The Money Pit Ford Ranger

Mike.rider

Observer
Sounds like fun on the wheel spacer, gotta check those hub bores.

Why the spacers in the front? Trying to get more turning radius?

I have a spacer on the rear of my truck to match up the track width with my DBR kit but haven't needed any thing up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike.rider

Observer
Just an add-a-leaf... It used to be really stiff, but once I put the tent and rack (about 250 lbs) on it got much more plush haha. How do you like the Deaver's and which ones do you have? I thought about getting them for the longest time, but decided to hold off. Once I get a DD and a Garage, I'm going to overhaul the entire rear end. I'm thinking explorer 8.8 w/ discs & locker, Deavers to keep up with the front, and drop the bed to for a bed cage/tube bed with a removable tent haha. That's WAY far off though

I am running deaver g50s with kartek 1.5 in drop hangers and a 2"block. Currently running shocks in the stock location so limited on bump travel but it works really well.

I'm leaning toward a BTF cantilever rear set up with King double bypass shocks.

I like the bed idea I have been thinking about something like this
c32007a409045f03ea5dcebe99b202d0.jpg

RangeRunner17

Observer
Sounds like fun on the wheel spacer, gotta check those hub bores.

Why the spacers in the front? Trying to get more turning radius?

I have a spacer on the rear of my truck to match up the track width with my DBR kit but haven't needed any thing up front.

At full lock, my tires would rub on the upper arms. It's not really an issue just more of an annoyance, But it did end up giving me more turning radius. Thanks for the Info on the Deavers, That'll give me a starting point for when the time comes. And that is one nice Toyota! That's almost exactly what I want to do

RangeRunner17

Observer
Nothing too important to update on.

I've been long overdue for an alignment and I noticed my wheel shakes over 65 (I rarely go faster than that) this past weekend. I finally had time to get the alignment taken care of and had my wheels balanced while I was there. Turns out that each wheel was at least 1.5 oz off balance! At checkout they told me that my inner-tie rods are on the way out and they did the best they could... I did some research on the subject, turns out that the inner's don't like dirt and rocks that much and are a weak link in the system.

So here's my options: 1). Replace with regular parts - $80 both sides, and do it again later on. Or 2). replace with/invest in something like the Camburg heim kit - $400 + shipping but possibly never have to deal with it again. And if I do, the rod ends supplied with the kit are $32 to replace so it'll feel like I'm saving money!
Personally, I like Option 2 because why not? If anything I'll have piece of mind.
http://camburg.com/all-products/98-12-ranger/ford-ranger-heim-steering-kit/

I've also been collecting parts for a tire carrier I'm going to make for an up coming trip. So far I have a latch, a plate to mount the actual tire, and some tiny "bump stops" to support the swing arm when closed. It's also getting a fold-down table in the back, with a bottle opener welded somewhere nearby.

1.JPG2.JPG
I'm quite proud of the jerry can basket haha. I think it looks like someone got paid to draw it.

Mike.rider

Observer
I have a heim steering kit on my rig and it works great, my heims are worn but like u said easy to fix.

RangeRunner17

Observer
Not a big update, but I decided against a swing out tire carrier for the time being and am building a trailer to haul my tent and camping gear around. Since there was no need for the rack anymore, I cut it up for trailer steel. Feels like I have a lot more power now. I'm going to re-purpose some of the lighting to different spots on the truck eventually. No pics now, but I'll have some soon

Ryan Ronning

Professional Wanderer
Nice truck. I can relate to the rant about the room inspection. I have been on both ends of that rant at one time or another. Ultimately I eventually left the Military and I am happier for it. Hope to see some updates on this build in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94