Custom Tundra Bed Storage: Phase 1

cwvandy

Adventurer
I used Front Runner track, feet and cross bars. Huge selection of sizes in all three. I used the lowest profile feet they offered.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Yes. The Front Runner feet can work with any brand tracks. Sometimes the square nuts used in the tracks will be a slightly different size than what comes with the Front Runner feet. All you would need to do is use the ones that came with the tracks, if you still have them. If not, a trip to the hardware store will allow you to use them. You can also grind the square nuts down a little to make them fit.

I used Front Runner track, feet and cross bars. Huge selection of sizes in all three. I used the lowest profile feet they offered.

Thx guys! One more research item crossed of the list.

cwvandy

Adventurer
Over the course of the trip on the Continental Divide we were "OK" with the rear seat storage solution, but not thrilled with it. With the rear seats out we had a ton of space but the tie downs were hard to manage and organize. So we have moved onto plan B.
Below is a sketch of the boxes we are having Adventure Trailer build out of their composite drawer material. It is light, strong and easy to work with (I have their drawer system in the back of the truck). I plan on mounting the two boxes with the hardware from the seats and seat belts. Plenty of anchor points to work with. The hinges are friction hinges so they will stay open when we are loading or digging around inside. I will probably put Mac's Custom Tie down track on the box lids to secure items on top. Stay tuned for installation.

Attachments

• SCAN0066.jpg
    SCAN0066.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 96

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Will you have to fold the front seats forward to open the lids since the front seats lean backward, or did you take that into account when you came up with the 30" length?

cwvandy

Adventurer
Since I am 6'2" and drive with the seat fairly reclined On the highway I will need to tilt forward about 1" to get boxes fully open. I left space between the rear of the seat and front of the boxes for misc small longer items (hiking poles, rifle case, camera tripod, etc) so unless I go to full comfort recline I don't have to move seats to open boxes. Off road I drive a bit more upright do there is no issue at all when I leave pavement.

wikid

Adventurer
WOW !!
Thanks for sending me the link to your build, from my build. I have to say you are one talented individual with really great attention to detail. This is my first look at your build. I am surprised to see some of the exact same design elements I am incorporating into my build. We obviously think alike :coffee

I know you had pm'ed me about tire fitment , so I will be sure and get some info to you. I have been just a bit busy building mine :)

I truly wish we could sit down and compare some notes Its always nice to see other ways to do stuff, because that's how we learn
Incredible build. Makes me feel like you thought direction is correct
Thanks for sharing

cwvandy

Adventurer
Thanks much for the kind words. I can't count how many ideas I have found on this forum and built into my rig. It is a great place to learn and share.

cwvandy

Adventurer
Rear compartment box mounting

Began to prepare for the arrival of the Adventure trailer built boxes. I was just not happy with the tie down solution and have several of AT's drawers and love the durability, quality and light weight.
Conveniently there are a number of places to use the seat and seat belt anchor points to secure the box. I began my making a template of the bolt pattern with a spare piece of thin aluminum. I plan on through bolting the boxes to pieces of steel that I have temporarily secured to the seat anchor points. The box will then be securely fastened at the rear of the cab and on the floor. I can add some additional fasteners by tapping into the 1/4" plate (which is spaced about 1" off the floor) and 1" boxed piece at the rear. The front of the boxes will rest on 4 small adjustable feet that are simply to support the very front of the box. The floor is anything but flat so figuring out how to provide a flat surface for mounting is a bit tricky.
Boxes arrive this week and should have in by weekend.

Attachments

• DSC_0193.jpg
    DSC_0193.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0191 2.jpg
    DSC_0191 2.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_0192.jpg
    DSC_0192.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0191.jpg
    DSC_0191.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 96

cwvandy

Adventurer
Received the boxes from Adventure Trailers. A bit of a miscommunication on which way the tops opened, but AT made it right with a very significant and fair price reduction. In the end, it really didn't make any difference in the utility of the storage.
The quality was top notch. The fit, perfect. Used this on a multi day camping and kayaking trip and the boxes were a huge addition for storage capacity, moving weight to the center of the truck and clutter out of the truck bed. And, as it turns out, we don't have to move the seats forward to open the storage. The seat and seat belt anchor points made the boxes rock solid. They are not going anywhere and can carry a bunch of stuff. Very happy with the addition.

Attachments

• DSC_0191.jpg
    DSC_0191.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_0193.jpg
    DSC_0193.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0194.jpg
    DSC_0194.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 111

eaneumann

Adventurer
Great build! I also have a Tundra, lots of great ideas here. I found your thread searching for ideas on a topper support. Did you use steel or aluminum? How much does it weigh? I have all of the tools to fabricate one out of steel, but I'm concerned about weight. I would have to have someone else build it if it's aluminum. Also, how did you attach it to your topper and the topper to the bed? Thanks! Again, awesome build!

cwvandy

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words eaneumann.
The frame is made of steel with an aluminum bottom in the drop down shelf. I moved the frame before the drop down shelf was installed and guess that it weighs somewhere around 40 lbs. The tube diameter I used was probably overkill and smaller diameter tube could probably be used to save weight.
The frame was fit into the topper while it was off the truck and was built into it. It is bolted through the "lip"at the base of the topper and through the roof and into the track for the roof rack (the bolts actually come from the top, through the track, roof and into the frame). This was done for strength but also so when I removed the topper the frame comes off with it. I can lift the whole topper off the truck with a ceiling pulley lift system I have in the garage. Only thing I need to do is disconnect the water fill hoses that go through the topper. Whole process takes about 10 minutes.

cwvandy

Adventurer
Backseat storage complete

I have been using the new seat storage boxes for a couple of months and finally got around to finishing the project. These boxes have been one of the best storage additions to date. They are easy to use, move weight to the center of the truck and they really clear up the back. All that I found was needed were gas struts to hold the boxes open when loading/unloading and tie downs for the items I carried on top. Four Mac's Custom Tie down rails and a couple of 15 lbs. lift gas struts and it is done. Before and after photos below.

Attachments

• DSC_0192 2.jpg
    DSC_0192 2.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_0192.jpg
    DSC_0192.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0196.jpg
    DSC_0196.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 140

lawdot74

I spent the last few hours reading through the thread. Beautiful build. Many great ideas to add to the list with some even conflicting with pre-existing plans. I've got a '16 Tundra in the works currently. I preferenced a crewmax but keep going back and forth regarding the cab and bed sizes. I will be using the cab for five people on long trips so went with the crewmax, but I often see builds like this that cause me to question that decision. Once the back seaters move out I might even consider a similar rear seat system.

How critical would the extra foot of bed space have been in your build? Obviously many dimensions would have changed, but would the difference have been significant in your situation?

TIA,

Law

Last edited:

cwvandy

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback Law. I, too, found many ideas reading through the Portal.
I really have all the room I need. I also was stepping up from a Tacoma so this bed seems cavernous to me. I can't think of one time that we needed more space, particularly since using the back for storage. I already am able to fill this beyond a wise gross vehicle weight so more space would make this worse for me. We don't have kids and have not needed to haul other people in our rig.

I think if you were considering sleeping in the back (or putting on a 4-wheel camper) that the extra length might be nice, but i sleep in a roof tent so it really isn't necessary. I could be wrong, but I also recall the longer bed trucks being longer overall as well. This thing is a beast already and I did not want it any longer overall and even less maneuverable.

The '16 is a really nice truck with some nice improvements. I think you are really going to like the rig!

dieck

Adventurer
I realize this is an old post, but I'm curious about the sink on the end. Is it permanently attached?

Great setup!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier