permanent. The video on the weld mount site shows a single stud holding over 500 lbs of weight. I have beat on a stud that I placed in the wrong position with a BFH and could not remove it. The 1/4" stud bent, but did not come loose.
These are used in manufacturing larger power and sail boats to attach hoses, wire runs, equipment...almost anything to the inside of the hull of boats. I have used them extensively to avoid drilling holes and have hung long, large wire runs along the frame of my rig.
Check out the videos and website for this stuff. It is all they crack it up to be. A word of caution: Once attached, these things are permanent. Check position twice...adhere once.

DSC_0156.jpg258845_WLD_60500_PPM.jpegDSC_0152.jpgDSC_0151.jpg

cwvandy

Adventurer
Solar Panel

I would think so. With a sheer strength of over 400 lbs per stud, it should work pretty well.

alaska101

Observer
thanx for the shots. sorry for not replying i was away. i have some custom slides to get made for my trailer and the shot will help a lot...

cwvandy

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words. This has been a fun project and inspired my what many others have shared on the Portal.
Today, as my final project, I ordered 4.88 Nitro gears and ARB lockers. With the all the weight (and the towing I do) I think these gears will help with the transmission searching for the right gear and shifting more than I like. And the lockers are something I wish Toyota would include as they do in the Tacoma but should really provide the traction that has been lacking.

amo292

Adventurer
Im very interested to see how the different gears and lockers work out for you. They are n my wish list!

amo292

Adventurer
Thank you. I have already read through that thread completely! Your rig seems much closer to mine (upgrades and weights etc) so I look forward to seeing how the gears and lockers effect your performance.

cwvandy

Adventurer
I'll keep you posted. As soon as I get everything installed heading down to Death Valley for a couple of weeks of off road play in early March. Should find some opportunities to see how it all works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles