2015 Grand Cherokee Offroad I vs. Offroad II Packages

lesabret

I'm currently in a state of limbo on ordering a new Grand Cherokee Limited with the offroad packages. I went in to the dealer in November to order the vehicle. The sales rep and I walked through the entire option ordering checklist on his computer and the last choice to be made was color. Color I wanted was on restriction. Turns out the plant is shutting down for 3 weeks to upgrade the paint shop and when it comes back up in January, only the four basic, least complex colors will be available until things are tuned to production run rates at quality levels. The only colors available will be black, white, silver and granite.
Of course, I want a different color. The more complex colors may or may not be available sometime in the first quarter of 2015. So I have time to consider the options I thought I wanted.

I was going to order the Offroad II package with the Quadra-Lift and airbags. Only because that is the one that qualifies as being "Trail Rated". After reading some of the threads on this forum, now I'm not so sure. Maybe I should stick with the Offroad I and combine with the trailering option. (trailering package is included as part of Offroad II).

What are pros and cons of each offroad package? This will be my first Jeep so I have no history or knowledge base of Chrysler/Jeep's 4 wheel drivetrain variations in the Grand Cherokee lineup.

I live in Midwest and though I travel to western states (Idaho, Montana, Colorado) each year, I don't envision myself doing the Rubicon Trail or any serious category of off road rock krawling. Do want to be capable of some off the beaten track stuff, such as mud, gravel, creek beds, snow etc.

Guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave

tarditi

Explorer
Either should do fine for what you described. I believe a further difference is that the ORII package includes factory skidplates.

You can also add tow hooks to a non-equipped GC and go with more robust aftermarket mods for armor, traction, lift, etc.

AZJim

Observer
Both OR I and OR II are trail rated, and both come with skid plates and tow hooks. The primary difference is, of course, that OR II comes with the air suspension. Which one to get depends on your needs, the air suspension has the advantage of more ground clearance with a push of the button. Spend some time on the Jeep web site and see if that will help you make a decision.

Jim

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Also, if you ever plan on a suspension lift, there is nothing available for models equipped with the airbags.

This...conventional suspension will provide you more options in the future for lifts, bigger tires etc. If you have no plans to keep the vehicle long term,,,say out of warranty I would get the air suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94