Roof basket storage

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Ok... I see lots of rigs with gas cans mounted on the roof in baskets/racks, so my question......... how do you get them up there when full, not as heavy as water but not light either, those mounted in the center look like they would be hard when needed to put up/take down. What are your solutions? Thanks, mjmcdowell

samer0214

I have 2 Rotopax (4 gal each) gas containers mounted at the back of my roof rack at the very edge, and I access them with a ladder. After trial and error, I found that to be the best location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Roof racks are a poor place for heavy objects like full fuel and water cans. Add to the problem by having liquid sloshing back and forth....

I recommend that cans be moved much lower to the COG.

Just my 2 cents

troyboy162

Adventurer
Not really much you can do. Some people use the shake siphons so that they can leave them on the roof and just siphon into the tank.

If you do in fact use fuel cans alot then, as said above, the roof is a spot to avoid.

rayra

Expedition Leader
And if your vehicle is an enclosed SUV design, then what? Added expense of a swing away rear carrier? Blow the departure angle with a hitch basket? Sometimes the roof is the least-worst solution. Remember that many (most?) of the folks adding these things are working on their daily drivers, not special-purpose rigs.

The answer to 'how do you get them up there' is you get strong. And you get a nerf bar, wheel step or hitch step or a bumper you can stand on.

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
I can only speak for myself.....my solution was add a extra fuel tank (actually 2), thereby eliminating the need to carry jerry cans of fuel.

bat

Explorer
Having 2 5 gallons cans on the roof is not going to kill your COG. If getting the cans up and down is the problem get a foldable step ladder and save yourself headaches and money.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Roof rack storage....

All good food for the thought..... I have used my roof rack basket for carrying 3 5 ltr. cans and have not felt that the weight is a concern for COG, a smallish ladder could make it more easy to get them up/down I will have to explore that idea as of now I can manage ok.... always looking to find ways to make things more easier/practical... thanks all for your input... "Happy New Year" stay safe all! mjmcdowell

moodywizard

Adventurer
When I go out to remote areas I will have a total of four 20L cans on top of my FJC (2 for fuel, 2 for water). Its not too bad to huff them from the top when standing on the bumper. One day when I get a swing out carrier that will be their new home.

libarata

Expedition Leader
New gas cans do not expel the gases like the older ones. I keep min in the back of my Forester. I get around the hit/miss nozzles by using a siphon. Keeping the fuel out of the sun, keeps it in liquid form as well!

rcharrette

Adventurer
I keep 5 gallons on top of my roof rack when traveling. We tow a 27' camper and the already low gas mileage really goes to crap once we've hooked up the beast. Anyway, we have to really be aware of fuel stop etc when traveling, and to head down a dirt road or to a camp spot with only 1/4 tank I like the peace of mind that that 5 gallons on the roof gives me!
As far as getting it up there most of the time I fill it hold it in my right hand, grab my rear ladder with the left and step up on to the bumper then on up the ladder. It's a bit of work but easily done. Sometimes I have a friend with me and he can hand it up :)

zscott

Adventurer
If you are going to put them on the roof I would say rotopax too. They are robust, easy to handle, have great spouts, and are nice and low profile. 2 four gallon containers is only 6" high. Yes they have a larger footprint but I would rather keep them lower to the truck for COG and wind drag purposes. The other option is to get (4) 2 gallon rotopax. They connect together and take up the same space as the 4 gallon cans but could be taken down from the roof 2 gallons at a time so it wasn't such a strain.

Texan1983

Adventurer
I throw mine up top as well... kinda a two set process, set cans on tailgate, get up on tailgate and throw up top... kinda sucks, but it is nothing more than emergency fuel. Haven't had to actually use them yet, but my trips are getting much longer and I will be relocating to the swing out carrier I will build. The 35" spare and two 5 gallon jugs add a lot of weight up there, not a problem for the topper, and not really noticeable top heavy wise, I just hate lugging it up there...

the pelican box is the biggest, but was the lightest thing up there, the two cans are laid flat and are almost the lowest things on the rack..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles