The Money Pit Ford Ranger

RangerXLT

Adventurer
They lights on the side of my shell are lower profile than those. Same brand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RangeRunner17

Observer
I've been running a blue sea box for about 3 years plus. I'm very happy with it, and definitely recommend it. I have all my extras running off one. As far as lights go for camping, I'm running TUFF LEDS. Probably a knock off brand in most people's eyes, but for the price and the power rating. Just my experience. Lots of options out there.

Thanks for the reviews! I ended up ordering the fuse box and lights last thursday and just got them in. I went with some Tuff LED's from amazon, less than 50 for two. I hooked them up to a 9V battery last night, and they are much brighter than I expected! I'm hoping I can get them hooked up this weekend, and most of my wiring cleaned up under the hood.

Then It's time for a quick camping trip on the Mojave Road on Superbowl weekend!

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Awesome. Glad I could help. Hope you like the lights. They have done me well. No fading no burn outs. They are surprising when you get them, both on the output and the construction of them. Solid item.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RangeRunner17

Observer
Got some work done this weekend, and some ideas for later.
First thing that got done was I re welded the tabs for my front lights on. I had one break a few months ago, and finally got around to putting them back on.

WP_20150124_11_44_28_Pro.jpg

Second, I added the Tuff LEDs to the side of my rack and wired up the fuse box. I still need to add a ground to it, but that's only for convenience.

WP_20150124_001.jpg
WP_20150124_17_11_18_Pro.jpg

And lastly, I built an awning from some EMT, a free HF tarp, and various pieces of hardware. (I can go more indepth if anyone wants.)

WP_20150124_18_36_30_Pro.jpg

All told, the awning cost about $25!!!

I'm thinking a Voltmeter is a must now. 3 lets of lights, a GPS, a winch and a amp, and the space for 9 more circuits.
And I'm also thinking of relocating the switches to above the rear view mirror as well. Currently they are behind the shifter and quite difficult to reach in the dark.

Attachments

• WP_20150124_002.jpg
    WP_20150124_002.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 36

RangeRunner17

Observer
I'm thinking something like this for the switch plate? Overhead might not be feasible since I don't want to cut up the headliner, but maybe in the middle of the dash or something. That one is 3x8".

switch plate.jpg

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Are you ditching that interior panel? I finally did. Idk what and how many switches you are running but mine are under the radio.
85afa2ca29eb2cd3e1ac515f12b81d1f.jpg

RangeRunner17

Observer
Are you ditching that interior panel? I finally did. Idk what and how many switches you are running but mine are under the radio.

Mine are currently right behind the shifter, in that cubby by the passenger airbag switch, and are impossible to reach when I'm in 1st, 3rd, or 5th. I'm thinking of doing something overhead, with the voltmeter and about 5 switches. I only have a need for 3 right now ( front, back and side lights) but I'd like to have room to grow.
I thought about doing it how you have it by the radio, but lately mine has been acting up, and whenever I push one button it thinks I pushed a completely different one. It might be time for a new one, and if that's so I'm getting a touch screen one.

In other news, I drove about half the Mojave Road this weekend!!! From Cima to Camp Cady. Stopped at the mailbox and lava tubes. Soda Lake was very muddy, but I had no problems. Did it in 4 hi 2nd gear. I'd say about 80% of the time I was in 2WD, And I only had to use 4 lo for the river crossing.

WP_20150130_15_39_41_Pro.jpg
The Mailbox

WP_20150130_16_04_48_Pro.jpg
Marl Springs

WP_20150131_08_53_27_Pro.jpg
How I would set up camp

WP_20150131_12_29_36_Pro.jpg
After crossing Soda Lake

WP_20150131_13_58_59_Pro.jpg
The First bridge going into Afton Canyon

RangeRunner17

Observer
So I've been thinking about this switch panel I'm about to make. I want to have red and green led's for indicators (green on/red off) for each switch, and a master switch that sends power to all 4 switches and a voltmeter (which has its own internal light). I'm wondering if having one power wire into the master switch, which then powers 4 switches and 4 led's will give me an incorrect reading on the voltmeter. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

RangeRunner17

Observer
I got my switch plate finished up last week. It took a good 5 hours to wire the plate its self. Then I spent all day Saturday re wiring the inside of my truck. I had the interior stripped to let the carpet dry, and figured why not. There was a solid 15 extra feet of wire I pulled about half of which wasn't hooked up to anything! It's a HUGE improvement over my last setup. My last one was hard to reach in the day, and impossible at night.

WP_20150201_17_16_27_Pro.jpg
My old setup

WP_20150203_002.jpg
A very dirty floor, and spaghetti mess!

WP_20150206_22_15_25_Pro.jpg
Finished product

WP_20150206_22_12_58_Pro.jpg
The wiring to make it all work

WP_20150207_22_46_50_Pro.jpg
And how it looks now

There's still a few things I want to do in the short term (new head unit, Hydro bumps), but I think I'm going to leave it alone and just enjoy it, and appreciate the fact that my truck isn't in pieces.

I went into Joshua Tree NP yesterday for some wheeling, and left very disappointed. I did Old dale mine road, Pinkham canyon, and Berdoo canyon. Had to get in 4 low once to climb a hill. other than that I was in 2x the entire time.

I'm thinking of heading into Johnson Valley for some rock crawling, but I'm a little bit nervous about what I've read. I know fissure mountain trail isn't that bad, but I want to do something a little more.

RangeRunner17

Observer
Went out to Johnson Valley this past weekend with a buddy and did Fissure Mountain Trail. Absolutely loved it! One of the more technical trails I've found around here.

WP_20150301_09_26_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20150301_10_21_52_Pro.jpg

I have no idea how I made it down that!! This tuck will go anywhere I point, it amazes me sometimes.

WP_20150301_10_17_15_Pro.jpg

Surprisingly, the only damage I got from that was a dent in my exhaust tip, and some scratches. I am however, going to get underneath her tonight and do a more detailed inspection for damage.

RockRanger

Nice to see a ranger being used. You might be able to find a factory skid plate for your gas tank. I know my 86 and 93 had them. If you do get a factory skidplate, some beefing up would be a good idea and they sometimes rub the driveshaft when flexed out.

RangeRunner17

Observer
Nope no skids at all, I severely underestimated JV... They were on my to-do list, only way down there. I wanted to make my own and Cover the entire underside of the truck. Now I think I'm gonna get both of the ones that RCI Metal works offers, and build off of the t-case skid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94