Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?

4x4tripping

Adventurer
-
I will start the panamericana in the next days. This time without an specific time frame, or route plans. I will decide during the day - what I will do on the next day. I`m 40 now and always dreamed about an extended or big trip. There is no timeframe who looks perfect for something like that. In the early 20`s I had not enough money. Later the career don't called for an break. With 40 both doesn't looks better, to be honest. But sometimes we have to risk something.
-
Time is the most valuable what we have - why not risking something - to take time for ourself? We don't know if we are able to travel that way when we are retired. So I did quit my job and will start in the next days.
-
header-adventure-overland-4x4-3.jpg

-
Here you can follow my journey:
-
http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com
-
Like on our transafrica - I will report in SMS Style over my two-way satellite-Messenger - till I have an Internet connection to upload larger text and pictures. I hope to write on a daily base - but when travelling extended and without an exact schedule, this may be hard to write that often.
-
For the Transafrica I was well prepared, had a tight schedule, a booked car shipping homewards - I love the freedom who comes with the new trip!
-
My funds are not very high, but for overlanding you (should) not need much money. No Hotels, not much restaurant food, wild camping - helps to save money.
-
Looks like i can`t finish the translation of my transafrica diary Thread @expeditionportal - before my next trip is done: Transafrica with a Land Cruiser 200 (Diesel)
-
But i`m shure to find the time to work on the translations in the future. But back to my upcoming journey :)
-
I will try too to keep you updated here.
-
4x4tripping

Last edited:

parkkitchings

Adventurer
You are correct sir.... time is the most important thing we have. I recently sold and walked away from a business wherein I was making a decent living. Could have kept at it and socked away more funds but I woke up one morning and realized just how important time is. I've basically been travelling pretty much since May of this year and haven't regretted a minute of it.

Good luck with your travels and I'll be following along.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Thanks for your comments! Now I`m since some days in Ushuaia, and are waiting for the arrival of my container who hopefully contains my car :sombrero:

I did feel the limitations of the live as Packpacker, who have to book Tours or use the official Bus-Lines. I miss the travelling liberty we have as self driving overlanders, to stop where we want, to rest where we want, to light a fire an enjoying the nature....

Unfortunately not just the Hotels and Hostels are fully booked, also the rental cars aren't available. I`m happy that I was able to book an Hotel, bevor for the last Rooms was sold for over 2500 USD/Week - here is high season.

Ushuaia-See-Seite.jpg

tierra-del-fuego-nationalpark-2.jpg

tierra-del-fuego-nationalpark-biber1.jpg

More pictures and more detailed experiences you can find in the travel blog and diary: http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com

4x4tripping

4x4tripping

Adventurer
There are some new updates in the Blog - here just some short notes.

It is very relaxed to have enough time during traveling. I was a full week in Ushuaia, did a lot of trips, but also some days where I just walk through the city and relax. But I still miss my car - and hope that he arrive soon.

I did meet many interesting people, and start to get a feeling for traveling alone.

The catch of the day (out of the aquarium for shure). These Kingcrabs are.... Very tasty!

leckere-krabben.jpg

The animals you will not miss, if you visit Ushuaia

ushuaia-beagle-boottrip-2.JPG

an amazing szenery seen on an booked 4x4 trip

ushuaia-4x4-tour-die-erste-anden-überquerung-haus-am-see.jpg

another perspective of Ushuaia

ushuaia-aussicht.jpg

The diary and a lot more of pictures you will find here: http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com

4x4tripping

4x4tripping

Adventurer
There happens a lot in the meantime. I did have a nice time in Buenos Aires, a very nice city! I like the city from the beginning.

I did a lot what i should not do as a tourist - running around at night with my camera, visiting "no-go" areas, using my smartphone to find my way and so on.

And finally I was able to get my car out of the Port of Zarate.

Everything went fine so far, the car is here, and everything sees to work fine.

buenos-aires-musik.JPG

buenos-aires-strassenmarkt.JPG

buenos-aires-sightseeing-1.JPG

buenos-aires-park-4.JPG

buenos-aires-nightshot-5.JPG

container-verschiffung-zarate.jpg

Now I don't need a Hotel, don't have to fight about to get my meat "medium-rare" - I can do it by myself.

You can find my diary and a lot of more pictures at http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com

4x4tripping

Adventurer
I don`t know where to start. There happens a lot in the meantime!

Let me show you some pictures as appetizer - at the bottom you will find the link to the daily diary and a lot of more pictures :)

This pictures are a conclusion of my trip till Coyhaique

P1060340.JPG

P1040471.JPG

P1040680.JPG

P1040812.JPG

P1050029.JPG

P1050221.JPG

P1050299.JPG

P1050517.JPG

P1060033.JPG

The diary and a lot more of pictures you will find here: http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com

I hope you enjoy :)

4x4tripping

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Thanks for the updates. Looks like a fantastic trip so far!

It is! Also when I currently stay in a Hotel, and wait for some spares :)

-----

Here also a small Picture-Update, all from Argentina (Mendoza to Cafayate). At Mendoze there I had the first unplanned repairs (caused by my harsh driving behavior). At Argentina I also meet again Roadblocks, the way the locals try to get noticed by the gouverment.

Unbelievable that 6 Peoples could block a road since days, just allowing to cross that roadblock 3 times a day for 15 minutes. On both ends more than 20 cars are waiting. I guess without the two police guys - the mob would solve that "roadblock" very quickly...

The so called demostration was because the village want a cleaner for the school... I had to cross there twice, lucky me that may timing was optimal, otherwise I probably don`t had the necessary patience..

P1070290.JPG

P1070321.JPG

P1070513.JPG

P1070575.JPG

P1070594.JPG

P1070615.JPG

P1070789.JPG

P1070842.JPG

More Pictures and the daily based diary you will find at my Blog: http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com

4x4tripping

Arktikos

Explorer
Stunning photography.

Yes, just about every shot is absolutely fantastic.
The king crab shot reminds me how my father used to occasionally dive for these in a small SE Alaskan inlet we frequented when I was a tiny kid. It was exciting to see him come up with one. Recently, the numbers of this species in Alaskan waters has taken a deep dive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles